Sponsored by:

Tyred out

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Toby Price
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tyred out

Simple enough problem, but so many choices. I have a 1982 930 which runs on the standard turbo 16 inch Fuchs alloys. It needs four new tyres whose performance bias will be heavily geared towards grip/balance (UK roads = nice and bendy)rather than longevity. So the question is, which ones to go for, & indeed which ones to avoid like the plague? Also do they HAVE to be N rated?
Thanks in anticipation of a flood of advice.
Toby
Old 06-12-2002, 08:14 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I use Kumho Ecsta 712's. These are not N rated so are not over priced and am very pleased with them.

Check out <a href="http://www.tirerack.com" target="_blank">www.tirerack.com</a> for some info in the form of a surevy on tyres. You will see that SO3's score 8.5 out of 10 but 712's score 8.2 at much lower cost.

I got mine at Micheldever tyres for around £75 each.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:07 PM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christer

Having just purchased new tires (Bridgestone S-03) here is the most recent Tire Rack Data.
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 8.3/10 ranked 5th in the Ultra High Performance Category
Bridgestone S-03 9.0/10 ranked 1st in the Max Performance Category.
My understanding is numbers from one category are not transferrable to another category but rather serve to inform within a given category.
The Kumho's however appear to offer a great deal at their price point. S-03 prices are dropping and were less than $100 more than Bridgestone RE 730's (Ultra High Performance) which were (until recently)rated higher than the Kumho's. FWIW Bridgestone just released RE730 Version 2 so they are not rated yet CHEERS

Quick Reply: Tyred out