Notices

mechanic recommendation in Los Angeles (for PPI)

Old 07-03-2011, 05:16 PM
henryb
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanic recommendation in Los Angeles (for PPI)

I am looking at a CPO 2006 911 C4 with 57,000 miles and would like to get it checked out. This is my first Porsche.

Can anyone recommend a good independent shop in LA to handle the PPI?

My internet search has turned up Euro Spec Motoring and 200 North Motorwerks as options. Anybody have any history with them?

Also - can anyone comment on what potential service type repairs I might be looking at on a 5 year old car? The CPO reassures me a bit, (and the dealer says he just did the 60k service in prepping the car) but am wondering what other costs might be headed my way.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:39 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If its a CPO car then I might question the wisdom of getting an inspection in the first place. Depending on how much time is left (miles I think is 100K) why put out the $200 to $300 for the inspection. Any issue should be covered by the CPO. Is the selling dealer a PCNA dealership? If yes, then I think you can fore go the inspection process.

Is it a MT or TIP? If it's a 6 speed you might just have 'someone' simply look at over revs. You can't over rev a TIP (S/W controlled). You might just inspect the undercarriage for oil leakage in the tranny-to-motor area for RMS leaks. Normal stuff like wear and tear, tire & brake pad life, general mis-use or abuse, etc are pretty straightforward.

IMHO there are plenty of used 997's in the LA area that have much lower mileage. So unless this car has everything you want in a 997 it might be prudent to continue your search.

Good luck . . . .
Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 PM
henryb
3rd Gear

Thanks for your comments.

This is my first Porsche, and I am not a car guy, so I would be more comfortable having a professional look at the "straightforward" items. Having said that, to my untrained eye everything looks good. The car also has brand new tires.

It is a TIP, so you are saying the DME should come back clean?

Yes, there are "other fish in the sea", but few CPOs. But your point is well taken, and I intend to use the mileage angle to stay firm with the price I am offering and I am ready to walk if the dealer doesn't get close to what I want to pay.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:47 PM
AP997S
Pro

If you don't mind can you share what type of 997 it is (ie. 997C, 997CS, 997C4, 997C4S, coupe or cab), the option list of car, what type of tires were installed (a good set would cost well over $1,500), color (interior/exterior), modifications (if any) etc etc. All these factors will influence the intrinsic value of a Porsche.

I suspect you've done a CarFax on this vehicle and gone to a local Porsche dealer w/ the VIN to get the service records. They won't share any ownership details but they will tell you the Porsche data base history. Get 'chummy' w/ a Porsche dealer service manager or writer and they'll be happy to share the Porsche maintenance history of the car. These are basic steps that I suspect you've already done but you'd be surprised how many emotional/non-car folks bypass these.

Since you can't over rev a TIP the DME won't show revs in the areas that are considered dangerous if it was a 6 speed. A PIWIS tester will disclose fault history, motor management parameters, over revs (ie. due to mis shifts w/ a MT), etc. A Durametric tool does many of these functions as well.

If you not a 'car guy' and this is going to be your daily driver then make sure it's a solid and reliable car (no matter the brand). If it's a w/e toy or garage queen and you a car guy you'll take fun sometimes over reliability.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:23 PM
henryb
3rd Gear

Car is a Meteor Gray 2006 C4 coupe. Black leather interior. They are asking $49,988.

They gave me a copy of the service invoice for the "rehab" done to the car (60k service, tires, etc) and it lists 4 Bridgestones for a total of $1300.

Options include:
-power seats with driver memory
-BOSE surround sound
-6 CD changer
-PASM

Doesn't appear to be any mods.

The car is at a Porsche dealer, and yes, I got the CarFax. They got it as a 5 yr lease return from someone who leased it and serviced it locally. CarFax shows service at both the dealer and local independent shop.

This will be a daily driver, so yes, it needs to be reliable.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 PM
AP997S
Pro

Since it's not an 'S' and you didn't state whether it has NAV (I assume no) the price seems just 'OK'. Mind you I'm not an expert on Porsche pricing but if the car suits you and it brings a smile to your face when you drive it I say go ahead. It's from a legitimate PCNA dealer and I assume it has sufficient time left on the CPO to reduce the risk of costly issues.

Since it has 54K miles I assume it's already had at least one brake job and maybe two. If the maintenance records (ie. oil/filter changes) show good periodic service its most likely good to go. The 997 is a fairly bullet-proof vehicle and unless the previous owner has gone out of his way to abuse the car all should be fine. 54K miles might show some bolster wear on the driver's seat (entry/ exit rubbing) so take a look at that; leather repairs are doable if it's shows excessive wear.

Remember the 991 is coming later this year so expect to see 997 prices fall since they are not a 'current' model build.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM
db
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have two of the best indie Porsche shops in the SFV:

Werks II - Burbank
http://www.werks2.com/

TRE Motorsports - North Hollywood
http://www.tremotorsports.com/

Both are highly recommended for your PPI.

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2011, 03:59 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 333 Posts

Just took my new (to me) GT3 to Werks II. Really nice people and they do great work. Recommended.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mechanic recommendation in Los Angeles (for PPI)