Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire recommendations- narrowing down choices....

Old 05-07-2004, 06:30 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire recommendations- narrowing down choices....

Hey guys-

I'm getting some 17" Cup2's refinished & am needing to decide what type of tires to buy- hopefully by the end of next week- I had pretty much decided on Bridgestone RE750s- this is a street car & noise is a big deal to me- I wanted the S03's, but, they seem to be relatively loud, based on some previous posts, AND heavy (based on a tire weight thread)- not to mention, expensive- my car originally came w/some type of Bridgestone that really sucked- can't remember which ones- I had never had good luck w/Bridgstones on my Integra- AVS Intermediates were the best I'd had on that car- anyway, I replaced my Bridgestones w/Dunlops SP8000s after buying the 951 & they were ~2lbs lighter each than the half worn Bridgestones- Are Bridgestones heavier than normal? I really wanted something that would stick a little better than my SP8000's, BUT, they stick okay, are pretty cheap, relatively quiet, AND, have lasted >35k miles- hte fronts have more than 1/3 left- IF I didn't screw w/my suspension... Anyway, I'm now considering the Yokohama AVS Sports & ES100's, Bridgestone RE750's, AND, possibly Dunlop SP8ks' again...

Any input on the above, OR, any other tires for a 951, would be greatly appreciated.... Tire Rack's tests aren't exactly consistent & the customer revues are ALL over the place- might be more a case of different cars & drivers get different results, but... any help would be appreciated....

Thanks
Robby
Old 05-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robby ... just installed Toyo Proxis 4 ... a new tire ... on my 86 951 last night. Since it was raining last night I tried them out ... again they are brand new ... and I could not loose grip with them!

They seemed to hold up better than my older SO-2's, although when I hit boost, the rears spun a bit ... again in the rain. So far so good and they do come with a lower price!

Try 1010tires.com or OKtires.com for both US and CDN prices and specs.

Jaak Lepson
Old 05-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Tommy928
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robby, I have own(ed) all tires you mentioned except the RE750 so I cannot comment on that.

The S-03 is the best performance tire of the group. It is a little louder and ride a little stiffer. They weight about the same as the other tires. I have a set of almost new 16" (225/50 & 245/45) for sale if you are interested. I replaced them with Pilot Sport Rib in 18" for my 928.

The AVS Sport is quieter and ride a little better, but it gives away a little in performance. I replace my SP8000 on my 944 with the AVS Sport and the increase in adhesion, both wet and dry, is unbelieveable. I have owned 3 sets so far on different cars.

The ES100 is a very nice tire but it is not in the same class, performance wise, as the S-03 or AVS Sport. The ES100 has excellent ride and is very quiet. The steering is too soft for a sport car but is about perfect for a high performance sedan. They work great on my Mercedes.

The SP8000 is okay in the dry but no traction in the wet. They are quiet and rides well. The ES100 has much higher adhesion than the SP8000, wet and dry, but the SP8000 has sharper steering and firmer ride.

Tommy
Old 05-09-2004, 02:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tommy-

[b]Thanks a lot![b] That was an awesome reply... So, are you saying the AVS Sports compare well to the S03's? IF so, I may go that route- I'd buy the S03's from you, but, I need 17's....

Thanks again...

Old 05-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Tommy928
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robby,

The S-03 has better handling than the AVS Sport. The AVS Sport rides better and quieter. So overall they are equal. For your application where noise is important then I would go with AVS Sport.

Tommy
Old 05-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tommy- thanks- after looking at the TR tests some more, I'm starting to think the S03 would be worth it, as they do grip a good bit better than the Sport- at least, according the TR test. I'm NOW even throwing in the Pilot Sports... I'm starting to run in circles here- even considered the PZero Nero, but, I don't see it listed in 255/40/17- I MAY just have to flip a coin & go w/something & be done w/it- EVEN IF I go w/the AVS Sport, it sounds like I'll STILL be much better off than I am w/the SP8ks...

Thanks again, EVERYONE....

Old 05-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Just mounted a set of S-03s on the BMW last night, not sure I understand the noise complaint, they are quiet as hell compared to the S-02 N-3s I took off and much quiter than the Pilot Sports I had on my 17" wheels.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:57 AM
icat
Race Car

I love my SO3's. No noise that I can hear of - then again the SFR exhaust is rather loud...
Old 05-31-2004, 08:06 PM
jim944s2
Racer

My S03s seem pretty quiet. I've had good luck with other bridgestones, so I would think the RE750 would be a good bet (I've had RE730s which I liked, plus the old RE71s were very good). My buddy has Yok AVS Sports on his 951 which he auto-xs quite a bit. We've driven each others cars numerous times at auto-xs, he want's S03s badly! The AVS Sport is good on warm dry pavement, but they get loose on cold or wet pavement, where the S03 is much more consistent. I can put 1 second on him if it's cold, and easily 2 seconds if it's wet, -no kidding.
If you want wet performance, the choice is very simple; get the S03s.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:01 PM
Jim_H
Banned

Toyo Proxes, I have had them on 3 928's and they are the best tire have ever owned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire recommendations- narrowing down choices....