Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate to ask a covered question.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 12:47 AM
EuroSport
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hate to ask a covered question.....

I have been searching the site for the answer to my wheel questions. I have a stock 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe, and I would love to fit 18" wheels with low profile tires. The 18"s I find are 8.5" and 10" wide. Will I have any problems fitting wheels of this size on my car. If there are problems what would be the best size for large Porsche wheels on this car. I would like to stick with one of the standard Porsche manufactured wheels. I know this has surely been covered, if there is a link to the answer please point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance!
Old 11-30-2001, 04:47 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Tom,
The answer to your basic question is, yes you can install anything. However I have to point out that Porsche does not approve the installation of 18 inch wheels on any model which did not leave the factory with them as standard prior to 1993 and then extended to 1995 except the 964 Turbos. The wheels you suggest are far too wide and the 18 inch diameter will require some fairly major mods to your body structure. You have offset issues/problems also. This will cost you a lot of money. These wheels are much heavier than your FUCHs, which will affect braking. Many other smaller issues like a loss of acceleration and the list goes on.
I cannot tell you what will suit you but from the people I have helped on this issue one of the best combinations has been to,
STICK to the FUCHs. 16 inch versions that is. 16 inch 964 Design 90 wheels also look very smart on the 3.2 Carrera but there are offset problems here as well,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Hate to ask a covered question.....