Prep for Auto-X on new tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 03:32 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Post Prep for Auto-X on new tires

Just got some new (95% street 5% autox, maybe DE if lucky) tires (went with the new Bridgestone RE750s 225/45/17 & 255/40/17), and don't have time to put the 400-500 miles to get the tire mold chemicals out.

I have about 80 on them now (30 or so of them quite spirited, and definitely scuffed them up a bit), and will likely get maybe another 150 or so before the AutoX on Sunday (will of course try for more).

Questions:
Will this be enough break in or am I going to spin?
Do I need to worry about chunking or anything on the new tires?

Thanks,
Old 06-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll be fine at the autocross. You won't hurt the tires and you won't have any spins that are the tires fault. You will leave with less tread than you started though! Watch your tire pressures as the runs and the weather cause them to heat up.

The track at the airport for this autocross can be fairly dusty (ie, slippery) and, depending on how they lay out the course, can be pretty slow or pretty fast. The little banked part from the old go-cart track is fun. Many of the turns are pretty tight so trail braking can be used to help get the rear around. There is nothing near the autox site so don't forget water and your lunch.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:10 PM
jim944s2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, you'll probably be fine, they may be a hair greasy your first run. I've run the RE730s and currently use S03s. I put similar to your mileage on the S03's prior to auto-x, they have worked very well.

Quick Reply: Prep for Auto-X on new tires