Where to Hand Wash My 911 in SF area

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 04:54 PM
LukeBme
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Where to Hand Wash My 911 in SF area

Hello all, this is my first thread!

I've lived in SOMA SF for almost 2 years now. As I live in a condo my car sits in a garage with no water source. Thus, I have to take it somewhere. I've been taking my 4S to Keatley detailing for their hand washes. For the most part it's been just fine.

Before I lived in the city, I would hand wash my own cars religiously in my driveway. It's something I truly enjoyed doing and would love to get back to it. I know there are coin-op places in the city but I was hoping someone had any suggestions for a nice place that's not so busy and in a decent area. A power source for an orbital buffer would be a bonus! It doesn't have to be in the city either. I'd be willing to venture out a few miles.

Any suggestions?

-Luke

Last edited by LukeBme; 05-01-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

VW has a very large office/facility in Belmont..maybe they'll let you do it there

Did you think of hand-washing, at the coin-op place?
Use their hose for water but bring your own bucket/soap/rags?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:17 PM
LukeBme
AutoX

That sure would be nice but I doubt they would be too keen on the idea. One of the downsides of city living sadly.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Ive' hand washed my cars on the peninsula at a self service place off el Camino in mountain view. I use their hose, soap, sprayer, use my own mitt... Just turn the foam on and let it drip on the car, rinse the mitt with the pressure washer. Kinda pain, but it keeps that nasty brush off the car.

The detailing is easy. Get a small generator and find an open parking lot :-)
Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 PM
LukeBme
AutoX

I never thought to use their soap. I always figured I would bring my own as I wasn't sure of the quality. I guess all I really would need is a mitt, wheel brush and some towels.

The generator for the buffer is a bit more difficult. As I live in a small condo with little storage, I'm kinda limited with what i can get. Best case scenario would be if the coin op had an outlet I could tap into.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:39 PM
KungPao
Intermediate

Luke, I live in SOMA too and have the same dilemma. Any luck so far? I am right with you and have been using the coin op on Harrison. Drop me a line to connect
Old 08-18-2017, 02:53 PM
geemman
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

There are some pretty shady car washes south of Market that I would not feel safe washing my Porsche at. (as I like to take my time and don't want to keep looking over my shoulder)

I use a waterless car wash for my car even though I have a garage in SF where I can wash with a hose, but I just love the waterless car wash and wax. No water need. You can park anywhere and wash your car. (Example you can park your car at the Marina on a nice day by the bay and wash your car)

I wash mine every 2 weeks and I just love the waterless car wash products.

I use Griots Car Wash and also their car wax. You need to use microfiber cloths that I just dispose of after each wash.

Hope this helps as I too, live in SF.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:24 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

When I lived in the city all of the self service car washes were a dump. The best place that I found was South San Francisco, you will have to drive a bit but it's the nicest one in SF.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/clear-water...-san-francisco
Old 09-08-2017, 03:21 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25
When I lived in the city all of the self service car washes were a dump. The best place that I found was South San Francisco, you will have to drive a bit but it's the nicest one in SF.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/clear-water...-san-francisco
This is where I go, but I live close to here. I'd recommend going in off hours so no one cares that you use your own bucket and mitt.

I've started using ONR rinseless wash. It does a great job of keeping my car clean in between more deep washes at the clear water coin operated place.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:54 PM
MBLocal
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Joined just to post this, but thought I'd chime in. I used to go to the self service car wash off Geary, just past Presidio, as well as the one in SOMA. I brought my own bucket and wash mitt, but to avoid pissing off other customers, I'd rinse my car using the wash bay, then pull around out of the way (there's room to park just to the right of where you pull in, where you don't block any vacuums) and bucket wash my car (I'd bring a couple gallon jugs of water to fill up my bucket so I could avoid using the sprayer, which gets soap everywhere). When you're done washing, just rinse it off in the wash bay again. Never had anyone give me grief, since I wasn't taking up a wash bay when I was bucket washing, plus technically I was paying twice. Met a number of other owners of nice cars who were doing the same thing. This was the easiest way I found of washing my car to my standards while living in the city.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:09 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Before I had my own driveway to wash my cars, I used to do bucket washes here. If you go early its not that busy...

Coin-Operated Car Wash
1620 S Delaware St, San Mateo, CA 94402

https://goo.gl/maps/ePKBysoPw1o
Old 09-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

How about recommendations for a full service hand or touchless car wash in the South Bay or SF?
Old 03-12-2019, 01:17 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Suggestions for Southbay area..

Originally Posted by Need4S
How about recommendations for a full service hand or touchless car wash in the South Bay or SF?
So first world problems, I enjoy washing and detailing my own cars and the water pipe to my water hose is broken.

Anyone have recommendations/suggestions for anywhere in the southbay where I can self wash the cars using my own foam gun, soap, etc? Seems like most self wash places have their own water sprayer and their soap which I would not trust. I basically only need a hose that I can attach my foam gun to and water source.

If there are no options as such above, where are you taking your prized cars for a nice hand wash utilizing foam guns etc

I’m going to have to seek either options above until my water pipe gets fixed.. thanks Bay Area friends..
Old 03-12-2019, 01:32 PM
irnnr
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Look into rinseless or waterless washing, it’s magic!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:31 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I've usually used the coin-op in South San Francisco near Tanforan Mall, I've also used the one on San Mateo. I try to take it on times where it will be less busy where can take my time cleaning the car and using the air blower to dry the car.

Quick Reply: Where to Hand Wash My 911 in SF area