Notices

S. CA Timing belt Party!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anaheim is like next door to me! I walk half a block, and I'm in that city, lol.

When are you coming out on Thursday? Let me know.

- Julie
Old 10-25-2003, 04:24 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thurs afternoon/night but definately on friday to get smog.
are you gonna do my belts for me and comp. check?
i don't know nor have the tools to do so, but since you'll be there on the 26th maybe you can teach me when i get there?
Old 10-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Carl, I'm not an expert, but I'll share what knowledge I have, and whatever l acquire tomorrow. Legoland951 is the pro, IMHO.

Gotta run, things to do!

- Julie
Old 10-26-2003, 01:08 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Julie, You going to need a ride tomorrow?
Old 10-26-2003, 06:54 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Socal, thanks, but I'm going to drive the Eagle Talon, and leave earlier than I'd like. Just too many things piled up, but I'll be there for a few hours, at least!

And taking pictures of critical moments, I think. There are like 4 things that need to be aligned, so you don't hammer your valves, so I want to carefully document things like that.

- Julie
Old 10-26-2003, 01:59 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Looks like I may be there later than earlier. Some problems here I have to tend to.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:22 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

anyone back yet from the party?
how was it?
how many showed up?
did everyone get to do their belts and stuff?
what else, besides the belt that you gals/guys worked on?
any pics?
Old 10-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Well, as it turned out, i wouldn't have been able to make it anyway... San Diego is engulfed in flames and all the freeways are shut down (for the most part)... But yeah, where are the pics????? I WANT TO SEE!!! hope it all went well...
Old 10-27-2003, 05:34 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Talking Timing Belt Party Success!

I feel the party was a success! We had two Turbos, including an S, then there was a special edition Gemballa, along with a few N/As.

We changed two sets of belts, and inspected Will's Gemballa's belts. I rode in that, it was sweet!

I did take several pics, including work on both S's, but we did have an unexpected problem rear it's ugly head: waterpump was too wobbly, and then it went when we jiggled it, so spent an hour and a half running to get a waterpump for it, and back.

Unfortunately, I had to cut out after that.

Oh, an accident did happen, glad Legoland951 had moved his Turbo S - my boyfriend's Eagle Talon got beaned by a Pinecone, and dented the hood! Took pics of that, wondering if I should go after the City for it, off their easement.

Anyway, things went pretty good, took lots of pics, but Legoland951 has the camera, and he's probably still working on the Turbo S - so you all will have a rare treat on the down and dirty quick way of changing your belts! Yes, we inspected all the bearings and rollers, but did forget to take a pic of mine, which I had brought.

Goodnight, thank you all who showed up and making it a success!

- Julie
Old 10-27-2003, 01:19 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

julie, if ur here, i need directions quick and a phone number to get in contact with u.
my computer is getting shipped out today and i have no ohter means of getting a hold of you for the clutch.
sincerly car
if you want my # is 760-386-112- orr cell 760-4470434
Old 10-29-2003, 11:18 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Done...
Old 11-01-2003, 07:04 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

julie, did the clutch work? i hope it does.
any way, do you know of anyone that sells the brushes for the starter? i have to do the tap thing to get it started once in a while. as far as belts are concerned, i think mine are ok just need retensioning. new set of belts are out of the budget for now.
would you be available on the 12th of nov?
i have to go to my grandma in redding ca. before i go overseas and i'll be back on the 11th.
tia carl
Old 11-01-2003, 07:55 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by smkn951
julie, did the clutch work? i hope it does.
any way, do you know of anyone that sells the brushes for the starter? i have to do the tap thing to get it started once in a while. as far as belts are concerned, i think mine are ok just need retensioning. new set of belts are out of the budget for now.
would you be available on the 12th of nov?
i have to go to my grandma in redding ca. before i go overseas and i'll be back on the 11th.
tia carl
I just bought a full brush assembly including the holder, from a fellow rennlister.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...brush+assembly

------------------------------
There is a new rennlist member "dmsog", that owns his own starter/alternator service shop.

Doug (aka "dmsog") sold me a starter brush assembly with brushes, as well as those hard-to-find rubber bushings inside the starter. (Iceshark, remember a while back I was looking for these and we exchanged posts about it?) Very fair price, and good communication. He didn't mind ordering just parts for me. He also was willing to share information and advice. He will also be getting into get into the SR39X (our BOSCH starter) rebuild business once he builds up a small inventory.

Here is his contact information and other facts that he said I could share with the group.

Doug Sogolow
Sogolow Starter Alternator Works
499 Main St
Norwich, CT 06360
860-889-4889

'86 944 Turbo V8 conversion in progress
28 years as the owner of the business
ASE Certified Auto Electrician
Zodiac sign: Leo
Bengal Cat Owner

I have been meaning to write an official post introducing him to the group for a while now, since he was so helpful to me.

Hope this may help someone!
------------------------------
Old 11-02-2003, 05:57 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Well here is a good one for ya'll..... what happened to Jonas this past Thursday evening? Oh yeah i snapped my timing belt... I have thousands of dollars of damage to the head and the motor that i now have to fix before i can sell her.... Boy i am regretting not coming to that party now.... kinda ironic don't ya think? John Anderson will be doin the work, so i know that it will be done right.... Thought i should let you all know....

Cheers,
Jonas
Old 11-02-2003, 09:37 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Jonas,

Wow, that's tough news. Well, maybe you would not have made it up to the party before the belt snapped.

What was the service history with respect to the timing belts? Do let us know when you get more information on the repair. Good luck.

Quick Reply: S. CA Timing belt Party!