Black Chrome Wheel Finish

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 02:58 AM
sundayrider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Chrome Wheel Finish

Hi,
I have some curb rash on one of my wheels and when I went down to get an estimate on repair at my local wheel repair shop I saw some wheels with what they called a Black Chrome finish. It looked really sharp and now I am considering having my wheels re-finished in Black Chrome. The finish was not a dark black, but rather something lighter and grayish. It looked like the finish on the older BMW M5 wheels, which I believe they call hyper silver. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this finish on their wheels. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this topic. I also searched on the Internet and was unable to find any pics which matched what I saw.
Thanks!
Sundayrider
Old 11-22-2006, 10:27 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just keep in mind that unless it's a color a finish shop can offer they won't be able to match it. The diamond black finish on a BBS wheel is a 6 layer paint - all different colors. Nobody can duplicate it without having to paint all four.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Just keep in mind that unless it's a color a finish shop can offer they won't be able to match it. The diamond black finish on a BBS wheel is a 6 layer paint - all different colors. Nobody can duplicate it without having to paint all four.
Oh crap - I hope I never scratch up my BBS RS-GTs...

Diamond black is a BEAUTIFUL wheel finish. There is a finish on some Volk wheels that kind of a shinier diamond black - it also looks great. I think it's called Mercury Silver or something like that.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

I just did a set of 996 TT wheels like the finish on the M5 ..its a type of black chrome.. They look great.....
Old 03-07-2007, 02:25 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Black Chrome" is widely available at wheel refinishing shops. I am guessing they all buy from the same paint manufacturer. It is a multistep process and can be had in a few different hues.

there is a shop here locally that does a fair amount of refinishing in that style.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2007, 01:56 PM
wheeldoc
2nd Gear

Hi folks,

There are several different types of “Black Chrome” out there that I know of. Some are actually a painted finish, and some are not. The best type I know of is a finish called “Permastar” which is a process that is intended to replace chrome-dipping.

Chromeplate is a difficult, expensive and very high-maintenance finish, especially for wheels. Chromed wheels are more brittle than usual, vulnerable to damage, and once the finish is broken or scraped, the chrome will begin to flake off. Additionally, in areas like New England which use road salt, running on chrome during the winter will significantly shorten the life of the finish as the salt eats away at the chrome. Rechroming wheels is also an enormous pain in the rear axle, as there are very few decent chromeplaters left in the US. Liquid chrome is incredibly toxic, and the EPA’s regulations are accordingly draconian.

All this means that chromeplating is essentially on the way out. The EU is about to ban it if it has not already, and the writing is on the wall in the US as well. Permastar is the newest replacement finish. Instead of dipping a wheel in liquid chrome, the Permastar process magnetizes the wheel in a vacuum chamber and blows a dry chrome dust over it, which is then baked on like a powdercoat. The resulting finish is as tough as a powdercoat, will not flake even when damaged, can be clearcoated to seal it from water and salt, and has a shine and luster that rivals or betters that of chrome, IMHO. The finish comes in a normal bright chrome and in a black chrome that is simply breathtaking.

Permastar is a European-developed process, but several US vendors have licensed it, and are negotiating with the major car manufacturers. Not to blow our own horn too much, but Rim And Wheel Works is one of the only wheel shops in the US that has access to this finish through our own relationships to the vendors involved. We are also testing several different types of painted-chrome finishes at the moment.

Hope this helps,

Sean Phillips
Operations Manager
Rim And Wheel Works, Inc.
Waltham, MA
781-547-5826
Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't supposed you guys have an operation in Md?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:26 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wheeldoc, shoot me a PM or email at pacwestperformance1 (at) telus (dot) net

I am interested in getting some of my wheels done with your process. I am not all that happy with my the folks I deal with here for the painted "black chrome"

Cheers
Old 03-19-2007, 01:21 PM
wheeldoc
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Kolshak
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't supposed you guys have an operation in Md?
You're quite welcome.
Sorry, we're just in Waltham, Mass, but we get wheels shipped in from everywhere.

Sean Phillips
Operations Manager
Rim And Wheel Works, Inc.
Waltham, MA.
781-547-5826

Last edited by wheeldoc; 03-19-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:38 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I've never liked chrome plated anything that's under stress. It hides too many things under the surface like stress cracks and what not. By the time you notice it on the surface its usually done catastrophic damage under it and the item will fail in use. Lots of times thats how you find out the item is damaged, it broke at speed on the road or track.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:39 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.wheelmedic.com is another source here on the east coast to get the permastar coating done. I've seen what they can do first hand and it is awesome. The plan is to have my FM-10's done in early May in the black chrome. I'll post some pics here when I get them done.

The owner had me take a rock and smash one of the wheels as hard as I could. It didn't scratch or chip the wheel in any way, shape, or form. Pretty cool stuff. LIke WheelDoc said, they are in the process of signing on with major auto makers, so we will start seeing this finish on wheels in the masses within the next couple of years.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Rick Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

There is this stuff. Anyone heard of it or better yet used it?

http://www.motostorm.com/gpage.html2.html

HYPERBLACK. THIS PAINT CANNOT BE FOUND ANYWHERE ELSE! FINALLY RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC! THIS COATING USED TO BE AVAILABLE TO AFTERMARKET WHEEL COMPANIES ONLY. NOW WE HAVE DECIDED TO MAKE IT AVAILABLE FOR ANYONE TO CREATE A DARK HYPERBLACK CHROME FINISH. IT HAS A DARK MERCURY APPEARANCE IN LOW LIGHT ENVIRONMENTS AND AN UNSURPASSED BRIGHT BLACK CHROME EFFECT IN BRIGHTER LIGHT. SOME CALL IT LIQUID MERCURY BUT WE CALL IT HYPERBLACK. ONE OUNCE OF THIS COATING WILL COVER APPROXIMATELY TWO SQUARE FEET. HYPERBLACK CAN BE APPLIED TO NUMEROUS MATERIALS SUCH AS METAL, WOOD, PLASTIC(LEXAN, PET, PMMA, STYRENE, ABS, HDPE) ETC. A BLACK GLOSSY URETHANE BASE IS REQUIRED TO GET THE HYPERBLACK LOOK. EACH PURCHASE COMES WITH DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS TO GUIDE YOU ALONG. CAN BE SPRAYED WITH AN AIRBRUSH, HVLP, CONVENTIONAL OR DETAIL PAINT GUN. REQUIRES NO REDUCER OR CATALYST. JUST POUR AND SPRAY!!

1/2 pint (8oz).................. $60

Pint (16oz).....................$110

Quart (32 oz)..................$215

Gallon (128 oz)...............$825
Old 05-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Permastar Black Chrome

[QUOTE=wheeldoc]...The finish comes in a normal bright chrome and in a black chrome that is simply breathtaking...
Permastar is a European-developed process, but several US vendors have licensed it, and are negotiating with the major car manufacturers. Not to blow our own horn too much, but Rim And Wheel Works is one of the only wheel shops in the US that has access to this finish through our own relationships to the vendors involved. We are also testing several different types of painted-chrome finishes at the moment.../QUOTE]
Hi Sean
Permastar sounds like an awesome new finish for wheels. Have you applied this in black chrome to OEM Porsche wheels yet? Do you have ballpark pricing for a set of 4 OEM rims assuming no other work required?
Thanks again for educating us.

Quick Reply: Black Chrome Wheel Finish