Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight of factory rims

Old 03-26-2002, 10:02 PM
Dave in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW... 7x16 5-spoke 968 wheels approx. 16 lbs, the 8x16 approx. 20 lbs. Reasonably light, strong (Porsche usually are), and allow lots of air around my winky little NA calipers.

Man, I wish my old phonedials lookes as good as the ones in the above post. Maybe it's time to refinish them...

Keep the shiny side up,
Old 03-27-2002, 02:33 PM
GeorgeK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave,
Pictures do wonders. The white rims are definitely shot in the paint department. Someone painted them with a loo brush...
The grey ones are only OK, doesn't make sense to spend a fortune on a set of wheels that will get banged up on the track, and by mounting very quick wearing tires.
BTW went to the track today, managed an OK picture:
Old 03-31-2002, 05:57 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice looking car George- have you ever weighed it or corner balanced it? Does it have most of it's interior, or have you gutted it and installed a roll cage,or what? Also, I like the areo mirrors- I have some that i'm about to put on my car...
Old 03-31-2002, 02:31 PM
GeorgeK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Robbby,
The car's an ex-french 944 Turbo Cup car, it has won quite a few races during its career in the hands of celebrity pilots. It was the car that was given to a different well known driver at each race.
It is a seriously lightened car, with no sound deadening, only lightweight carpet. The cage is a factory installed Matter 8-point unit.
Since I have it I didn't corner-weigh it, but it was before I bought it. It weighs under 1150 Kgs-about 2520 lbs.
The mirrors are manual umits from a 968 ClubSport. The rear hatch is lexan.

regards, GeorgeK
Old 04-08-2002, 06:58 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow! Thats about as light as I've ever heard for one of these, other than the original Le Mans runners that put out 410HP and weighed 2040lbs- that's what Porsche advertised them as anyway. I've always liked that ad- w/the 1986 951 on one side and the actual racer on the other, w/the specs listed underneath each one, etc...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weight of factory rims

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: