R & R of 3-piece wheel center question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:35 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts
Default R & R of 3-piece wheel center question

I was getting ready to put my CCW 3-piece Track Classics up for sale. Mine have the shot-peened black anodized centers. I've noticed there seems to be some purplish discoloration or fading on the anodizing from something on each wheel. It does not come off with strong soap so I'm concerned it might be into the metal itself.

My question is:
Can the centers be removed with a deflated tire still seated on the rim or does the tire have to be removed completely? I'm thinking of painting the centers but I'm not sure if the wheel would have to be trued or not on a spindle during reassembly. From the inside it looks like the center might have a lip that sits inside of the 2 rims to act as a guide. Anyone done this before?

Here's the type of wheel and finish before the staining.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A complete breakdown is the safest way to go. Dismount tires, and unbolt the center to powdercoat. Please save yourself the future hassle and avoid regular paint--it will ALWAYS chip and scratch later on..even when putting back on the car.

Or...you could just sell them to be for a fair price. Nice rims and I woudl love to get creative with a set of those...
Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you go to the CCW website, there are repair videos that may answer your questions. Jim

Last edited by jim dorociak; 01-22-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:12 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by jim dorociak
if you go to the CCW website, there is repair videos that may answer your questions. Jim
Thanks, I've never seen that CCW tech section before. It does answer my question.

Quick Reply: R & R of 3-piece wheel center question