Notices

S. CA Timing belt Party!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Socal Driver, Travis of Rennbay posted it once; so I took it, cleaned it up, and there you go! Obviously some photoshop to put the choppers in. I've been hunting for something to do to my car, and post like that!

I personally got my belts from the usual suspects, ie, Autozone and such. But for the S, you need more than what I got, that's for sure!

Jonas, I'd PM Legoland951 if I were you; so far, you are the only one that has come forth needing the belts done, and Legoland951, I believe, has done the S model before.

I do think we should split this up into two parties, one for t-belts and such and the other for valve cover gaskets.

I haven't done either an S or valve covers, so this sounds like fun!

- Julie
Old 09-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i know that valve cover gaskets are super easy, all it takes is the correct tool and a couple of turns... no biggie there as far as i know...
Old 09-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

and you know what? those pads on my chain tensioner should be easy to do, and i don't know if i need the chains to be replaced... not that they aren't super easy... Julie the valve covers won't take long at all, its not like doin a head gasket...
Old 09-23-2003, 06:06 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep I get Super Blue from Mesa Performance mostly a BMW shop but they have the basic assentials
Old 09-23-2003, 06:08 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Default Belt Party

Okay, since I dont live in a townhouse complex or an apartment, I can host this event. I have a detached two car garage with a driveway. All I have are the basic tools, a floor jack, and jack stands. (no air compressors or ramps). I live in a semi enclosed quiet community and neighbors would not care if there are 20 944's parked along the streets. If this ever happens, the pizza and coke will be on me! (great italian place walking distance).
By the way, I live in the city of La Mirada. Major cross street is Beach Blvd. and Imperial Hwy. 4 miles from the 5 fwy. Julie and Hugh, you are only 15-20 minutes away. I sure hope we get this organized, it would be a cool experience and we can probably take pics of the party and the whole belt replacement process to share with the forum.

Eric
Old 09-23-2003, 06:12 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Sounds good, what weekend is good for everyone?
Old 09-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Tools:

I do believe there are several special tools required for this job - flywheel lock is needed to remove crankshaft pulley - which I recommend - it is easier to remove old belt and put new one in without risking damaging it. We need a spanner wrench tool to loosen balance shaft rollers if those need to be replaced. We need 1mm arc-shaped shimmy to tension the balance shaft belt. I wooden dowel to find TDC, locktide to put on all bolts and, off course, the $400 tensioning tool to tension timing belt for pre-85.5 models.
I would suspect Turbo cars require extra work to get the top (air assy. and intake parts) removed to get to timing cover. The S and S2 models have chains which I, personally, don’t have a clue about.

Extra jobs:
Having done a valve-cam assembly gasket for practice at a junk-yard, I wouldn’t say that is an easy job. Certainly time consuming and a two-person one.

I would concentrate on a specific task of changing belts and rollers:
 Timing Belt
 Balance Shaft Belt
 Alternator, A/C Belt
 Power Steering Belt
 Balance Shaft Rollers
 Balance Tensioned
 Balance Belt support roller
 Timing Belt Tensioned Toothed Roller (automatic or manual tensions)
 Timing Belt Guide Roller (smooth)
 Other rollers I can’t recall
This would be the list of parts each one should show up with if they want their work done.

My Car:
I have done the seals and belts about two years 3000 miles ago. I don’t think I need a new one yet. In any case, my car is in a body/paint shop right now and there is no ETA on when it is going to be ready. Since it is a long drive and, in the interim, I drive a crappy car, I doubt it would make it down to LA from San Bernardino. However, the party sounds like fun, I may talk my friend into carpooling… Also, I can estimate, I’d be able to drive the 944 by the end of October; If we schedule the meeting then, I may be able to attend. Sounds like a lot of fun, although, I would be kind of scarred to attempt this job and still drive home afterwards…

Just babbling,

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Good list, Sasha!

I have to see when Legoland951 is available, okay?

Yeah, I was getting the valve cover gasket confused with the headgasket, lol!

Sasha - I would suggest we at least inspect your belts, as according to the manual you do it every 2 years or 60K miles. )n my first one, um, I never changed it, didn't know any better back in '91. Probably what got messed up, and why it's probably sitting in someone's driveway with blown valves. Still want that thing back!

- Julie
Old 09-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Thanks Julie,

I did inspect and re-tensioned them about 5mo ago. I think I am covered...

A couple of important tools I forgot are
a tourque wrench capable of 150ft-lbs for crank bold
a breaker bar to loosen crank bolt

Thanks
Old 09-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

How about something to loosen the bolts with, like Liquid Wrench?

- Julie
Old 09-23-2003, 09:54 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Julie, Don't think the picture is photo shopped.

Sasha, never have had to pull the crank pulley to get the timing belt on with out damage. I also have the torque wrench and breaker bar.

Sandoval, Jim at Mesa will order most anything. I've been buying from them since I bought the 83 19 years ago. Even get good prices on Toyota parts for the wife's car.

Need to line up a week end. Eric's place sounds sweet!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

are the 16 year olds invited
Old 09-23-2003, 11:20 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Yes, you are invited, Cyrus951!

- Julie
Old 09-24-2003, 03:34 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Anything behind the rear plastic belt cover would add many hours to each car. True this would be a great learning experiance and there could be many slices of pizza and bottles of (your favorite adult beverage inserted here>>)!!! So I would go for just a belt inspection, change or retension. Then set up another week end for seals.

The one tool that I would get for your cam cover gasket replacement is a 6mm allen bit holder that has a set screw to hold in the allen wrench bit. You will need to buy a hardened long reach 6 mm allen and cut it down to fit the holder so that it just reaches the bolts inside the cam galley. I think mine is a craftsman. Sears is just two miles away -- walking/biking distance -- if I brake it.

The socket head bolt (allen) under the dist rotor is a PITA too.
OK, l've attached a picture to help me ask some follow-up questions.

1. Item #9 is the rear seal. I can change that without really doing anything else.

2. Item #3 is the gasket I am trying to replace, correct?

3. Assume that I don't want to replace the seals that are items #15 and #27 and #23.

4. Can I follow the clarks-garage site and...
A) take off item #16
B) remove the timing belt
C) take off #15, #17-#23, and the housing and camshaft (and the other associated parts) as one single assembly? Then I guess I have to be careful not to drop/disturb the lifters on removal.

This seems to be what the clarks-garage site was implying, but it's not 100% clear.

If this is true, does your comment "The socket head bolt (allen) under the dist rotor is a PITA too." apply anymore?

Thanks!

-Kevin
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2003, 04:25 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

so when are we gonna do it Julie... can't wait to see everyones cars again, and meet those of you who i don't know yet!!! (plus i need my belts done...)

Quick Reply: S. CA Timing belt Party!