Sponsored by:

Rims and tires for 87 930

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 03:48 PM
rocketrider2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims and tires for 87 930

Help!! I am completely confused on what rim/tire combination to run on my 87 930. I am doing all the bolt on upgrades and want to have more meat under the car. I don't know whether to go 17 or 18 inch, 8.5 up front and 10.5 or 11 inch in the rear. Or which tire to choose, a max performance or possibly an R compound. The car will see maybe 5000 miles a year with some autox and hopefully some DE's. It will not see winter driving as it gets stored. Probably not rain unless I get caught out in it. I do not want to run street rims and have track rims so these must do double duty.
I have been thinking about Kinesis(maybe super cups or K58, and the new IForged Aero that ImagineAuto carries. Arrrghhhh someone help.

Thanks
Lane
Old 03-13-2004, 05:10 PM
W Wassell
AutoX

RocketRider2,

I recently went through your current dilemma and this is what I came up with the help of many of the same people you have already talked to. I am running stock suspension and ride height (but not for much longer) so keep that in mind as you move forward. I choose the RH P(3.6) wheel that I purchased from Stephen at Imagine Auto, and I used the following tire & wheel sizes:

Front
235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport on 8.5 x 18

Rear
315/30/18 Michelin Pilot Sport on 11 x 18

I have no issues with rubbing, the only issue that I have with what I ultimately ended up with is I was looking for the ultimate deep dish look on the rear. What I have is very nice, and deep, but did require that I use the original factory spacer in the rear. If I had it to do all over again from scratch I would have gotten the same wheel with the additional offset to include the spacer’s removal. With that said, what I have does provide me or at some point someone else the opportunity to return to a factory look as the wheel studs were not cut. Pick your pleasure you have many quality options for that model year. It appears as if you are familiar with Stephen, if you like the look of the wheels mentioned I would recommend that you work through him if he is still carrying the line. If for some reason he is not, Matt at RH Wheels was very easy to work with and I am sure he would assist with your needs.

http://www.rh-wheels.com

Walter
Old 03-14-2004, 11:06 PM
rocketrider2
Racer

Thanks for the reply Walter. It seems that Stephen may only be handling the new IForged rims. I will call him Monday to see if that is the case. Walter did you not notice a big difference in the overall tire diameter, I mean the stock 245/45-16 is around 24.6 inches and the 315/30-18 is almost an inch taller at 25.5 inches. You had no issues with this change?
Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

Lane
Old 03-17-2004, 02:02 AM
W Wassell
AutoX

Lane,

I have had zero problems with the new diameter and have enjoyed the additional traction. The only problem I have experienced is when I was in one of those circular parking garage exit ramps and the front right tire rubbed on something in the right front wheel well, no damage but scared the %$@* out of me when it occurred. I really like the new set-up I have and would highly recommend it. If you spend a lot of time in the before mentioned you might want to stay with the 225/40/18 up front to prevent stuff from appearing in otherwise clean drawers.

As a side note I had the Bridgestone S02’s on my car prior to the change to Michelin Pilot Sports, providing Michelin continues to build the same or better quality tire as the ones I now have I will not be changing to any other brand, again this is my very humble opinion.

I should also add that you might want to talk to Stephen in depth about your wants and desires on the wheels, he will not lead you astray and will provide you with thoughtful correspondence to assist with your decision. I might also contact Allen Baylis over at Kinesis, he was very helpful in my research and he owns a 930 of similar vintage. He can be reached at the website below:

http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/

I used Tireracks specs and found them to be very accurate for what I purchased.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:50 PM
rocketrider2
Racer

Hi again Walter,
It looks as though I will be going with 18x8.5 and 18x11 with 225 and 315's. I am working with both Stephen from Imagine and John at Wheel Enhancements. I am still deciding between the Kinesis Supercups or the IForged Aero's. Just have to wait for the final price from Stephen.

Lane
Old 03-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Alan Baylis
Advanced

I now have Michelin Pilot sport 255/35 on 18x9 front and 315/30 on 18x11 rear. No rear spacers, studs cut before I bought car, euro ride height. Only rubs on washer bottle in front a little bit. No problem with tire diameters.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:58 PM
rocketrider2
Racer

Alan I sent you a PM, I hope you have a chance to look at it. Thanks

Lane

Quick Reply: Rims and tires for 87 930