Sponsored by:

Track experience with Dymags ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track experience with Dymags ?

I have a 996 GT3 with 18" x 11" and 18" x 9" Dymags as track wheels. They came with the car when I bought it a year ago, and at the time they were in almost perfect condition. I've only used them on the track (about 18 days) and I've just discovered a number of stress cracks in the magnesium centre pieces. In addition, the surface of the carbon fibre rims is deteriorating quickly and looks like a real bad case of acne. For the money, it sure doesn't look like these wheels are worth the aggravation. It may be possible to have the wheels refurbished, but at what cost, and am I just delaying the inevitable ? The lightness is very addictive though. Probably cheaper (and much less hassle) to get a new set of CCW's. Curious to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience with Dymags, and if anyone has gone the refurbishment route. Did I mention that the lightness is addictive.

Should I stay or should I go......
Attached Images     
Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow - that's a pretty serious crack. I'm surprised. I used to have Dymags on my Formula Continental car but never had a problem like that. I think I would be talking to Dymag about it and I certainly wouldn't use repaired wheels on the track. On the street....maybe, but not for the track.

Last edited by David993S; 10-19-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Hmm unusual. Do you tend to drive over the curbs a lot? That stresses wheels a lot ...
Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are other users on the Board who have had their Dymags replaced, due to unsatisfactory results.

I wouldn't use those wheels (even in perfect condition)..but I am very risk averse.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Hmm unusual. Do you tend to drive over the curbs a lot? That stresses wheels a lot ...
I agree that this is unusual. I should also have pointed out that all of the signficant stress cracks are on one rear wheel only. The other rear has micro cracks (barely visible) and the fronts don't appear to have any stress cracks. All wheels have the acne though. All my tracking with these wheels has been at Mosport, and it's not a track where you want to be hitting curbs, especially in DE. I don't think I've hit any curbs with these wheels, and I'm switching the rears side to side fairly regularly, so I have to think that there is a structural flaw with this particular wheel (all the wheels are aesthetically flawed). I'm off to Mid-Ohio for a season ending 3 day DE this weekend, and it looks like I'm stuck with the PS2's instead of the Nitto's.....
Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Me personally, I wouldn't track those wheels in that condition. If you want some light race-proven wheels, get a set of BBS rims.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Me personally, I wouldn't track those wheels in that condition. If you want some light race-proven wheels, get a set of BBS rims.
I agree completely. They've been officially retired - albeit prematurely. Not sure yet about the replacement wheels, but I'm looking for the best combination of lightness and robustness that I can get with 6GT3 offsets. BBS would sure fit the bill but they may not be the most economical option.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I know that you didn't 'buy' the dymags, but those are hella expensive. Maybe get them refinished/fixed to sell them and then use that money towards a beautiful set of E88 BBSs.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Waiting to hear back from Dymag re cost to refurbish. Might be a good option to refurbish them and then sell - all depends on the cost to refurbish and the market for used (but freshened) Dymags. Love the E88's. In the meantime it's stock wheels and street tires. Oh well, only 1 track weekend left before winter and it looks wet.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:06 PM
David993S
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boinkus44
Waiting to hear back from Dymag re cost to refurbish. Might be a good option to refurbish them and then sell - all depends on the cost to refurbish and the market for used (but freshened) Dymags. Love the E88's. In the meantime it's stock wheels and street tires. Oh well, only 1 track weekend left before winter and it looks wet.
If you get them repaired to re-sell, I highly recommend full disclosure as they now shouldn't be used on the track.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by David993S
If you get them repaired to re-sell, I highly recommend full disclosure as they now shouldn't be used on the track.
The more I think about that option, the more uncomfortable I become with it. Anyways, I don't think the economics would work because the cost of return shipping and the cost of refurbishment is likiely to be in the few/many thousands. I's prefer to spend that money on a good set of track wheels and just move on.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:52 AM
David993S
Drifting

Steve - really great looking car, BTW.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:00 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're lucky to have not experienced total failure of the wheel, A Corvette c6 zo6, had one Dymag wheel break at a DE, he was lucky...the car wasn't. Stick with BBS,Fiske, forgeline, etc. If you want light and strong.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by David993S
Steve - really great looking car, BTW.
Thanks. Doesn't look quite as good today as I had a couple of off track excursions at Mid-Ohio on the weekend in cold/wet conditions. didn't hit anything, but cut a lot of grass and plowed some mud.

Got a quote back from Dymag and it's going to be $5K+ to repair and refurbish. That makes it an easy decision..............

Quick Reply: Track experience with Dymags ?