Notices

Best scenic/winding roads within 100 miles of SF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Mendossa
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Best scenic/winding roads within 100 miles of SF?

Hi!

I'll be visiting SF soon on business and have an item I want a check off my bucket list: driving on scenic/winding California roads! So I'm trying to figure out what are the best scenic/winding roads within 100 miles of SF.

I'll have a Boxster for a day and have 200 miles to "invest". Do you have suggestions for me? I'm looking for a mix of a) coast, cliffs and b) mountains, forests.

So far Highway 1 north of SF seems like a good bet. I'm wondering about going south towards Santa Cruz. Trying to figure out a nice itinerary that doesn't have me double back on the same path to come back downtown.

Any input greatly appreciated!
Old 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM
13sinned
Advanced

Rt 130 to mt. Hamilton is worth to check esp being listed by total 911 as one of their Great Roads list.
http://www.total911.com/route-130-california-usa/
Old 02-29-2016, 09:49 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Looks like we have a drive coming up!! There's a small group of us who do these roads regularly, my GTS, 2 C4S, C2S cab, Cayman. Some of us may be available to guide you.

Two regular routes to use, north or south of SF. South is Hwy 92 to Skyline Blvd (Hwy 35) to 9 to 236 to Jamison Crk to Empire Grade to Pine Flat to Hwy 1. North is Lucas Valley Rd to Nicasio Valley Rd to Sir Francis Drake to Hwy 1 to Tomales to Petaluma Rd to Chileno Valley then I forget the specifics but back to Hwy 1 to head south. Both meet your criteria, and are under the 200 miles.

Probably easier to gather up folks for the North loop since 3 live up that way. Give me a date, and let's see what can be organized. That is, if you want company.

(BTW, we do the Mt Hamilton run, but that will not have coast for you. Great run, though.)

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 03-01-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:29 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me know potential date. Weekday is best, of course, to avoid tourist traffic.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Break the Rules on 200 miles - go to the coast

Push him further, make him awake earlier or whatever it takes and continue to the Coast, Perhaps Bodega Bay to Jenner at least, but insist the tour hits the Coast. You just have to, it is so worth it.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:50 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

200 miles roundtrip from SF will cover the needed territory.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Mendossa
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I had planned to go north for a loop of Muir woods and then go back down the coast on the 1 and then drive part of the 84 & 35... but now the weather is definitely not cooperating... a convertible in strong winds and downpour isn't really fund so I cancelled my rental

ltcjmramos thanks a lot for the offer! Sorry for not getting back at you sooner. Right now a lot depends on the weather and the car I had originally rented isn't available for the remainder of my stay. It's basically wait and see this week and if things are looking up for next saturday, I'll see what kinda of car I can get.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:33 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I take it you're here now? I won't be available next Saturday, but will alert the other guys. I would recommend you choose either the North or the South loop if you want to keep at the 200 mile limit. You might be able to do both, but one or the other will give you a better drive. Otherwise, you'll be spending too many miles on the freeway.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:09 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like no one will be able to join you next Saturday if you do get out for a drive. If you want/need more detail on the routes, LMK.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 03-06-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 13sinned
Rt 130 to mt. Hamilton is worth to check esp being listed by total 911 as one of their Great Roads list.
http://www.total911.com/route-130-california-usa/
Not a good choice from SF. He'd waste too many miles getting to and fro and there are much better roads to be had both north and south of the city.

Honestly, OP, you could go either way and have a great drive, it all depends on what you want to see, more winding roads in the forest or more coast, more speed or more slow. Also, what day of the week are you thinking? If weekday, much better. If weekend, plan on doing it very early to beat the traffic.

Some good ones posted above, but I'd go a little different route in the SC mountains than posted (throw in 84, Pescadero Rd, 1 from Santa Cruz up to the Pescadero Road intersection, etc.) I do think there are more options to mix it up on the south option than going north, but the north option is pretty epic in spots as well, as long as the traffic isn't bad. Get caught behind one RV on 1 heading to Olema and you'll get frustrated.

BTW, check out the Pashnit site for some good route recommendations as well.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:28 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Archimedes that either one will do you. The northern route I outlined is not much on Hwy 1 except on the return to the city leg, and that'll give you lots of coastline. The southern route would be primarily in forested land.

Either way, you can't go wrong.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

My route South would be 280 South, then go right onto 92 West, then left on 35 South (note, the North 35 intersection comes first, then the south one is a ways up on the left - be careful when you make that left, as the site line is a bit poor and cars can come up fast in the other direction). South on 35 (called Skyline) to 84 (Alice's Restaurant). Stop there if you want for lunch. 84 West (don't follow a car out onto 84, as the first couple miles of turns are great if there is nobody in front of you) until you get to Pescadero Road. Take left onto Pescadero Road (note, you'll probably miss this if you don't have Nav). Pescadero to Highway 1. If you have time, I'd drive the Coast down to Santa Cruz and then back up to the city. If you miss Pescadero, stay on 84, as it'll eventually hit highway 1. Then head south to Santa Cruz. If you think that's to far, go south to Pescadero Road and then go left and take it back to 84, then right on 84 back to Alices.

Going North, I'd just take 101 to the Highway 1 interchange at Tam Junction and stay on 1 all the way through Pt. Reyes up to Bodega Bay, then come back the same way. Some good places to stop for lunch in Olema/Pt. Reyes.

Couple of important points. If you do this on a weekend, I'd be at the 92/35 interchange by 8am. Best to be heading up into the hills before 8 and coming down by 11, or it becomes a ****show. Up north, if it's Sunday morning, you can get caught up in the Sunday Ride motorcycle group ride if you're up there around 7:30 am. Second, be very careful of not over driving your sight lines, both because there are enough decreasing radius turns on the roads I mentioned that can catch you out and there are often lots of bicyclists up there on a nice weekend day. Finally, be very careful of making any passes given you're not familiar with the road. There are a lot of motos up there as well, and if you don't really know the road you're dealing with, passes can be deadly up there. Motorcycles often come off the corners much harder than you expect. Take it moderate speed and have fun.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:14 PM
skyliner
3rd Gear

Default 280 South to 92 West, South on Skyline

Any where on the Pacific Coast Hwy., North or South will keep you busy and happy. Watch out for bicyclist.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:41 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skyliner
Any where on the Pacific Coast Hwy., North or South will keep you busy and happy. Watch out for bicyclist.
Hwy 1 weekend traffic slow!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:25 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Let me know when you guys want to venture out a little further....in the foothills, near Nevada City. I have plenty of my own "gold mines" for driving fun.

Quick Reply: Best scenic/winding roads within 100 miles of SF?