Notices

964 mechanic needed SoCal, need cheapie help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009 | 07:50 PM
Banana
Intermediate

Default 964 mechanic needed SoCal, need cheapie help

The wonderful people in the 964 forum group are well aware of my woe's and for excessive whining and details you can look-see. I live in Laguna Beach and I have a dead 964...

My 1990 Porsche had an electrical fire recently and I am being told it will be 20+ hours of work and the bill on it will frankly be a lot more than I can afford right now so I am looking for alternate options. The car had a few issues before this all started so I am not even certain that fully rewiring will solve all the issues this car has so I am leery of spending exorbitant amounts of money no matter what because there are no guarantees that the work will ever be fully complete. The rewiring may fix everything but it may just be the beginning, which makes me really twitchy on dropping HUGE coin. I am handy but by no means a mechanic nor versed at all in Porsches, I own some books but that clearly does not make me even a novice. I am as girly girl as it gets and bought the car for sentimental reasons not rational ones, clearly. I *will* happily help unscrewing and re-screwing parts, I know how to splice wires and crimp, I can figure out a ton and I can drive around and collect used parts all day long. That said, I have no clue where to even begin a project like this, no idea how to test what comes on line when we replace a harness and what doesn’t, no professional garage space and no idea how to troubleshoot so that we don’t have a second fire. So DIY’ing this alone is out of the question as well. I do not have an enclosed garage but I do have dedicated parking in front of my house. So what I am looking for are some options … a shove in the right direction, a mechanic who wants some paid work on the side and can offer a steep discount in exchange for enormous flexibility and/or help, someone who wants a full evil Porsche mechanic rate but is going to show up give painfully detailed instructions on what to do and then come back and test things and/or give guidance/troubleshoot … I don’t know, I am open to suggestions that make sense given my constraints. I am considering selling her for scrap to make back what I paid because she is otherwise in fabulous shape but would prefer to throw this out to Rennlist and see if someone out there needs work and can help me out at the same time. FYI I need to make some decisions in the next 24 hours or less.
Old 08-22-2009 | 04:39 PM
EUROMASTERS
7th Gear

Is the car still available?
Old 08-23-2009 | 03:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

i know this is a longshot, but i have done extensive work on multiple 944s as a paid wrench, along with some stuff on a 928, along with pulling mazda engines, ford and infiniti maintenance..

i live in riverside 9 months out of the year and would be happy to work on your car for you. i dont have experience with 911s in particular but am very knowledgeable about cars in general and its not THAT different.

i charge $25 an hour plus gas, PM me if you want to work on something

Quick Reply: 964 mechanic needed SoCal, need cheapie help