Sponsored by:

Yoko A032R

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 11:51 AM
J Stewart
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Yoko A032R

I am looking at this tire for dual purpose street/Track tires. I am fairly close to my local track - 75-80 miles away. Tired of stuffing my 4 wheels with race rubber in the 993 (it takes work but it IS possible). I know there are downsides to a dual purpose tire - but looking for specific feedback on this tire - or if you've driven other full tread "R" compound tires to, during, and from DE's let me know.... Thanks....
Old 03-25-2002, 04:52 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey John, I like what you have on there now. Where did you get that awesome tire combo that I saw on your car this weekend?
Old 03-26-2002, 01:20 AM
Steve Shanks
Intermediate

On my 89 Carrera 3.2, I ran Yoko A008RS until they stopped making them. A little uncomfortable when it was big time rain.

On my 91 C2T, I have run Kuhmo Victoracer 700s. In January, I left Michigan in the falling snow, diced with aquaplaning in Ohio on my way to Daytona for the Rolex24.

Slowed to 25mph on I-95 northbound to Savannah where I caught a track event before returning to Michigan.

Summary: You have two sets of wheels. Drive the "race rubber" to the track events unless it's pouring with rain. They'll be fine. Use the regular street tires on the other set of rims the rest of the time.

So long as you don't run Hoosiers, you'll be fine on the street.

For good R-compound tire driving weather look to <a href="http://www.advdata.net/~steveshanks/Rolex2002/snow.htm" target="_blank">Snow and R-Compound tires</a>
Old 03-26-2002, 04:46 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Choosing from all the current tires on the market, the A032Rs are the only way to go for a dual street/track tire. It sticks way better than any other street tire. Yet it's only a second off the dedicated R-compound tires (Hoosiers, Kumhos, etc.) on the track. And it has thicker tread than those tires for longer life. Lastly, it's the only R-compound tire that works in the rain.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:03 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the Yoko 032Rs on my 89 930 and like them for both street and track driving. The tread pattern is large enough that you don't get the "chunking" from normal street tires. They are not the best in the rain, but then with only 6/32" of tread on a 315mm cross section, I'm not sure if any similar tire would be good. I seem to get acceptable mileage out of them at about 8000 per set including track days.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:22 PM
James Achard
Pro

I would second Geoffrey's opinion regarding the rain. I was on them at Limerock last weekend while it was sprinkling and had a lawnmowing experience in second gear!! They are great in damp and dry conditions though.

James

Quick Reply: Yoko A032R