Sponsored by:

Need Fuchs Widened

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 06:04 PM
Spence
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Fuchs Widened

Need to get some 15X8 Fuchs (porsche 5 spoke) widened for racing, autocross and street driving. Need to find the best guys available to do the job. I am in California (SF Bay Area)PLEASE let me know. Should have experience with Porsche wheels.

Scott
Old 06-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Even if you *could* find an "experienced Fuch wheel widener", I think you should just buy 9" Fuchs, or aftermarket forged wheels in any width you want.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:58 AM
Spence
4th Gear

It seems that with out knowing my taste in wheels, my project or my requirements you are awfully free with your advice.
It so happens that I love the look of the Fuchs and for an older Porsche, especially when the spokes and rims are polished, look great. Also I have checked and no one makes 15 inch, 3 peice Fuchs any more. HRE who used to now only makes 16 and 17 and Monocoque takes 16 centers and makes only 16 and 17. The widest street tire you can get for a 16 is 275 and 17s, after lowering my '73 914 would run out of available wheel travel. Oh and by the way I already have 9s and they are for the fronts.
As above my project is my '73 914 autocrosser/daily driver that I am totaly redoing. To date I have a full rollcage, 935 coilover front struts (by, by torsion bars), 31mm front sway bar, roller bearing bushings front and rear, and 930 Turbo brakes.
The reason that I need my 8" Fuchs widened is that I will be running 345/35/15 Pirelli P Zeros out back and need to widen the wheels 3 1/2 inches to 11.5. There are people who have had this done and I know that a 4 inch widening job is the max they recomend. The guys in my area used to do it but don't any more because liability and insurance issues. It is cheeper to go this route that to try to find and buy original Fuch of this size that were an option from the factory. First you can't find them and second the price would be to high. I can sell the 9s in my area for $750 each...the cost fo the larger originals would probably be around $2,000-$2,500 each.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:19 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

It seems to me you are pretty scathing in your attack when you haven't given all the information necessary for anyone to help you.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Spence
4th Gear

You'd be right if he would have taken the time to find out what my needs were and what I was trying to accomplish. But he is the one that offered his opinion with out getting the info first, not I. All I asked was if anyone knew of someone good to do the job. I wasn't asking for unsolicited alternatives.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:30 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check these guys out:
<a href="http://www.lindseyracing.com/project/page5.html" target="_blank">http://www.lindseyracing.com/project/page5.html</a>
<a href="http://www.lindseyracing.com/wheels.htm" target="_blank">http://www.lindseyracing.com/wheels.htm</a>

Looks like they use The Wheel Connection to fabricate their 3-piece Fuchs.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:37 PM
A Quiet Boom
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Spence:
<strong>You'd be right if he would have taken the time to find out what my needs were and what I was trying to accomplish. But he is the one that offered his opinion with out getting the info first, not I. All I asked was if anyone knew of someone good to do the job. I wasn't asking for unsolicited alternatives.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Such a rude attitude and you expect people to help you? Whatever, have a nice day!
Old 06-21-2002, 05:04 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Spence:
<strong>You'd be right if he would have taken the time to find out what my needs were and what I was trying to accomplish. But he is the one that offered his opinion with out getting the info first, not I. All I asked was if anyone knew of someone good to do the job. I wasn't asking for unsolicited alternatives.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apologies on behalf of everyone that gives unsolicited suggestions. It must be very annoying for you to have to put up with people giving up their time and knowledge to help you out.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:48 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Scott;

Please accept my apology. You are correct; I failed to request more information before commenting, and you did not request comment on any alternative course of action. In my defense, I did notice that your inquiry had gone two days without a reply, and if I had known of a single experienced Fuch wheel widener, I certainly would have provided that information.

Hope you find a Fuch stretcher. I prefer the Fuch on the older cars as well.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:55 PM
Danno
Race Director

"I prefer the Fuch on the older cars as well. "

It's the 'classic' Porsche look that can't be replicated any other way... Gold-mesh BBS wheels look good too..
Old 07-18-2002, 04:22 AM
CBass
Racer

Fuchs are the only way to roll... The BBS spiderwebs are pretty nice too, but I really prefer the Fuchs look.

Those are some good links, Danno! I was actually about to post a topic on where I could find 16x7/8 Fuchs wheels to fit a 924, but now I don't have to!

Quick Reply: Need Fuchs Widened