Notices

S. CA Timing belt Party!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003 | 12:45 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

I have the haynes manual and the 7 volume book that i downloaded in a binder, i also have clark's garage version of taking the clutch off.
i'll bring 'em too.
can anyone do the belts while we're engage in the clutch?
this way everybody get's their car done?
also i'd greatly appreciate it if someone who is well versed on these car can take a good look at my car and let me know of what's jacked up on it. besides driver.

about the bolts, i personally wouldn't use old bolts as they are torqued and stressed from prior.
Old 10-15-2003 | 07:01 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, I don't want to leave the guys with timing belts out of the picture!

Carl, books are good on this.

I have been warned about needing 5' breaker bars to loosen up the bell housing bolts, from beneath the car...or something like that. This is unexplored country for me, so I'm clueless, except I know it's mechanical. I'll have to take pictures of this.

Oh, and lots of latex gloves will be needed...I'll get a box of mediums, if that's okay. A friend of mine is 6' 2" tall, and the larges were waaay too big on his hands.

My checklist:

Mountain Dew
Diet Shasta Cola
latex gloves
Pizzas

Car Checklist:
Clutch,
Etc.

Legoland951, I'm going to need your help with that! Need to make sure we have all the pieces.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate this an awful lot!

- Julie
Old 10-15-2003 | 11:21 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

I think we have enough collective talent to crank out the clutch job. How about the guy who was originally going to host this thing? Can we do it at his place or do the clutch another day? I do believe it will take a while to do. How about we do it the day before on the 25th and meet at the other place for the t belts? The clutch is always a pain in the rear. We can bring an air splitter and use 2 impacts at the same time to crank out the clutch in one day saturday and work on the rest of the car and make it a leisurely rate sunday. Any thoughts?
Old 10-15-2003 | 12:01 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Did I just read "Diet Shasta Cola"????

Oooo! Great!!!

Julie, you home today? I can come by and get started on your car.
Old 10-15-2003 | 03:20 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Socal, I'm home, not going too far without my car!

Legoland951, the 25th is out, due to a prior commitment...I'm open minded to other days - how about this Sunday, the 19th, for the Clutch? You do have a point in that the t-belts could be leisurely, compared to this beast!

Esanmiguel hasn't responded, I'll email him, see what he thinks.

- Julie
Old 10-15-2003 | 04:49 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

I can't do it this weekend. Will tell you about it via email. Lets do this clutch thing separate from the rest though because it will take the full effort of people involved and not a very educational experience because I doubt anyone will want to slow down to explain what's going on to whoever is there watching.
Old 10-15-2003 | 05:35 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Okay, we'll do the clutch another day...leave 26 T-belt day at esanmiguels.

- Julie
Old 10-15-2003 | 09:54 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

i'm glad you guys changed the date of the clutch.
i went to the dmv to get the title transfered to me, paid the 102.00 and on my way to get smoged i got rear ended. yep "murphy"
i told the ins. co. and they told me it may take a while.
meantime i have 550 cord holding the lover valance up, right rear 1/4 panel is buckeld in, lights broke, estimate over 5k to repair.
but it's driveable, it' just a matter of pride when driving my baby and it's held together by 550 cord.
i'm still up to the task on thge 26th, just no laughung
oh a geo metro hit me, and that sucker is F@%&*d!
Old 10-15-2003 | 10:14 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

So, was the Geo Metro totalled!? I only find it funny, because I had a Suzuki Swift for one month last December, and my roommate's girlfriend totalled it! Same car, different names.

Well, don't laugh at my car, and I won't laugh at yours!

Ah, you guys have me all upset now...I want a 951...Legoland951, it's yours, Danno's, and John Anderson's faults! All of you, you hear me!?

- Julie
Old 10-16-2003 | 12:35 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

if you still want the clutch i'll bring it and you can have it, as i 'll be going to germany in dec so i would probably miss the clutch party.
but you can have it freee as you are one of the main organizer that's making this party happen, thank you and to everyone too.
Old 10-16-2003 | 02:23 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Carl, thank you so very much, I sincerely appreciate it!

The Timing belt party is going to be fun, I'll see about a few prizes.

- Julie
Old 10-16-2003 | 02:55 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Julie i wish i could still come, but i want to be driving the S as little as possible before i sell her... Went to go look at a few Alfa Romeo's today... its gonna be a fun car!!! good luck everyone... PLEASE TAKE PICS AND VIDS!!!
Old 10-16-2003 | 09:59 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

does anyone have a total count of ppl coming to the t-belt party?
Old 10-16-2003 | 10:23 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by Devia
So, was the Geo Metro totalled!? I only find it funny, because I had a Suzuki Swift for one month last December, and my roommate's girlfriend totalled it! Same car, different names.
- Julie

Your room mates must be fun to party with!

Sure would NOT let them drive my cars!
Old 10-16-2003 | 10:32 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Carl, Joint the Buggered Club! Those of us who have been rear ended.

Sorry to hear that the quarter panel was bent. That is going to be a PITA to get back to straight.

Don't know which insurance company you are going to be dealing with BUT it's going to take a long time AND they will also want to bugger you. I would take the money and keep the car. Don't think you are going to be able to take it to Germany though.

Start searching for another body. Doesn't have to be a turbo as you can swap everything you have into it to make it a turbo. OR you could shop around for a back alley body shop. I know where to check for a few if you are interested. Costs about half as much as the "regular" insurance company owned ones and gives the same results.

Quick Reply: S. CA Timing belt Party!