Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   West US Rennlist Region (https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region-97/)
-   -   Living with a 911 in SF? (https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region/1040303-living-with-a-911-in-sf.html)

sampelligrino 06-27-2018 02:22 PM

^ I might have chosen the wrong words in terms of "having" to drive the GT3, opposed to wanting to drive the GT3 on a daily basis :cheers:

As for valet nearly every new building in the SoMa area required it, wasn't sure about Mission Bay and considered that area as well for a newer apartment development/easier to head south to the Peninsula

FourT6and2 06-27-2018 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 15106728)
^ I might have chosen the wrong words in terms of "having" to drive the GT3, opposed to wanting to drive the GT3 on a daily basis :cheers:

As for valet nearly every new building in the SoMa area required it, wasn't sure about Mission Bay and considered that area as well for a newer apartment development/easier to head south to the Peninsula

Man... valet. I would refuse. I cringe when I give the keys to the dealership for service or a detailer, let alone a valet.

sampelligrino 06-27-2018 02:47 PM

Yeah I'm the same way. Even asked both the buildings that I was looking to buy or rent in the area if there was any way I could pay extra to *not* get valet and just get my own spot, answer was flat out no.

Then as I was leaving one of the parking garages after a tour, saw a younger kid hop out of his McLaren 720S and throw the keys to the valet lol

FourT6and2 06-27-2018 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 15106802)
Yeah I'm the same way. Even asked both the buildings that I was looking to buy or rent in the area if there was any way I could pay extra to *not* get valet and just get my own spot, answer was flat out no.

Then as I was leaving one of the parking garages after a tour, saw a younger kid hop out of his McLaren 720S and throw the keys to the valet lol

Screw that. What happens when the valet curbs a wheel or scratches the bumper or damages the interior somehow. I don't understand what building management is thinking. They really want to deal with liability on someone's $200,000 - $300,000 car?

iphilips 06-27-2018 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 15106813)
Screw that. What happens when the valet curbs a wheel or scratches the bumper or damages the interior somehow. I don't understand what building management is thinking. They really want to deal with liability on someone's $200,000 - $300,000 car?

I used to live in one of the towers in SOMA, great view, crazy rent $ (SF blah) and valet. I had no issues with the valet team, they were a bunch of awesome guys that loved their job and worked super hard but, I was always nervous handing off the keys and watching the car roll off into the car elevator. I was also a nice person to them spoke to them, used their names, shared a chat and didn't just throw my keys at them and treat them like dirt - i suspect this helped keep my car safer in their care.

In an unrelated incident my Macan got touched up by a tourist bus and needed to get some body work done. I happened to end up and the body shop that serviced my building (and a bunch of the other valet based towers in the city, they were very proud they won that business). While at the shop there was a steady stream and a full shop of all manner of nice cars that had been touched up by valets, wheels, panels, bumpers, dings, scratches, etc. The manager at the body shop was seeing 10's a week coming in, great business for them! All above board and well managed but, it's proof that cars get hurt in valet.

I no longer live in a valet building and I now have a GT3. If I had lived there would I put the GT3 into the valet? Probably but, I also would ensure that the guys who were looking after my baby were also looked after, only takes another 5-10mins each time you take the car out to build a relationship with the valets, drop them a nice gift (they liked whiskey and beer) from time to time, or even better take them out in the car for a spin. Just another form of risk mitigation.

FourT6and2 06-27-2018 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by iphilips (Post 15107124)
I used to live in one of the towers in SOMA, great view, crazy rent $ (SF blah) and valet. I had no issues with the valet team, they were a bunch of awesome guys that loved their job and worked super hard but, I was always nervous handing off the keys and watching the car roll off into the car elevator. I was also a nice person to them spoke to them, used their names, shared a chat and didn't just throw my keys at them and treat them like dirt - i suspect this helped keep my car safer in their care.

In an unrelated incident my Macan got touched up by a tourist bus and needed to get some body work done. I happened to end up and the body shop that serviced my building (and a bunch of the other valet based towers in the city, they were very proud they won that business). While at the shop there was a steady stream and a full shop of all manner of nice cars that had been touched up by valets, wheels, panels, bumpers, dings, scratches, etc. The manager at the body shop was seeing 10's a week coming in, great business for them! All above board and well managed but, it's proof that cars get hurt in valet.

I no longer live in a valet building and I now have a GT3. If I had lived there would I put the GT3 into the valet? Probably but, I also would ensure that the guys who were looking after my baby were also looked after, only takes another 5-10mins each time you take the car out to build a relationship with the valets, drop them a nice gift (they liked whiskey and beer) from time to time, or even better take them out in the car for a spin. Just another form of risk mitigation.

Totally. I get 'greasing the wheel' and building a rapport with people. But having to do that plus tipping plus holiday gifts and all that just to ensure they don't damage your car... such a pain in the ass. I bet you enjoy parking the car yourself now ;)

iphilips 06-27-2018 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 15107173)
Totally. I get 'greasing the wheel' and building a rapport with people. But having to do that plus tipping plus holiday gifts and all that just to ensure they don't damage your car... such a pain in the ass. I bet you enjoy parking the car yourself now ;)

I honestly do - nothing like the sound of a cold start GT3 reverberating against the concrete in the garage. Also don't have to deal with the car elevator breaking, random Honda CRV driver blocking the exit and the lost Uber driving trying to valet park their ride :)

mrjonger 06-27-2018 05:41 PM

Oh, I just transposed my preferences on you. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other either. If I had GT3, I'd just prefer to drive the twisties and track and not subject it commuting and chores. SF is good for that because it's so small, public transit / bike lanes everywhere, twisties are readily accessible just outside the city. But I think you just like being the in the car as much as you can - LA is good for that because you need a car to get to most places.

What part of LA did you end up in?

JQ911 08-02-2018 06:01 PM

I live in a condo in SSF, I rent 2 private garages 3 miles apart for the 911 and 997. My resto mod 74 BMW 2002 is parked on the street along with my truck. I got used to waving other pcar or classic car owners using the aircooled. When I use the 997 I do it with other pcars but I get snobbed:( Having 3 manuals and an automatic my truck, going in and out of the city in daylight I take the truck or 997 if, I dont plan on staying long inside the city, evenings when everybody is out, i'd take even the 2002 for thrills. I don't want to get caught on uphill traffic in the 911 or the 2002.

RENN GTS 08-02-2018 10:26 PM

I just spent a day last weekend visiting the city with my 2018 911 and I found the car to be extremely compliant while driving around. I have the 19" wheels hand had no issues with clearance or scraping anywhere I went. Don't see why this car would be any issues living in SF.

2010panny4S 08-03-2018 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by RENN GTS (Post 15186869)
I just spent a day last weekend visiting the city with my 2018 911 and I found the car to be extremely compliant while driving around. I have the 19" wheels hand had no issues with clearance or scraping anywhere I went. Don't see why this car would be any issues living in SF.

LOL try driving there daily, having to park your car in the streets, besides the never ending supposed road work that sits for weeks, months to years without being worked on, uneven roads, monster pot holes, metal plates not seated right or sticking up, road debris.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ffic/?slide=24
http://fortune.com/2018/07/12/worst-...-driving-2018/
http://www.thedrive.com/news/22053/h...es-to-drive-in

I live only 5 mins from SF, I avoid that place like the plague and cringe when I have to drive near or through that **** hole. If driving wasn't as bad, try taking bart or walking around the streets that's another story in it's own.
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/01/63462...nd-human-feces

But if you have to live there and drive there with you P-Car, good luck to you.

michaelp 08-11-2018 02:54 AM

Lived in SF for 8 years. I don't drive much in the city. That's what Muni / Uber is for. Street parking is terrible. I live in a building with my own parking spot. When I drive it's to drive out of the city. That said, the roads in the city are actually getting better.

Jlaa 08-12-2018 02:56 AM

I have lived in SF for almost twenty years now. The key to being an enthusiast in the city is to save your shekels to get a house with a big garage. Or, if it doesn't have a big garage, remodel it and make a big garage. Yes I know real estate prices are sky-high..

Once you have your garage, only drive your vehicular treasures outside SF proper for pleasure drives. Within the city, you must have a beater car that you don't give a rat's @ss about. This is the key to finding all the best parking spots and getting anywhere quickly. Bumper Braille? Who cares, my bumpers are already screwed up. Idiotic Uber/Lyft Drivers? Don't care. Potholes? My 15" wheels laugh. Other idiotic drivers weaving in and out? Don't care - my beater Prius is 10 years old, full of dings and bumper damage, and hasn't been washed in 5 years. See if I care if you hit me. You will cry more than I..... :-)

Seriously - if you need to drive IN SF, use a beater car. All those people driving IN the city in their fancy Model X / Benzes / Range Rovers / etc .... they have yet to figure it out. :-)