Notices

S. CA Timing belt Party!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 03:49 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks buddy.... well the thing is, i never got the service records from the previous owner, so to tell you the truth, i am not exactly sure.... I'll keep everyone posted....
Old 11-02-2003, 08:17 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Jonas Goldsmith
Thanks buddy.... well the thing is, i never got the service records from the previous owner, so to tell you the truth, i am not exactly sure.... I'll keep everyone posted....
Jonas,

Gosh, I think we would have insisted that you go to the party had anyone known about that.

Are you going to do the cam chain tensioner at the same time? Since you are in there, that's another place where a broken tensioner could cost you another 16 valves.

Check the other posts, someone else just broke a timing belt on an "S".
Old 11-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

I know, i am not gonna replace it, but i am gonna have John take it out and "rebuild it".... I am already spending a ton of money, and i don't feel like having to put in another 300... if its rebuilt it will be just fine... maybe a new pad for her, but thats about it...
Old 11-04-2003, 04:30 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carl came through this weekend!! I have a clutch! Just need to work on next phase - installation!

Jonas, so sorry bout your S; I'll probably be seeing you all down there soon, now that the fires have calmed down (Yes, I still want your S, but I be broke! )

- Julie
Old 11-04-2003, 04:54 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Well if any of you happen to stop by Anderson Motorworks, the car will be down there for a while... so if anyone wants to go take a looksie, its there... I will prolly be asking a bit more for her now that everything is gonna be new... Head is gonna be rebuilt and brand new belts, plus i am gonna have him rebuild the tennsioner i think.... Julie give me a PM or something if you are coming down...
Old 11-04-2003, 09:49 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

How do you "rebuild" the tensioner?

Is this something he has done on other cars, as a standard type of service that his shop offers? I feel really wary about this repair.

To be entirely honest, I don't think you'll get more money even with all these repairs. You were getting no bites at $7500, the additional repairs are nice, but may not get someone to pick your car over another one. Please try to make sure that the next owner knows about anything that might be needed. It would have sucked if Julie bought the car from you and the timing belt broke less than 500 miles later.

I think the only way you may be able to get your money back out of the car is to keep driving it. However, I think you said this may not be possible.

Julie, when are you going to be down in this area? I had meant to come to the party, but I am getting slammed at work. Maybe an event can be done in December or January.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:42 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Quite a price to pay for procrastination. With all of the flack that new "S" owners get on this board about the chain tensioner pad and timing belts you would think this would be first most on an 'S' owners mind.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:29 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

julie, how's the clutch workion' for ya?
well my car will be ready today and i'll be down in anaheim on the 11th.
is there any way you can check my belts then?
Old 11-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Carl, I hope I left a message on the right phone number - I'm home now, check your cell phone, and call me back!

- Julie
Old 11-14-2003, 04:52 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

U have John do it Julie?
Old 11-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

I'm still trying to contact Carl, before he leaves for Germany; no answer on his phones.

Jonas, so you saw my car sitting over at Anderson's, eh? Yeah, John's doing it, things got outta hand down here - like, roommate wouldn't let me park my car in the garage because his dad's Harley finally showed up...but it was in pieces, and smashed up.

I told him he could use his AAA, since he was the one that broke my car; simple, toss the Harley out, or flatbed my car down to Anderson. I wasn't going to risk my car being towed for being in a guest space too long.

Basically I lost the room to do the clutch myself, due to my roommate's space greed. I should doc the rent to reflect that I'm not getting my parking space. Maybe I should also charge him for the labor on the clutch!

Anyway, he needs to get a few things done before I can bring my car home, so I am not amused.

I want my baby back, WAAAAHH!

- Julie
Old 11-18-2003, 11:37 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Shoot, even the best SoCal AAA towing policy only covers about 75 miles - I imagine that would leave you about 10-20 miles short of John's shop, right? There is not a good shop that could do this in Orange County?

What's the total cost of the clutch job? What else is John doing?

I had no time to do mine in 2001, so I went to Black Forest in San Diego. They did a good job.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, my car is still there Julie... If John knows whats good for him he will finish it soon... its been about 3 weeks now.... Can't wait to get it back so i can sell her... Need to get her in the trader so i can get my Bimmer....

KJP... You have to look at it this way though... Black Forrest (while doing fantastic work) is much more expensive than Anderson... So the money she spent towing the car a bit further will ultimately be less than the repair bill from Black Forrest... NOt to mention, last time i checked, Black Forrest, had a 2 week waiting period for service... Thats a long time for your car to just be sitting there waiting...

Julie, give me a PM or a post on here when you are coming back down to get your car... we'll go get some coffee or something... shoot the perverbial sh*t... talk 944....

Cheers,
Jonas
Old 11-20-2003, 05:12 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Actually, we used AAA Plus, which covers 100 miles. John's shop was exactly 97.21 miles from here, whew! Even gave the printout from Mapquest to the tow truck driver, so he knew he couldn't screw us over.

I'm being patient with John since my boyfriend is out of town for awhile. He was getting a second lift, so that will be great.

Love to shoot the sh*t with you, Jonas. I'll contact you when I know when I'm coming down. Has to be after this weekend, but I do want to visit John before the work commences.

My only other concern is the milkshake in my antifreeze - Frank and I replaced the seals on the oil cooler, but the problem is still there. I'm concerned that the engine has never been rebuilt at all, and have been seriously thinking of just rebuilding it now, before we need two cars again.

I have to talk to John about it in more detail. As for the clutch cost, I brought my own (thanks, Carl!). I'll post when I have a price for it.

So, just trying to figure out if I'd save myself some trouble rebuilding the engine while it may not need it, because the clutch is being dropped out. It still could be a headgasket problem.

- Julie
Old 11-20-2003, 03:51 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Me thinks I need to open an OC 944 shop.

Quick Reply: S. CA Timing belt Party!