Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire changer, who owns one privately? Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 PM
SLVR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire changer, who owns one privately? Brand?

For the last 15 years I have wanted to have a tire changer for myself and now I am in the market for one. I would like to see if anyone on RL owns one on a private basis. Which brand and how did you chose it?

There are a bunch of makes out there that all look the same and cost the same thus I am wondering what to buy and from whom?

The reason I want one in my garage is that in Md it is no longer feasible to find a tire shop with decent service and where one's wheels don't simply get slaughtered. A mount adn balance job now generally cost 35-40 per tire....

Also, the one shop that had a good reputation did a crappy job last time around and is too far from my house. I own four sets of alloys to my car (pls don't ask :-) and I am religious about winter tires since living in Germany.

Thanks in advance for any help. (For those who wonder, yes, I do have the required skills to use such a machine).
Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I purchased a used Coats 5060a. Needs a big compressor since it's air only. I've done 18x12 race rims with 335's on it. That is about as big as you can go on width.

A hunter machine, like a 2500, would be nicer since it won't dig in to clamp the inside of the rim. My machine will outside clamp 17" wheels. The newer coats can do bigger.

Don't forget the need for a balancer
Old 12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
SLVR
Pro

Thanks - I guess this not something people here worry about....
I am keeping my eye on Ebay, looks like a decent one will run $700 - $800. I know I will need a balancer but for now the tire changer is step 1.

Rgds
Louis
Old 12-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm in the market for one as well since I'm alway rotating my track tires. I'll get mine as soon as my friend updates the one he has in his shop. You might check with some local tire shops as they buy new ones every few years and sell the old ones for cheap.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Right now I use a bead breaker and a pair of tire spoons. Works good on anything down to a 50 series tire.

I don't think eBay is the right place to buy a changer, watch for an auction of a shop going out of business, or like Tim said watch when shops update theirs.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Right now I use a bead breaker and a pair of tire spoons. Works good on anything down to a 50 series tire.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:55 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

I have an RKR hand tire machine for sale, including the bubble balancer and some wheel weights. This machine is for mounting and unmounting tires in your garage. Mine is lightly used and I will sell it for $300. The changer and balancer sell for $625 new from RKR. Here's a link for the item: http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/RKR/tiremachine.shtml

The machine is heavy and I only want to sell to someone local who can come to pick it up from me in San Diego (or send a friend to do so).

Please PM me if interested.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

How does the RKR balancer work?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kool
How does the RKR balancer work?
On human power
Old 02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

I have heard good things about the RKR tire machine (no idea about the balancer though). I know a guy who used to run a Ruf dealer on the East coast, and for mounting racing slicks he actually preferred the RKR mounter to whatever "regular" tire machine he had at the shop.

Quick Reply: Tire changer, who owns one privately? Brand?