Notices

SF Bay Area RLers

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 12:25 AM
Omm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StevenGilroy
Hi, I live right off of Hecker Pass on the Gilroy side, several great roads near by, plus a bunch of wineries. Willing to host a pre-drive gathering to do a few drives in the area, or??
Would be great to get several area people together
I'm in Rio del Mar and would be up for that. Very nice collection!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:39 AM
StevenGilroy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

There are a lot of cars in Santa Cruz and the South Valley area, we should be able to do a few drives every now and then. I organized the St Paddy's Day Drive with LPR PCA and 356 CAR started in Santa Cruz, up Highway 9 to Saratoga Gap, then on #35to Alice's, the down Pescadero Creek Rd to Cloverdale Rd and then to Highway 1 Brewery for lunch. We drew cars from all over the Bay Area, 41 cars and 61 years of Porsches 58-19.
Ellas at the Airport is a great location for a group breakfast/brunch or lunch, Watsonville Airport. From there: to South/East: Elkhorn Slough, or Aromas areas, East is Hecker Pass, Uvas Rd, North: Corrolitos, Aptos Valencia, Othesr: San Juan Bautista for lunch.
Soquelglen@prodigy.net we can make a list of people who might be able to meet up.
Steve Douglas
Old 06-29-2019, 06:07 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 315 Posts

There are a lot of cars in Santa Cruz and the South Valley area, we should be able to do a few drives every now and then. I organized the St Paddy's Day Drive with LPR PCA and 356 CAR started in Santa Cruz, up Highway 9 to Saratoga Gap, then on #35to Alice's, the down Pescadero Creek Rd to Cloverdale Rd and then to Highway 1 Brewery for lunch. We drew cars from all over the Bay Area, 41 cars and 61 years of Porsches 58-19.
Ellas at the Airport is a great location for a group breakfast/brunch or lunch, Watsonville Airport. From there: to South/East: Elkhorn Slough, or Aromas areas, East is Hecker Pass, Uvas Rd, North: Corrolitos, Aptos Valencia, Othesr: San Juan Bautista for lunch.
Soquelglen@prodigy.net we can make a list of people who might be able to meet up.
Steve Douglas
Hi Steve,

Just to clarify... you'd like us to email that address if we'd like to be included the in St. Paddy's Day (and other) drives?

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:33 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Hi Steve,

Just to clarify... you'd like us to email that address if we'd like to be included the in St. Paddy's Day (and other) drives?

Thanks.

Karl.
Even though it's been rather moribund, per first post, I have an extensive list of Bay Area RLers..
Old 06-30-2019, 08:00 AM
haripin
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey everyone. I’m moving to SF (first time) from NYC. I am planning to buy my first porsche to take out with me to SF — since I’ll be working a lot this will be the only thing keeping me sane.

Was looking to connect with some good people who love Porsches out in SF.

Also was curious if anyone has recommendations for a secure indoor garage to keep the car. I’ll be in the Telegraph Hill/Russian Hill/*** Hill area. Car is only a “get out of the city on weekends car.” and I want to keep her in a safe place I don’t have to stress out about.

Figured someone here would have some suggestions to help with since I’ll be new, both to SF and Porsche.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2019, 11:40 AM
StevenGilroy
Rennlist Member

Good luck on finding a good garage, may be easier to find a place in East Bay or by the SFO airport, and Uber to it and from.
Gatherings: 1st Saturday of the month, go to Emeryville, go early 8am or so, coffee and cars gathering until noon. 4000 block of Harlan St. ( Park Ave and 40th) former location of EASY. All Porsches, mostly air-cooled and a few transaxle cars, 100+ cars coming going. Not knowing what model you are buying, there is a monthly Boxster Brunch at Alice's Restaurant near La Honda, and most weekend there are many Porsches stopping in, just be aware of CHP, bicyclists, and motorcycles of Highway 35 and 84.
Check out the PCA regional websites: Redwood, Diablo, Loma Prieta, Golden Gate for events. Also plan on being in Monterey for the Werkes Reunion, spend the day, best advise plan on being at golf course before 8am, expect delays with traffic, lodging fills up everywhere close for the Monterey Car week.
The following users liked this post:
haripin (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 11:43 AM
StevenGilroy
Rennlist Member

Karl, you can contact me at my email, plus keep an eye on this forum. Sept 22 will be a drive in the South bay and into Santa Cruz area. More later
Old 06-30-2019, 01:08 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Good luck on finding a good garage, may be easier to find a place in East Bay or by the SFO airport, and Uber to it and from..
Find a garage in the east bay or near SFO and Uber to it???? Ignore this advice.

I live in *** Hill. I have a GT3 and I have a GT3RS on the way. It's not hard to find a private/secure garage. I have two. One for each car within 2 blocks of each other and within 2 blocks of my apartment. They pop up on Craigslist all the time. Just THIS MORNING, I got up and walked to my garage (5 minutes) and went on a fun drive up north for about 2 hours. Zero traffic. No cops. Freshly paved roads through the hills along the coast. Beautiful.
driggity (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 01:30 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Find a garage in the east bay or near SFO and Uber to it???? Ignore this advice.

I live in *** Hill. I have a GT3 and I have a GT3RS on the way. It's not hard to find a private/secure garage. I have two. One for each car within 2 blocks of each other and within 2 blocks of my apartment. They pop up on Craigslist all the time. Just THIS MORNING, I got up and walked to my garage (5 minutes) and went on a fun drive up north for about 2 hours. Zero traffic. No cops. Freshly paved roads through the hills along the coast. Beautiful.

Awesome, thank you! Exactly what I’m looking to do on weekends.

What kind of gt3 do you have? I’m looking to get a 7.1 gt3 and have a few finalists lined up.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:38 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by haripin
Awesome, thank you! Exactly what I’m looking to do on weekends.

What kind of gt3 do you have? I’m looking to get a 7.1 gt3 and have a few finalists lined up.
I've got a 991.2 (2018) manual transmission. Not sure if I'm keeping it long-term just yet until the RS gets here. I might sell it if the RS is just as much fun to drive on the streets with the PDK.
4ng crcs (07-08-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 08:42 PM
haripin
Instructor

I've got a 991.2 (2018) manual transmission. Not sure if I'm keeping it long-term just yet until the RS gets here. I might sell it if the RS is just as much fun to drive on the streets with the PDK.
Nice. If you can manage 2 GT3’s in SF I should be able to manage one.

Are the roads outside of the city as nice as they look in the pictures?

Very excited to get out there.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:10 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Nice. If you can manage 2 GT3’s in SF I should be able to manage one.

Are the roads outside of the city as nice as they look in the pictures?

Very excited to get out there.
Roads are hit or miss. Depends where you go. And the spots with nice roads see lots of traffic. So be prepared to get up early (sunrise) to get a nice drive in without having to deal with cops, people on bicycles, or slow drivers who completely ignore the "slow traffic must use turnouts" signs lol. But there are a bunch of fun roads.
haripin (07-01-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 12:01 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

I live in *** Hill.
I was born and raised on *** Hill. Used to rent out a space at Masonic Temple Garage ages ago. They've since repainted the lines and made the spaces tighter so they could fit more cars in. Sucks.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:47 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
I was born and raised on *** Hill. Used to rent out a space at Masonic Temple Garage ages ago. They've since repainted the lines and made the spaces tighter so they could fit more cars in. Sucks.
Well that and it's a public garage. Wouldn't want to park a GT3/RS there...
Old 07-05-2019, 10:49 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Was looking to connect with some good people who love Porsches out in SF.
Not sure if I'm "good people" but, hit me up when you get your car lined up. Plenty of parking in the city, don't fret. Streets in SF can be bad but you learn where they are and avoid, same with the mega hills.

Plenty of amazing driving roads within 30 mins or so from San Francisco. If you want to hit the track, you should, you have three amazing tracks within a 3 hour radius.

I'm in Lower Pac Heights so not far.
haripin (07-05-2019)

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area RLers