LA to Vancouver BC and back

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:29 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Default LA to Vancouver BC and back

Dear West Coast Rennlisters,

I'm about to embark on a roadtrip to Vancouver and back to Los Angeles, the first half by myself, then joined by my wife.

I've driven plenty of times up to SF (PCH, 33, 101, 5, 395) and back but would love your input on roads to drive (this is most important!), places to see and beds to crash in (aka hotels/motels that aren't your ordinary Western/Whatever chain Inn).

So, fill me with your wisdom!
Old 06-05-2018, 06:30 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Can't comment on route since I ship my car, but if you tell me what sort of cuisine and other things you're into, I can leave you some recommendations for Vancouver.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:40 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,976 Likes on 2,946 Posts

I've driven Seattle - LA probably 30x in my Porsche's

Sushi place in Roseburg Or. right off I5 exit called Ami Sushi - Crazy huge pieces of fish. Order the spicy scallops. You just have to experience it for yourself.

I5 is a boring drive between Sacramento and Redding - Driving thru Siskiyou Mountains is nice but then boredom from Medford to Vancouver.
Depending on your timeframe, I would suggest 101 to Santa Rosa - the road leading out of Santa Rosa NE in direction of I5 connects with Callistoga road then 29 to 53 which is just under Clear Lake and then 20 over to I5. Incredible tight turns on these roads just out of Santa Rosa. Just a great path for our P-Cars.

As far as hotels, I always enjoy the cheap "Travel Lodge". Nice Indian Family owns the Travel Lodge in Roseburg and I make it a point to stay there.
Lots of entertainment with the clientel and price is right since up early to start the journey again. Use the savings for great food and vodka drinks before bed

Check I5 construction thru Seattle - They have major closures going on during the weekends.

And if you plan to stay over in Seattle or close by, if i'm not using my boat when u arrive you are welcome to crash overnight on it - It's in the Pt. of Everett about 35 minutes north. Might be fun to spend night on the water. Its 31' and pretty comfy - TV doesn't have the best reception because of location but plays movies and bathrooms/showers are close by. So are restaurants very close to marina.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:59 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's going to be epic. I'll play

Get the tri tip sandwich

https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-...ing-blast.html

3 Stars
Old 06-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I've driven Seattle - LA probably 30x in my Porsche's

Sushi place in Roseburg Or. right off I5 exit called Ami Sushi - Crazy huge pieces of fish. Order the spicy scallops. You just have to experience it for yourself.

I5 is a boring drive between Sacramento and Redding - Driving thru Siskiyou Mountains is nice but then boredom from Medford to Vancouver.
Depending on your timeframe, I would suggest 101 to Santa Rosa - the road leading out of Santa Rosa NE in direction of I5 connects with Callistoga road then 29 to 53 which is just under Clear Lake and then 20 over to I5. Incredible tight turns on these roads just out of Santa Rosa. Just a great path for our P-Cars.

As far as hotels, I always enjoy the cheap "Travel Lodge". Nice Indian Family owns the Travel Lodge in Roseburg and I make it a point to stay there.
Lots of entertainment with the clientel and price is right since up early to start the journey again. Use the savings for great food and vodka drinks before bed

Check I5 construction thru Seattle - They have major closures going on during the weekends.

And if you plan to stay over in Seattle or close by, if i'm not using my boat when u arrive you are welcome to crash overnight on it - It's in the Pt. of Everett about 35 minutes north. Might be fun to spend night on the water. Its 31' and pretty comfy - TV doesn't have the best reception because of location but plays movies and bathrooms/showers are close by. So are restaurants very close to marina.

Thanks guys!

I’ve had some great days driving, about to start day 4 just North of Eureka. I’ve done maybe abt 20miles total on highways, the rest on mostly empty curvy roads. Man, is this state beautiful!

Now up the Oregonian coast, I’m hoping to see some of those great beaches I heard about beafore heading to Pirtland to pick up the wife.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:46 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

You need to back up, and take 36 over to Red Bluff.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

Oops! I see I'm a day late.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
You need to back up, and take 36 over to Red Bluff.
I did! Though it’s closed down during office hours ( had to wait for an hour till 5pm, then we could proceed over a dusty, rumbly construction site). Took 36 up to the 3, then looped back around on 299. Fantastic! Got back to the coast just after sunset.

Quick Reply: LA to Vancouver BC and back