Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   West US Rennlist Region (https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region-97/)
-   -   Living with a 911 in SF? (https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region/1040303-living-with-a-911-in-sf.html)

Rick-A-Shay 02-06-2018 04:00 PM

^^^^ Or a cat that likes to find their way onto the hood of your car for a rest :mad:

jnolan 02-06-2018 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 14780715)
While all that is definitely true, I don't think a rationale person would park a GT car on the street as their main form of parking. At least I hope not.

Let’s hope not, but years ago I worked for someone high up on the Forbes list and one night he took his Aston Martin V8 Volante, which is not a million dollar car but very rare in addition to being a vintage Aston, up to SF. He valet parked (!!) and later that night took a car service home to Portola Valley. It was a full 2 weeks later when he asked his personal assistant where the Aston Martin was and another week before they tracked it down at the parking garage where the valets had parked it. Lesson... you just never know what rationale people will do.

FourT6and2 02-06-2018 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by jnolan (Post 14782939)

Let’s hope not, but years ago I worked for someone high up on the Forbes list and one night he took his Aston Martin V8 Volante, which is not a million dollar car but very rare in addition to being a vintage Aston, up to SF. He valet parked (!!) and later that night took a car service home to Portola Valley. It was a full 2 weeks later when he asked his personal assistant where the Aston Martin was and another week before they tracked it down at the parking garage where the valets had parked it. Lesson... you just never know what rationale people will do.

That's nuts haha.

Alfa40 02-07-2018 03:23 AM

I've seen a fair share of air-cooled 911s parked on the street (over night and many weeks) of Russian Hill, Presidio, Nopa, Cole Valley an Twin Peaks. 300/month can compensate for a fair share of scratches on the bumpers, but for me it would depend on the condition my car is in to begin with. A garage queen or new car needs a safe place, but a 80s or 90s, somewhat used looking and perhaps little dirty car shouldn't stand out that much and is probably fine out on the street of the aforementioned parts of town.

ThePhanatic 02-21-2018 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by geemman (Post 14686118)
I live and work in SF (live out by the ocean) and only use my car on the weekends for drives out of SF. I agree that you need a private garage as i own my own house and do not have to worry about parking on the street or even a shared garage with a lot of tenants.and cars. There has been a lot of car break ins, i must see about 2-3 shattered windows on a daily basis where I work due to number of drug users that are in the city just looking how to get their next fix. SOMA can be nice in some spots, but you are in the heart of SF and in any direction of a few blocks can take a turn. If you have a garage or tenant parking garage you should be ok. After all that's why we have insurance.

I say, get want you want, life is too short.

Another Sunset RLister?

I live in the Outer Sunset with a garage and it's no problem for me. I would not own a car without a garage. Just a huge pain.

geemman 02-21-2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ThePhanatic (Post 14818329)
Another Sunset RLister?

I live in the Outer Sunset with a garage and it's no problem for me. I would not own a car without a garage. Just a huge pain.

Hey there neighbor,

I also live in the Outer Sunset as well. I'm right off of Sunset Blvd.

We should hook up and go for a drive sometime.

Need4S 02-26-2018 03:52 PM

There has been an epidemic of car break-ins around SF, but an organized ring doing those was recently arrested. I don't know if that has or will impact things. For several months, I had to park my car outside on the street while our house in the Richmond was being remodeled, and fortunately, nothing happened. But that was 2 years ago. I still think that if you choose carefully, you can live with a Porsche in SF. It really helps if you have off-street parking at both ends of the commute if you DD.

2010panny4S 03-28-2018 03:15 PM

I would avoid SF at all costs. I've lived in the bay area for most of my life. Compared to most cities around the bay, SF and Oak have the most rampant crime, vandalism of other peoples property than neighboring neighborhoods. Not to mention the STUPID prices being asked for property there, paying on the average of 1.2-1.5 mil easy for starters yet you have a City that tells you what kind of toilet you can only put in your own home. F that.

Not to mention the TERRIBLE roads in SF good luck with your 911 low profile tires with all the uneven roads, potholes all over the place or metal plates on the road. Everyone already knows of the terrible traffic in that place. I make every possible reason not to go through that city and rather stay on my side of the Penninsula.

sampelligrino 03-28-2018 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S (Post 14902287)
I would avoid SF at all costs. I've lived in the bay area for most of my life. Compared to most cities around the bay, SF and Oak have the most rampant crime, vandalism of other peoples property than neighboring neighborhoods. Not to mention the STUPID prices being asked for property there, paying on the average of 1.2-1.5 mil easy for starters yet you have a City that tells you what kind of toilet you can only put in your own home. F that.

Not to mention the TERRIBLE roads in SF good luck with your 911 low profile tires with all the uneven roads, potholes all over the place or metal plates on the road. Everyone already knows of the terrible traffic in that place. I make every possible reason not to go through that city and rather stay on my side of the Penninsula.

There were a handful of other factors that impacted my decision, but the above did ring true for me and was part of the reason why I chose to relocate to SoCal opposed to SF in the city proper

There is no perfect location and *every* place has pros and cons, but having a GT3 coming and being fortunate enough to choose locale, I spend enough time in SF to see the homelessness issues and property crimes (smashed glass on different streets), plus the fact that SF is not a very drivable city in my opinion would mean getting in and out of SF might be challenging both in terms of traffic and road quality (potholes, construction, metal plates as stated above). The other side of the coin is that SF is a truly stunning city that I love to explore and walk around, especially by the water side. So because I have my GT3 coming, it just ruled out living there for me. If I didn't have the car/enjoy driving so much, I would have chosen SF. In LA my soul will rot in traffic at times but I love being that close to all the canyons/PCH drives.

FourT6and2 03-28-2018 03:52 PM

My GT3 arrives soooooon. So I'll be sure to let y'all know how it goes since I'm in SF. Although I'm not exactly using the car to pick up artisanal cheese and tomatoes at the Ferry Building, or parking across from Delores Park while I wait in line at Bi-Rite for some ice cream. I'm in Nob Hill. So for me it's head across to Franklin, left on Lombard, and across the Golden Gate for some weekend fun outside the city. Nobody is daily driving a Lambo or Ferrari or GT car in SF. That's silly. Carrera, though? Sure. Dime a dozen. They're so common nobody even looks twice.

sampelligrino 03-28-2018 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 14902406)
My GT3 arrives soooooon. So I'll be sure to let y'all know how it goes since I'm in SF. Although I'm not exactly using the car to pick up artisanal cheese and tomatoes at the Ferry Building, or parking across from Delores Park while I wait in line at Bi-Rite for some ice cream. I'm in Nob Hill. So for me it's head across to Franklin, left on Lombard, and across the Golden Gate for some weekend fun outside the city. Nobody is daily driving a Lambo or Ferrari or GT car in SF. That's silly. Carrera, though? Sure. Dime a dozen. They're so common nobody even looks twice.

I am sure it would have been doable personally, but just not ideal for me. I could be mistaken and you find having the GT3 there is a breeze. Also I think there is a difference between the 996/997/even occasional 991 or Macan that I see on SF streets vs. a full blown 991.2 GT3 with the wing, CL wheels/full monty in full glory lol. It would just be a stress for me personally which I want to avoid. I am sure Nob Hill/Marina District/Cow Hollow, Presidio Heights, even South of Market/Rincon Hill are safe for parking it was mainly getting in and out of the city and navigating through the city itself/using the car to run errands that was a concern.

Congrats on your car arriving soon, that is super exciting. I remember when you were debating between the GT-R and the GT3. Looking forward to your impressions and delivery pics

FourT6and2 03-28-2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 14902423)
I am sure it would have been doable personally, but just not ideal for me. I could be mistaken and you find having the GT3 there is a breeze. Also I think there is a difference between the 996/997/even occasional 991 or Macan that I see on SF streets vs. a full blown 991.2 GT3 with the wing, CL wheels/full monty in full glory lol. It would just be a stress for me personally which I want to avoid. I am sure Nob Hill/Marina District/Cow Hollow, Presidio Heights, even South of Market/Rincon Hill are safe for parking it was mainly getting in and out of the city and navigating through the city itself/using the car to run errands that was a concern.

Congrats on your car arriving soon, that is super exciting. I remember when you were debating between the GT-R and the GT3. Looking forward to your impressions and delivery pics

I hopefully won't ever need to park the GT3 on the street in SF. Garage only.

geemman 03-29-2018 02:34 PM

I too often head across the Golden Gate Bridge on weekends for a nice drive up North.

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 14902406)

2010panny4S 03-29-2018 06:02 PM

Marin is a nice drive there. I've taken my Panamera there to be serviced at S-Car-Go Racing to get my exhaust re-done due to shabby work done by some known shop in Redwood City. Don't trust just because you see a shop have Mclaren, Ferrari's or Lambos that they know how to handle Porsche. :roflmao:

achtung6 04-01-2018 12:24 AM

Come by Mill Valley and look me up. I'd be happy to sit down for some coffee with you!

Tony