Notices

New to Denver area, driving recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:16 PM
LPMD
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Denver area, driving recommendations?

Hi, I just moved to Denver from Houston and was looking for some driving recommendations here in CO. Some day trips nearby as well as places further away like the Million Dollar Highway. Also, when should it be okay to drive up in the mountains on summer tires?

Thanks!
2015 911 GTS
Old 04-02-2018, 07:44 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Join the Porsche Club, Rocky Mountain Region. We have weekend mountain tours and socials all summer. You will enjoy our group! Go on line, look up Porsche Club of America, Regions, Rocky Mountain. You will find all the necessary contacts.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:03 PM
LPMD
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a PCA member, I just updated my address online. Looking forward to joining the group!
Old 04-03-2018, 11:55 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Welcome to Denver! There are some great drives coming up this summer with the club, it's the 60th anniversary for the region.

The are a number of roads heading west out of the greater metro area that are nice:

74 up to Evergreen
Golden Gate Canyon Rd.

You will want to go over Trail Ridge (74) at some point, only open in the summer.

And further west, Independence Pass going into Aspen, again only open in the summer.

The roads dry out fairly quickly due to the elevation (unless north facing), the roads mentioned above (except the 2 passes) are usually clear at times even in winter and I drive up with them with summer tires, as long as the temps get up a bit.

Watch out for rocks, there is a reason's called the Rockies, follow too close and you will get rock chips. And keep an eye out for hail.

For a newer Porsche service I highly recommend Chance at Stevenson Porsche. There are also several independent shops that a very good as well.

Quick Reply: New to Denver area, driving recommendations?