Sponsored by:

BFG R1's

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:50 AM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG R1's

I've heard that this tire is comparable to Hoosiers, but with better wear characteristics.
How much better? How do they compare (wear wise) to MPSC's or RA-1's?

-Scott
Old 10-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They don't normally test R-compound tires, but Tire Rack tested the BFG R1 with the Hoosier A6 and liked the R1 a little better. I've seen no tests of wear rates, but my guess is that the MPSC and RA-1 would provide longer wear (more laps, sessions, or heat cycles) than the R1 and A6.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Go to Bimmerforums and do a search on these tires. Seems like alot of the guys over there started using them as soon as they came out and got pretty good usage out of them before the season was up.

From what I remember reading they did not last like an RA-1 or PSC as far as longevity goes but guys were getting 10-15 more heat cycles out of the R1's vs. Hoosiers before grip dramatically fell off. Seems like the R1's are similar to the Hoosiers in that they'll heat cycle out long before you cord the tires.

That's the really nice thing about RA-1's...you can run them to the cords and they get better and better until they're all used up.

Andy
Old 10-25-2007, 06:37 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a link to our tests, they have proven to be an excellent race tire in both lifespan and grip.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=
Old 11-07-2007, 08:24 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up a set in early September to use at our local PCA "Porscherama" at Pocono Raceway. I used them for at least 8 DE sessions (some back to back), 12 East Course Autocross runs (~95 seconds each), and a three lap time trial. After that, I have run them at at least 5 additional autocrosses, most with lots of runs being late in the season, and in varying temps. I have run multiple set of Toyo RA-1, Hoosier A6 and R6, and Kuhmo V700 Victoracer and V710.

These are most comparable to the R6 Hoosier in just ablout every respect. The R6 is actually a decent autox tire, with noticably better life and durablility than the A6. The R1 is also very grippy in a road race setting , though it needs more heat than the R6 for optimum grip. They can be very fast in autox as well, though I have found that they are incredibly numb at the very limit of adhesion, and the breakaway is much more severe than any other modern R-Comp I've driven in autox. On the track, I thought they were fine, however...lesser slip angles are the cure there, I suppose. For track use, they settle into a nice groove and will stay grippy and stable for 50 minutes at 8-9/10ths. You do have to watch pressure creep on these tires, though.

As for wear, I am about at the point where I will flip them on the rims to get more edge wear (I could use more camber in my SC), though I believe they are wearing similarly to the R6. The R6 wears very well in a same mixed usage. My thought is the R1 is slightly better in wear, but nothing dramatic. I also think, for optimum grip on track or autox, the R6 and A6 Hoosiers, respectively, outperform the BFG. If the BFGs were less money, it would be easy to recommend them, but there are just a few bucks less than the Hoosiers. I'm going to see just how much life I can get out of them before deciding whether to buy another set. If by some chance I get similar life to what I normally get from an RA-1, then we might have a winner, as these are defintely grippier than an RA-1 in both autox and road race settings.

Last edited by 2002M3Drew; 11-08-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:29 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a set on my 944 for autox, and my girlfriend and her dad run them on their 330izhp.

First of all- widths. Normally 265s all around on 8.5 wheels on the zhp- they rubbed the strut AND the wheel wells, so they backed off to a 245 all around and it is the size it should be.

I'm running 225 on a 7" and 245 on an 8". I've had NO problems with rubbing in the back, but the tires will rub at full lock in the front (melted a bit of my wheel well). I will probably just add something to reduce steering travel. Car is not (yet) lowered.

I disagree with Drew on the numbness. They make enough noise that you know when you're just at maximum grip and when you're well overdriving the tire before they break loose.
It is hard to get these too hot in autocross; it takes about 5-6 runs back to back (fun run setting) to get them too hot. For competition, I don't spray them off.

On the 944, they get hardly any roll over with very reasonable tire pressures.
On the ZHP, they roll over BADLY because that car is so camber-challenged, but the tires take it and ask for more. They've already lasted about twice as many runs as when the Hoosier A6s corded.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting you mention rubbing. The 245s in th back of my car are rubbing as well, unlike the Hoosiers or RA-1s in same sizes.

Also interesting, my R1s make no noise whatsoever.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that tire pressures makes a big difference whether or not a tire will give you feedback. Atleast for my MPSC's.
Try playing with the pressures.

-Scott

Quick Reply: BFG R1's