Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   West US Rennlist Region (https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region-97/)
-   -   Living with a 911 in SF? (https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region/1040303-living-with-a-911-in-sf.html)

FourT6and2 05-30-2018 11:14 AM

So far so good with the GT3. Got a nice private parking garage near my place. Taken the car through the city to get up north to Point Reyes and had to bring the car to/from Freemont a few times. No issues. Nobody even gives the GT3 a second glance because it doesn't really stand out all that much to be honest. The other day I pulled up in front of a corner store where a bunch of people were eating and nobody noticed. A McLaren 570S drove by and everybody's jaw dropped lol.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cd8ee94934.jpg

2010panny4S 05-30-2018 01:13 PM

The GT3 looks sweet bud, congrats on getting that whole state transfer thing fixed so you can enjoy your car.

Take heed, SF and a lot of the major roads in the bay area are P.O.S. full of pot holes, uneven roads, temporary metal plates on the roads and freeways.

Rick-A-Shay 05-30-2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 15043690)
So far so good with the GT3. Got a nice private parking garage near my place. Taken the car through the city to get up north to Point Reyes and had to bring the car to/from Freemont a few times. No issues. Nobody even gives the GT3 a second glance because it doesn't really stand out all that much to be honest. The other day I pulled up in front of a corner store where a bunch of people were eating and nobody noticed. A McLaren 570S drove by and everybody's jaw dropped lol.

Your car is just the wrong color.......:p

FourT6and2 05-30-2018 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay (Post 15044239)
Your car is just the wrong color.......:p

So true lol

I was gonna go with Miami Blue originally, but chickened out. After seeing mine next to Miami Blue in person now, I wish I had stuck with MB. But chalk is beautiful as well. Either way, I'm just glad I got a GT3!

achtung6 06-01-2018 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 15043690)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cd8ee94934.jpg

Beautiful car! Your comment about people not noticing it but gawking at a McLaren is interesting...... I would stare at the GT3 all day and not so much at the McLaren. But then again, I've been a Porsche fan forever.

iphilips 06-22-2018 10:09 PM

Just found this thread! I live in SF (LPH aka Lower Pac Heights). I'm onto my third P Car while living in the city, Macan GTS for the gf/Tahoe/mtb'ing/futzing, 991.2 GTS (recently traded) and a new to me 991.2 GT3 (Miami Blue if you have seem my other posts). Here are things I've learned.

- I work in the south bay and don't self drive (bus). But, when I do drive I try get to 280, 1, Skyline and 9 as much as possible. Sure it's longer and takes more time but beats 101 and peak hour bumper to bumper.

- Get FAL. I didn't on the GTS and would touch the lip often enough to be annoyed. I have two spare lips that I need to sell. The GT3 has FAL and have no problems.

- Know your hills. No fun in peak hour trying to get up some of the steeper streets stoping at each intersection. This won't be an issue if you're in PDK or use the hill assist on the MT but, you do need to think about some of the hills.

- I still use Uber or the Macan for any stops around SF unless I know they have parking with room to open doors and is "safe"

- tunnels - go find them, hit PSE, use your right foot and enjoy the sound. Broadway and the GGB on/off by Chrissy Fields.

- We should all socialize more. There is a PCar in my building but the guy refuses to even give a friendly nod.

FourT6and2 06-22-2018 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by iphilips (Post 15097270)
We should all socialize more. There is a PCar in my building but the guy refuses to even give a friendly nod.

I've noticed this as well with other Porsche drivers. Very little camaraderie on the road. People in VWs wave at each other, Jeeps flash their lights at each other, bikers lower a hand. Porsche drivers... stare straight ahead and pray the other driver didn't see them lol

rockdoc 06-23-2018 02:05 AM

I'll wave if you are on my side of the GGP (Upper Sunset). After driving around the city for so many years, you get to know where to park and where to take Uber. I do drive my car to work daily as I sold the SUV. You are right about the hill but what gets me most is the pot holes and street construction. My suspension takes a beating and I have to check the alignment yearly. Just replaced the back two tires because the rear control arms wore out. The car was aligned but it didn't fix the problem of the car steering to the right. We found out that the tires were out of round and had uneven wear because the control arms were not holding the wheels straight (wheels were wobbling).
I would certainly join a little coffee and cars get together for people living in SF.
FourT6and2: I enjoyed your post in the Concours section on Pressure washer and Foam Cannon. I've tried a few other types with great success as well. We could trade notes, our you could use my driveway/garage sometime.

j5m 06-23-2018 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jnolan (Post 14782939)
Let’s hope not, but years ago I worked for someone high up on the Forbes list and one night he took his Aston Martin V8 Volante, which is not a million dollar car but very rare in addition to being a vintage Aston, up to SF. He valet parked (!!) and later that night took a car service home to Portola Valley. It was a full 2 weeks later when he asked his personal assistant where the Aston Martin was and another week before they tracked it down at the parking garage where the valets had parked it. Lesson... you just never know what rationale people will do.

Eh. At least he didn't drive it home drunk.

I live on the Peninsula work in the city. Middle of SOMA for years, recently moved to the north-east part of Mission. I've driven into work exactly twice and that was to bring my dog into the office. So much less stress to take CalTrain or a motorcycle. I don't know how you all live in the city with a nice car.

Rick-A-Shay 06-23-2018 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 15097394)
I've noticed this as well with other Porsche drivers. Very little camaraderie on the road. People in VWs wave at each other, Jeeps flash their lights at each other, bikers lower a hand. Porsche drivers... stare straight ahead and pray the other driver didn't see them lol

Recently met a fellow with a Boxster who had recently retired. Offered him a view of the "social camaraderie" with Porsche owners and all he wanted to do was just drive the car. Some owners just have the car and enjoy, without any other "connections". Yeah, I have a fellow R'lister that lives a block away and never really socialize with him even though we have similar (993) cars. Others LIVE on Rennlist. Back in the day, many would "flash their high beams" when seeing another Porsche.

FourT6and2 06-23-2018 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by rockdoc (Post 15097595)
FourT6and2: I enjoyed your post in the Concours section on Pressure washer and Foam Cannon. I've tried a few other types with great success as well. We could trade notes, our you could use my driveway/garage sometime.

Always looking for a place to wash my car haha! I washed it outside my apartment the other day, right on the street. No real problems except my next door neighbor (a market) has a honeybee colony on their roof. I did NOT realize bees pooped so much. But about 5 minutes after washing my car, it was COVERED in bee ****. Little yellow/brown goop. So won't be doing that again.

2010panny4S 06-24-2018 04:25 AM

I flash my headlights or waive when I see another PCar. or give them the "Nod with a smile"

mrjonger 06-27-2018 02:06 AM

Interesting the OP chose LA over SF. SF itself is tough, but it's only 50 sq miles and just north and south of it are some choice twisties. I lived in the South Bay of LA for years and the closest decent (albeit epic) road was Angeles Crest about an hour away - on the bike splitting lanes. The car...yuck. Ever take a sports on 110 car around downtown or the 405 between West LA and the South Bay? Just avoid if you can.

I have an office in Soma I never go to. There are a couple of secure public lots right in front of my office, I guess it's not that common. PM if you guys want to know where.

sampelligrino 06-27-2018 12:09 PM

I was fortunate enough to be able to choose SF or LA for my relocation as well and chose LA, very very happy with the choice but IMO you can't go wrong with either area. I'm not in the camp that one is better than the other, appreciate what both SF and LA have to offer. The issue I had with SF was for living *in* the city (not north in Marin and south in Peninsula) I had big reservations about owning a GT3 and if I would even use the car (figured I would walk/uber/caltrain mostly), whereas in LA I would "have" to use it since it's a car/driving dominated city. LA seems much more accommodating for cars than SF *to me*. For a weekend run agree that there are likely equally great driving roads in the Bay Area and SoCal, love driving Skyline and Page Mill Road is a recent discovery which was a blast. For LA I am still learning the lay of the land but ACH is holy, the PCH is just fun for me as crowded as it is, heard of Ortega/74, Malibu canyon roads are heavenly/numerous, and I feel like I am just scratching the surface.

Also I found that the people were friendlier/warmer in LA than SF to my surprise but maybe it was just me!

edit - another weird thing/"problem" I had with SF is when I was looking to rent in an apartment, most of the newer buildings in SoMa were not only a good $1k/mo more than the equivalent in West LA, but they required you to "valet" your car to park in your own apartment. So you exit your car/hand over the keys when you enter your garage and then the full time valet takes the car from there, and when you are ready to leave you call valet and they bring the car up for you. On the other hand, some of the older apartments I was looking at in Cow Hollow/North Beach areas had 0 parking. Didn't like either proposition, and just wanted a good ol fashioned parking spot...

FourT6and2 06-27-2018 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 15106396)
I was fortunate enough to be able to choose SF or LA for my relocation as well and chose LA, very very happy with the choice but IMO you can't go wrong with either area. I'm not in the camp that one is better than the other, appreciate what both SF and LA have to offer. The issue I had with SF was for living *in* the city (not north in Marin and south in Peninsula) I had big reservations about owning a GT3 and if I would even use the car (figured I would walk/uber/caltrain mostly), whereas in LA I would "have" to use it since it's a car/driving dominated city. LA seems much more accommodating for cars than SF *to me*. For a weekend run agree that there are likely equally great driving roads in the Bay Area and SoCal, love driving Skyline and Page Mill Road is a recent discovery which was a blast. For LA I am still learning the lay of the land but ACH is holy, the PCH is just fun for me as crowded as it is, heard of Ortega/74, Malibu canyon roads are heavenly/numerous, and I feel like I am just scratching the surface.

Also I found that the people were friendlier/warmer in LA than SF to my surprise but maybe it was just me!

edit - another weird thing/"problem" I had with SF is when I was looking to rent in an apartment, most of the newer buildings in SoMa were not only a good $1k/mo more than the equivalent in West LA, but they required you to "valet" your car to park in your own apartment. So you exit your car/hand over the keys when you enter your garage and then the full time valet takes the car from there, and when you are ready to leave you call valet and they bring the car up for you. On the other hand, some of the older apartments I was looking at in Cow Hollow/North Beach areas had 0 parking. Didn't like either proposition, and just wanted a good ol fashioned parking spot...

I wouldn't want to HAVE to drive my GT3 every day to get around. I much prefer being able to walk everywhere in a big city. If I have to drive everywhere, I might as well live in a suburb somewhere where the cost of living is lower lol. Like Atlanta. Or Austin. Or Colorado. The appeal of a big city, to me, is being able to walk around and feel like I'm actually in a city instead of a sprawling nightmare. :) The SF Bay Area is good for owning a car like a GT3 because you can get out of the city on weekends and enjoy some open roads. And it helps to make those drives more special because you aren't in the car every single day.

Parking is the rub. Plenty of private garages to rent though. My apartment has no parking, but my garage is 2 minutes down the street. Has it's own gate, assigned spot. Easy. I would not want to valet my car, so yeah that's stupid. Haven't encountered that though.