Sponsored by:

tire footprint and performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:55 PM
sbmackie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire footprint and performance

So: I have an SC with 16 x 9's on the rear running a 245/45. Fronts are 225/50. The question: Does going to a narrower tire front and rear (say 225/50's on an 8 inch rim rear and 205/55's 7 inch front) seriously impact performance? Variables are tire pressure and temp (assume same stickiness). I have almost no wheel spin unless I really abuse the throttle in a tight turn in first or second. I have adjustable sways front and rear and have been able to adjust understeer out or oversteer in, depending on course/track.

Thoughts: skinnier tires offer less rolling resistance. Better selection of tires in 225/50. One can reduce pressure and get a fatter patch if necessary, (but not as fat as the wider tire of course).

Anybody 'sperimented with this? Data? Friction circle stuff?

Or am I overthinking this?

Scott
Old 10-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is that 20 mm narrower front and rear tires would lessen contact patch and grip enough to notice during spirited driving. Yes, thinner tires have less rolling resistance, and also weigh less, have less wind resistance at speed, go through water and snow better, and cost less. Most are willing to give up all that for more dry grip.

I don't think would be a good idea to try to get a bigger contact patch by lowering tire pressures. You'd probably just get bad handling, grip, and tire wear.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 10-03-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: tire footprint and performance