Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

benefits of running nitrogen gas in your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 PM
boosted475
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default benefits of running nitrogen gas in your tires?

so I heard of some people filling their tires with Nitrogen gas.
Is there really any benefit to doing this?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
joejoe
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

From what I have heard the benefit is nitrogen will not expand with heating of tires. If tires are at 35psi then when hot they are 35psi still (or close)
Old 09-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Also leak less so maintain pressure longer. Something about the molecule size being bigger so doesn't pass through the rubber as quickly?
Old 09-06-2009, 03:34 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 0.9% argon ... leaving 0.1% for all the other stuff ... The ideal gas law ( P * V = n * R * T) - press * vol = # of moles * ideal gas law constant * absolute temp - applies to nitrogen as well as air. So basically you get the essentially same pressure change for a change in temp with pure nitrogen or dry air.

The pressure change will not be any different with nitrogen vs. DRY air for a given temperature change ... HOWEVER, if you have any liquid water that condensed in your tire from wet compressed air when you filled it ... eg. if you filled your tire from a DIY compressor without a dryer on a very humid, warm day you can get condensed water forming in your tires ... there is a reason compressed air tanks have a bleed valve at the bottom to get rid of water so they don't rust out ... as the tire warms up, any entrapped liquid water can turn to vapor and now you could have a higher pressure than expected ...

So one benefit in theory is the reduced water content in nitrogen - that of course assumes the nitrgen has lower water content than the ambient air ...

From what I have read however, the perceived benefits come primarily from getting rid of most of that 21% oxygen - it diffuses faster through rubber than nitrogen. The claim is that it can take 3-4x longer to get the same pressure loss from 95% pure nitrogen vs. standard compressed air. By maintaining a good pressure in your tire longer, you are promoting better handling, tire life, etc.

you can find lots of info from proponents of Nitrogen at http://www.getnitrogen.org ...

Me ... I just use my own crappy DIY compressor (without a dryer) and keep an eye on things ...
Old 09-06-2009, 11:25 PM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acadian Dad,
Thanks for the facts. It is refreshing to see evidence on a post. I completely forgot that air was 79% nitrogen.
Apterr
Old 09-07-2009, 02:46 AM
kingalien
Track Day

Location: 13-C2S; QLA & frequent-flier on the road and in the sky

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 0.9% argon ... leaving 0.1% for all the other stuff ... The ideal gas law ( P * V = n * R * T) - press * vol = # of moles * ideal gas law constant * absolute temp - applies to nitrogen as well as air. So basically you get the essentially same pressure change for a change in temp with pure nitrogen or dry air.

The pressure change will not be any different with nitrogen vs. DRY air for a given temperature change ... HOWEVER, if you have any liquid water that condensed in your tire from wet compressed air when you filled it ... eg. if you filled your tire from a DIY compressor without a dryer on a very humid, warm day you can get condensed water forming in your tires ... there is a reason compressed air tanks have a bleed valve at the bottom to get rid of water so they don't rust out ... as the tire warms up, any entrapped liquid water can turn to vapor and now you could have a higher pressure than expected ...

So one benefit in theory is the reduced water content in nitrogen - that of course assumes the nitrgen has lower water content than the ambient air ...

From what I have read however, the perceived benefits come primarily from getting rid of most of that 21% oxygen - it diffuses faster through rubber than nitrogen. The claim is that it can take 3-4x longer to get the same pressure loss from 95% pure nitrogen vs. standard compressed air. By maintaining a good pressure in your tire longer, you are promoting better handling, tire life, etc.

you can find lots of info from proponents of Nitrogen at http://www.getnitrogen.org ...

Me ... I just use my own crappy DIY compressor (without a dryer) and keep an eye on things ...
Terrific info. Thanks much acadian_dad.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:26 PM
boosted475
5th Gear

yeah it sounds interesting.. and the theory is great I think. But I wouldn't spend money on it for my street car. I don't think it's worth it
Old 09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

I think I paid around $230.00 for a small tank and regulator with hose. Tank is bigger than a scuba tank and I ran maybe 15 autox with it. Fill tire in AM to starting pressure and bleed after every run, do same for PM runs. Tanks that size cost about 130 new filled with N. Refill is not a lot. I now have 2 tanks in the nose of my goosneck trailer, piped to a hose reel in the back. Have a spare tank at home too. Maybe 2 tank fulls for the season.
Its biggest benifit is that it is dry and tires expand less when they heat up. I start my first run about 4 pounds below target pressure. If the day is hot and depending on the course, first run can sometimes put me 2-3 pounds over target.

Quick Reply: benefits of running nitrogen gas in your tires?