Used Michelin Slicks

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:49 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Used Michelin Slicks

For those running cup car slicks:

What happens to tires when they have been fully used up, or even damaged?

I've seen people buying used, Generally are they mounting the tires themselves, then taking somewhere for balancing?

Roughly what are costs to ship a single tire, or pair, or set?

My thinking is that a tire with no life left in it is worthless, if the usual disposal involves a fee-perhaps this can be done with little expense for me, and cost savings for the person with the tires.

I've got a project going where I might need to acquire a couple tires. Just trying to look into how feasible acquisition will be, and what sort of expense will be incurred. Any insight is welcomed.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your location on planet earth is unknown. Getting used tires is easy. Getting a completely used up tire is even easier. I use used slicks and new ones. What do you want the for? and where are you? As Far as why someone uses a used tire. $2,200.00 new at your door for a set. go get them mounted by anyone. Used tires have life left but they are no longer SUPER sticky. Once used they are just good. Similar to R compound. $75-$150 per tire used take them to your local tire store for mounting.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:50 AM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the rough numbers on heat-cycles.

Yes, I do realize I ask peculiar questions. I was just putting a feeler out there to see what sort of effort is going to be required if it is necessary while I continue working on other things. My only experience with tires comes from your basic big box tire shop for street tire. Usually they end up charging for mounting and tire disposal.

The specific intended use is to be dissected/analyzed for use in the simulation rfactor2. Here are some videos that better illustrate the level of depth in rf2's tire model:

I haven't really started looking into the specifics, but there is a strong possibility I'll need to sawzall the tire to make cross sections of the construction. May also have to grind down to the chords in order to examine the angle and material of plies. Better to do that on a tire that is worthless than to waste $75 on heat-cycled. I figure shipping cost, if relatively cheap, might be enough to just outright burn through. In the end I either end up with a tire I have no use for, or a completely destroyed tire.

Working with tires is still a ways off yet.

Specific Tires I would be looking for are:
24/64-18 Porsche Cup N-1
27/68-18 Porsche Cup N-1

My location is 49534 (Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA). I really should get around to filling in my profile info.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might go to Gingerman this fall. Short drive 4 u

Quick Reply: Used Michelin Slicks