Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set of four KINESIS wheels For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Set of four KINESIS wheels For Sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2009, 04:09 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Reduced and re-listed...
Price starts at $2K with Reserve of $2.4K
(as per moderator's rule..)

Last edited by MitchB; 03-18-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Ruderob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did your wheels ever sell?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Nope.

I still have them - boxed on the West Coast...
Old 10-18-2009, 11:29 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MitchB
Nope.

I still have them - boxed on the West Coast...
Post more info here.

It appears your link/listing has been removed.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM
gm1160
Intermediate

Do you have more pics and info since the link does not work?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

There seems to be some new interest in these wheels for some reason...

Give a day or so, and I will dig up all the info from the posting and eBay ad and post here.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:04 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Found it! Really didn't want to generate the text from that old eBay ad... So here it is, albeit a little on the cheesy side.

Set of four ONE OF A KIND KINESIS three piece wheels for PORSCHE

These are a “one off” set off wheels custom built for me by Kinesis Motorsport in 2004. I ordered them for my 1986 944 Turbo Project. The fronts are 17 inch x 8.5 inch wide while the rears are 17 inch x 9.5 inches wide – all with 130mm x 5 PORSCHE bolt pattern. They have the “K2x series” center section with a mesh deign. They are officially designated K27R – the “R” series wheels having the flat outer rim section and one inch larger wheel center. They are “early offset” wheels so won’t fit newer cars.

These were purchased by me to be track wheels for my 944 Turbo. The car ended up being my part-time daily driver, and the wheels were used for about 6000 street miles with only two track days (Driver’s Ed events - not actual races). They have never been in an accident. The centers were originally panted gloss black. I have had zero issues with these, but over time the painted center got a couple of nicks and the outer rim of two wheels got scuffed (Lesson: Don’t let the girlfriend park the Porsche..).
When I made the decision to sell the wheels (I’m also selling the 944 T), I sent them to local wheel refurbisher “Ye Ole Wheel Shop” – a well known wheel specialty shop in Elkridge, MD. – in Feb ’09. The wheels were inspected for balance, runout, and any deformities. All wheels were well within spec. The scuffed outer rims were repaired and all four were polished, and now look better than new. The center sections were removed, cleaned and painted Porsche Polar Silver. The outer rim halves were not separated, and the original seal is intact. The results are evident in the photos. The rim sections of three of the wheels still have the protective tape on the outer rim (one was removed for the pictures), and tires have not been mounted on them since they were re-furbished.

Wheel Sizes:
FRONT: Outer rim to outer rim width is 9.6 inches (244 mm)
Inner Rim width (measured from inside of outer lip) is 8.5 inches
Back Spacing is 148 mm
Offset is 26.0 mm
Weight (using digital bathroom scale) 19.5 lbs
REAR: Outer rim to outer rim is 10.6 inches (269mm)
Inner rim width is 9.5 inches
Back Spacing is 162 mm
Offset is 27.0 mm
Weight : 21.0 lbs
Please note: Offset is the distance from the mounting surface to the wheel centerline. Backspacing is the distance from the mounting surface to the lip of the inner (towards the center line of the car) rim of the wheel.

These should fit 1986 and earlier 944’s, ’86 944 Turbos, and 911’s from mid eighties and earlier. These could be the perfect set up for your Track and/or Race car – depending on your fitment and Club rules.

It is impossible for me to determine if these will fit every application as many Race or custom applications may have larger brakes or different hubs. Larger brakes should not present an issue – but every application is different. I can tell you I put them on my 1986 911 Turbo (with the factory spacer on the rear) and they fit just fine, if a little narrow for the rear and of course they fit perfectly on the 1986 944 Turbo. They can be available for (local) inspection, and I will answer reasonable questions via email or take additional detail photos if needed.
PLEASE – It is the buyers’ obligation to ensure the wheels as described will fit your car. The bolt pattern is a Porsche Only fitment. I have done my best to accurately describe these. If you are not sure – please, do not bid.

Sale:
The wheels will be packed and shipped individually to protect them. If the reserve price is met, I will cover packaging and shipping to the 48 states. Overseas shipping will be extra – but I will work with you. Local pick up can receive a $250.00 credit (shipping is a pain..). The wheels will ship with the original KINESIS Invoice and factory build sheet, and the receipt from Ye Ole Wheel Shop. Also included will be the original KINESIS (plastic) center caps. They (the caps) have some light scratches.

History:
KINESIS has a well documented history of producing some of the strongest and lightest Racing and Street wheels available in the world. The company was recently sold, and they no longer sell race spec wheels – making these a rare find.
KINESIS was a pioneer in developing what they then called their Reverse Lip, or “R series” of wheels. These eliminated the stepped rim section to give the outer rim a smooth flat surface and were able to utilize a one inch larger forged center. These wheels utilize the same center as their standard 18 inch wheel. In order to retain the same race capable rim strength, there is a raised rib (see photo) in the inner rim section.
During development, they manufactured only a few 17 inch rims with this design, and eventually sold the “R Series” wheels only in 18 and 19 inch wheel sizes.
They ultimately decided not to put the 17 inch “R series” into production, and built these for me as a preferred customer from the rims that were produced. Few if any were sold to customers, making these truly unique.
KINESIS has since been sold, and no longer manufactures true racing wheels, so these will never be produced again.
They incorporate a unique valve stem arrangement that eliminates the normal valve stem (and hole) in the outer rim, giving the outer rim a much cleaner appearance. See the photo for detail.

These rims are genuine race quality wheels, and weigh a very light 21.0 lbs rear / 19.5 lbs front. They will improve the looks of any car and are fully “streetable” and street legal.
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 PM
gstiper77
Track Day

Did you ever sell these wheels?
Thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Nope. Still got 'em...
Selling them kinda took a back seat, with ther move to the West Coast and all...

They are still avail.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:22 AM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts

can you connect with me at johnleck@comcast.net to talk about the wheels.
I'm local and looking for another set of kinesis wheels for the track...though I'd be using them on a 986 boxster so I'm not sue they'll fit.

thanks,
John

Quick Reply: Set of four KINESIS wheels For Sale