Sponsored by:

question on tire install - valve stems replace, yellow dots etc

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts
Default question on tire install - valve stems replace, yellow dots etc

bought some track wheels so just had some AD08 Yokahoma tires ordered and mounted. my wife went to pick them up since I was at work and I just looked at them after getting home from work. on the rears:
-didn't replace valve stems (granted they look quite fresh, but still)
-the wheel weights that were already on one of the wheels are still there - they just added balanced over it and added new weights in new locations.
-didn't attempt to align yellow dot with valve stem, even though the tires are weight marked.

I don't get it. This is a major national tire chain/installer. I'll call tomorrow but doesnt this sound like pretty sloppy work?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always wondered what the yellow dot was. Why do you align it with the valve stem?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

dots are sometimes placed for lightest/heaviest part of the tire, and/or for area of the tire with most radial runout. These are then to be aligned with the complimentary part of the wheel (heaviest/lights and least or most runout). In this tires case its marked for both. By convention usually the valve stem is considered the heaviest part, but not always - can be checked before mounting then put the lightest part of tire at that spot.

Probably in practice not a huge issue. But tire manufact mark them for a reason. And mostly you just like to think the guys mounting your tires are pretty compulsive about things. which they weren't in this case.

Quick Reply: question on tire install - valve stems replace, yellow dots etc