Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I just learned of Winter Tires.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:46 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So I installed the Michelin Pilot A/S last week.

Here's my impression:

1. It is NOT as planted in the dry as my Summer Toyo T-1R's, taking the same on ramp I do feel more squirm. BUT it is VEEERY close.
2. It gets near freezing temperature at night in Boston now. It feels much more stable.
3. It is a MUCH more comfortable tire than the Toyo summer tires. That's to be expected.

No snow yet - but will report back then.

BTW: I agree - most of the accidents I see on the roads during bad winter storms are the SUV's and AWD vehicles thinking they're invincible - bad drivers IMHO
Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, when I lived in AK snow tires were a necessity
in PA (a mountainous snow belt) we have snow on the roads maybe 5 days, and that is plowed within hours...if not, I'll wait a few to avoid all the crazies in 4wd trucks who think they are immune to the laws of physics...

all-seasons do me just fine: just take my time, plan my route, leave plenty of space, easy on the gas/brake and gentle with the gears.....that and quattro will do (has done) just fine

all-seasons are getting better all the time, snow performace is getting better, as does warm/dry performance...the performance bandwidth is getting wider...they will neve equal the best snow/summer tires, but for 9/10 less conditons they are close

I want these but they are back ordered: Conti Extreme Contact DWS
data: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS
survey: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true
Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by ArthurPE
...I want these but they are back ordered: Conti Extreme Contact DWS...
I have these on my Boxster S and summer tires during the summer. These DWS tires are good in the wet and snow, but not so good in the dry. In Chicago, it seems that side roads can be covered with snow or ice for weeks, and the main roads are always wet due to the salt.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I have these on my Boxster S and summer tires during the summer. These DWS tires are good in the wet and snow, but not so good in the dry. In Chicago, it seems that side roads can be covered with snow or ice for weeks, and the main roads are always wet due to the salt.
judging by their 540 TWI rating I kind of figured they would be poor on dry roads...good feedback on the wet & snow, thanks

In the summer I run Conti SC3's (Audi oem model)
Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The same tread design that makes the Conti DWS rate so well in the snow and rain is what reduces its dry performance. There's quite a bit of tread squirm on this one, and lateral movement as a result. The Michelin A/S also moves more than their PS2 version, but not as bad. Comparing A/S vs. summer makes it easy to see there's always a tradeoff with any tire.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:26 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no numbers, but I ran a Ford Ranger 2wd truck through consecutive winters with and without snow tires. Sure, the dry handling and braking wasn't the same, but it didn't seem that much worse--I never felt out of control. As for snow, that's obvious. For the "wet," though, how long during that test was the water on 23deg road?

Think about the number of times you have to drive during a snowstorm when the highway crews are on the ball. They salt, they plow, and they're ready. It's 20 degrees and overcast. The salt reacts with the snow, turning it into slush, not water. THAT is where the snow tires blew away my all seasons. They have far superior ways of dealing with water evacuation, making them feel a lot more secure when there's a large volume of viscous slush to deal with.

When it rains in the summer, the water goes to the drains. In the cold, it sits against the snow piles and stays on the roads. I don't know how deep the test track water was, or how long it was allowed to set up, but I'd bet it wasn't the crap we deal with in the midwest.

It might only be overly snowy 15 days a year in Cleveland but that slush is around for three times that. Snow tires were worth the money for me the first time I drove through a 5 inch deep puddle of slurry on the highway and DIDN'T have to steer out of my side windows!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Alberta Canada where we have some of the most severe winters in Canada, not for the amount of snowfall, but certainly for temperature extremes and useless union city employees (Union city employees need 48hr notice after a snowfall before they are able to start plowing, I wonder if they think about how many people they kill?)
I have also lived in the North West Territories where I have seen porsche winter testing some of their vehicles and even further to the north in places called Norman Wells and Inuvic. So I am certainly experienced in the harshest of weather.
Now that I am back in Edmonton AB, and running my porsche year round I don't feel the need for a crazy snow tire. Having a family that owns a few tire shops I have tested 15 or 16 different sets of winter tires in less than 9 years on different vehicles and 6 sets in the last 3 winters on my porsche(I am on set no. 2 already this season) I have to say my preference for winter harsh or mild would be the Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D. I have run basically every performance winter tire and these are my favorites. they offer the best west/ dry/ icy/ warm/ cold compromise while not compromising performance. Right now I am running a 285/35/R18 on my C4S and will most certainly be running these next winter unless there is a new performance winter to test out.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:01 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

I have to say my preference for winter harsh or mild would be the Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D.
+1 on the Dunlop Wintersport 3D. I am on my 2nd set with my Audi over the past 4 yrs and very, very pleased. Car is very sure footed in the harshest winter crude and amazingly well planted otherwise. I run them from Dec thru March.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tkids
Who are you kidding, 450" in a good year and not every year. Since I lived there for over 10 years, I can tell you if you have snow/ice on the road for more than 5 days it is a "Event". You know I80 is cleared and melted away within a day or two! And I bet you have another car for the deep stuff, right?
Actually no. 450" -500" is the average for most of the ski areas here. We haven't had a season less than 400" (Alpine and Squaw) in quite some time. Last year was more. So far this year our ski areas have over 28 feet. I've lived here for 15 years and you are correct though, our snow clearing here is remarkable. I do have a Cayenne **** for the deep stuff. Generally I stay home when it is really bad.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:57 PM
ccbesq
AutoX

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
I have to say my preference for winter harsh or mild would be the Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D. I have run basically every performance winter tire and these are my favorites. they offer the best west/ dry/ icy/ warm/ cold compromise while not compromising performance. Right now I am running a 285/35/R18 on my C4S and will most certainly be running these next winter unless there is a new performance winter to test out.
I completely agree. I had these tires on my C4s, and now have them on my Cayman S (all from Damon at Tire Rack). They're terrific tires in all conditions. When I got the Cayman, I was worried about how it would be in snow and on ice. I needn't have worried - it does just fine.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Dave White
Racer

Something else to consider is performance snows vs regular snows. You lose a lot of snow and ice traction with the performance, speed rated snows as the compound is harder. You probably can't buy a non-performance in Porsche sizes, but for regular cars, you may have a choice. The trade off is handling on dry/wet vs snow/ice performance. That is why I choose non performance Blizzaks for my Audi as I want the best traction possible when the going gets really bad, as it does here in Cleveland. Tire rack has a test somewhere on their site that shows the performance snows only slightly better than all seasons.
Here is one comparing performance to non performance snows: test
Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave White
Something else to consider is performance snows vs regular snows. You lose a lot of snow and ice traction with the performance, speed rated snows as the compound is harder. You probably can't buy a non-performance in Porsche sizes, but for regular cars, you may have a choice. The trade off is handling on dry/wet vs snow/ice performance. That is why I choose non performance Blizzaks for my Audi as I want the best traction possible when the going gets really bad, as it does here in Cleveland. Tire rack has a test somewhere on their site that shows the performance snows only slightly better than all seasons.
Agreed. There is a very big difference between the two. I wish there were sizes for the TT, but there are none.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave White
I do agree with this, but even up here in AB, Canada, after a heavy snow, all major roads, and bus routes are either plowed or sanded within 24 hours, even then there are very few days with snow actually on the ground. This is why I prefer a performance winter even on cars like my STI. I feel that a standard winter tire is just to mushy for me esp. since I still like to have fun with my vehicles. For the 5 days a year I would prefer a standard winter tire to a performance one, I will deal with it and just drive a little more cautiously. I used to drive my AP1 S2000 on bald summer tires year round and had no problem, you just need to know how to drive no matter what tire you are running. I think a performance winter is the best compromise for driving in all condition in my own personal case, but that is what it is, all your own personal preference, if you can afford it try out a bunch of different style tires and find out what is best for you personally.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Happy to report the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus performed just fine this winter through the worst Boston winter in memory.

Snow was no problem.
Slush was no problem.
Ice was - well not great.
Dry weather - absolutely planted.
Now that the weather is 50deg + and my breakin period is over I can tell you the tires are absolutely fantastic. Quiet, smooth, and great grip.

I'm happy with my choice

Quick Reply: What I just learned of Winter Tires.....