Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Selling my 996 gt3 (can't believe I'm doing this)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 02:23 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Selling my 996 gt3 (can't believe I'm doing this)

Year: 2004
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: GT3
Mileage (numbers only please): 57441
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Traction Control
Color: Black
Price (no $ sign please): $71000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): West
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

I know, I know. I’m dumb, I never learn, and I’m a hypocrite. I know I’ve said it over and over again on these forums: “I’ll never sell this car…I bought it back and I won’t make that mistake again.” And I know I shouldn’t but it is what it is. Its for sale. I need to sell it. Just went under contract on the “dream house” last friday (6 car garage!) in our very small neighborhood (where I built a home for my widowed mother, so yeah, I’m stuck here). Seller wouldn’t take contingent offer so things are going to be a wee bit tight after we close on July 31st but before we can sell our current home (and another home we own). Super hard decision, but it’s what is best for our family. It is the best car I have ever owned. I’ve tried to price it somewhere between “Wow good deal” and “that guy is smoking crack.” I guess the market will tell me if I’m right. $71K as it sits or 66k with the stock seats and I’ll keep the perlon clubsports (that’s my preference anyway). If you don’t want the ccw’s, I’ll knock off another 1,500 and sell for $64.5k. If you are looking on a great deal for bone stock driver, there are likely better cars out there for you. However, if you are like me and would end up doing most of the below mods anyway, then I think this is an amazing deal, given the cost to replicate everything (seats, rollbar, RS clutch kit, coolant pipe pinning, diff upgrade, and wheels alone would set you back at least $15k, which doesn’t even take into account the 997 gt3 exhaust mods, etc…).

The Vitals:

57,441 miles. Original engine. Zero accidents, clean Carfax, only paint work is rear cup bumper (have stock). Not even a single dot of touch up paint (I always screw it up). Zero dents. Factory options: (1) Natural Brown Full leather (only 15 total North American GT3’s delivered with this interior color, and I believe only one other car is black); (2) PCCB’s; (3) factory lower center console delete; (4) GT3 aluminum door sills; (5) Porsche crest embossed in center console lid; (6) xenons; and Cruise control, ac, and all the other standard options. A note on the Natural leather option. The “natural” option really bears very little resemblance to the standard leather. The color is vat dyed instead of painted on, resulting in a deep color that does not rub or abrade off, and does not get “shiny” with use like the standard leather. It is really striking in person, and is one of my favorite aspects of the car. If I were to keep the car I would add a matching carbon AC surround, center console, and dash strips to complete the carbon look and the interior would be perfect to me. All coolant pipes pinned and epoxied. I somehow logged a type 2 overrev 30 hours ago. Didn’t realize it until I put the durametric on it this morning. 168 ignitions 30 hours ago (less than ½ second, but I want to be upfront as I know this bothers some people). I don’t know how it happened, but suspect it may have happened in December 2017 in Tucson when I drove down to inspect a 911sc I eventually purchased. I let the guy’s son drive and he shifted from 4th to 2nd, but he clutched it right away and it didn’t sound like it was anywhere near readline, but that is the only “event” I can think of. I did my track day several months later and the car performed without a single issue. Total bummer, as I know any type 2’s on a 996 bother some folks. No CEL’s or running issues however. Doesn’t burn oil, and when I did an oil change a few weeks ago there were absolutely no bits, specks, “glitter,” or gasket material or any other bits of anything that shouldn’t be there (I check the pleats in the filter at every oil change). I’ve reduced my asking price a bit as a result of this recent revelation. Of course ppi is welcome and if there are any engine concerns that cause you to pass, I’ll split the ppi cost with you. I’m totally confident there is absolutely nothing wrong with the engine (more on that below).

The mods/upgrades:

1) Euro GT3 “Clubsport” Perlon bucket seats (great shape, no tears, rips, frays, etc…). Couple of nicks/scratches in fiberglass from mounting, etc…
2) Schroth 6 point harnesses with all oem hardware, sub bars, side mounts, etc…
3) Guard Differential upgrade (installed 6/27/16 at 51,816)
4) CCW c-10 wheels with factory black shot-peened finish (only one wheel has tiny amount of curb rash…others are perfect).
5) Nitto NT01’s with 1,000 miles and three 20 min track sessions on them (beginner run group!)
6) OEM Sachs 996 GT3 RS lightweight flywheel, clutch and pulley kit with all new hardware and seals (installed at around 40k miles, kit sourced from Kevin at UMW)
7) GMG rollbar (perfect condition, great design allows seat to go all the way back on the rails). Harness collars installed as well. Factory carpet piece was not cut (black used pieced was sacrificed for that purpose)
8) ) Rear cup bumper (demontweaks brand)
9) 997 GT3 headers and Cats (black ceramic coated)
10) 997 GT3 center exit exhaust (oem)
11) 997 GT3 fabspeed cup side muffler bypass pipes (black ceramic coated)
12) 997 cup adhesive oem rear bumper heat shielding (supplemented with aftermarket adhesive heat shield material in strategic locations)
13) 997 GT3 sharkwerks exhaust tips (black). Sale includes oem 997 gt3 exhaust tips as well (black)
14) Tarret Toe Arms with locking plates (installed 1/21/15 at 46,918)
15) Tarret tie rods (installed 1/19/2015 at approx.. 46,918)
16) Tarret front Drop Links (purchased 10/21/14)
17) Cup Lip (installed in 1/2017 at 53,000)
18) 997 brake ducts
19) GT3rs alcantara shift **** and boot
20) 997 gt3 shifter with “Shift Right” ball bearing and bushing upgrade kit
21) Lightweight battery with hardwired tender and custom hold down bracket
22) Carbon fiber front strut brace
22) Carbon fiber door panel pulls and pocket lids
23) hardwired connection for Valentine 1 (V1unit not included)
24) Oem rear wing blade shims (for more aggressive rake and to balance out cup splitter)
25) All coolant lines pinned and epoxied
26) Lloyd’s custom “gt3 script” black mats
27) clear side markers
28) Plasti-dipped “gt3” script center caps with script painted yellow (can be restored to stock silver/black by simply removing the plasti-dip, as the script was painted on top of the plasti dip)
29) BMC air filter
30) Durametric cable and software keyed to the car included (no more available VIN’s but you can use it on this car)
31) non-smoker tray with little rubber mat

The Recent Maintenance:

1) Last oil and Filter Change on 6/10/18 (Mobil 1 0W-40) @ approx. 57,400
2) Last brake fluid change: Castrol SRF at 51,816
3) Corner balance and alignment at 50,176
4) Engine out maintenance and coolant pipe pinning at approx. 40,000 miles in 4/2014 (many new seals, new coolant, etc…)
5) Gear oil change at approximately 40k miles (Mobile 1 Delvac)

The History:

I bought it from a local cardiologist in September 2013. It had 38k miles. He owned it for 5 years and never tracked it once. Two prior owners before that. The original owner purchased it at Porsche North Scottsdale (117,000 MSRP as optioned), and traded it back to the dealership with 14k miles and it was then sold CPO to the second owner, who eventually sold it to the Cardiologist. The Cardiologist told me that to his knowledge the car had never been tracked before him, but he obviously could not guarantee that. At this point the car was literally 100% bone stock on original clutch, pads, etc., with no track-oriented mods at all, so I tend to believe it.

After I purchased it in September 2013 I bought the Lloyd’s mats, the 997 shifter, and did a few other minor mods like clear side markers. I did a diy maintenance weekend and did the engine oil, plugs, and transmission oil myself. Made a major mistake during the gear oil change and accidentally removed the shift cable linkage assembly bolt thinking it was the fill plug. So I had to have it flat-bedded to my indie (Boreham Motorsports) and that started the “while you are in there” tranny drop, engine drop, gt3 rs lightweight flywheel/clutch upgrade, coolant pipe pinning, and over a grand worth of other preventative maintenance stuff. When the car came back I was in awe of how great if felt. It was just perfect. The lwfw made a humongous difference. During this time I also added some fabspeed headers and GMG mufflers. I did exactly one track day in early 2014 (Porsche club event, beginner run group…it was my second track day ever, as I had done one in my old 996 tt years earlier. I took it very, very easy, no “offs” and was getting dusted by boxsters as a result LOL!).

In May 2014 I stumbled upon a red 997 gt3 at a local dealer and was smitten immediately. I traded in the gt3 for it, and within a couple months felt like I had made a mistake. I greatly preferred to aesthetics of the 997, but really missed the drive and feel of the 996. It just felt more lively, nimble, and light, and it actually felt quicker too. Probably because the 997 was mostly stock and quite a bit heavier. For that reason I never really fell in love with the 997 and eventually sold it after locating a 6-speed gated Lamborghini Gallardo. Within a few months I REALLY (REALLY) missed having a gt3, and convinced my wife to let me try to find another 996. I looked for months to find the perfect “driver” specimen that had some of the nice mods I valued but was somewhere in between track car stripper and 5,000 mile garage queen. I had kept tabs on my car as the guy who ended up with it in Los Angeles was on rennlist, and we had kept in touch over the years. I reached out to him to see if he would sell it back, as I knew it was solid and I really didn’t want to shell out again for the coolant pipe and rs lwfw/clutch kit, but he was not too eager as he had just added the rollbar, harnesses, leather euro gt3 seats, the guard diff upgrade, and a bunch of other stuff and wanted to start tracking it more. Thankfully, he was very OCD about maintenance, did oil analysis at every oil change, changed the brake fluid and oil after every track day, etc…. I believe he tracked it three times. I contacted him every couple weeks to see if he would sell it back. Eventually, after realizing that my old car was what I wanted, we struck a deal and bought it back for $74k in December 2016, and was happy to do so given my knowledge of the car, its history, and the level of care it had received since I traded it in.

Over the next year and a half I sold the leather euro seats for 3k after locating the Perlon Clubsport versions that are in the car now, added the lightweight battery, and added the 997 exhaust bits, cup bumper, and the CCW wheels. I did one track day earlier this year. Three 20 minute sessions. Car ran flawlessly and was very, very quick. With the light seats, light wheels, lw flywheel, gutted front trunk (I have everything in my garage), lw battery, etc…, the car is very, very light and a total kick to drive. I have run it right next to my buddy’s 997.2 gt3 and it is literally within a hair’s breadth of it in terms of performance.

The Condition:

Mechanical condition: I am not aware of a single, solitary, mechanical issue with the car. In the entire time I owned it, it has never run hot, never had a check engine light, and never dripped a single drop of any kind of fluid, ever. It only gave me one hiccup once (in the form of some sputtering on heavy throttle application) and that turned out to be a ruptured in-tank fuel line (common failure point) in 2014 which cost very little to replace. The car pulls hard, AC blows cold, and is just in perfect mechanical condition. I would drive the car across the US tomorrow without an instant of hesitation. That is the truth. The car is perfectly solid.

Cosmetic Condition: So, as we all know, black Porsches are tough. The paint is shiny and great, but every minute rock chip shows up. It has had a clear bra on the front bumper, half hood, mirrors, and half of the front fenders since new, but you can see some small chips here and there in spots where the protection does not extend all the way to the edges. There are no dents whatsoever, and no scratches that go past the clear (a few tiny scratches here and there, but nothing bad). There is some “sand blasting” on the bottom of the wheel wells, but its very low and could be easily touched up. I have never had a paint correction done, but I’m very careful to avoid swirls. There are a few flaws in the finish of the rear cup bumper. The finish is actually really, really glassy and a perfect match, but there are two spots where I think the shop got a bit ambitious with the polisher and removed some of the clear (resulting in a duller appearance in those two spots). I got a “bro deal” from a buddy to do the paint and fitting, so I never complained about it. If I had paid full retail I would have had them fix it though. Also, there is a big chip in the windshield. However, I have zero deductible glass replacement so that will be repaired soon. The interior is about as close to perfect as you can get. Only real flaws are a slight blemish on the dash where it meets the windshield (you can only see it if you are standing outside the car) and some scuffs on the driver’s side plastic threshold piece (not bad, but present). Both stock and bucket seats are nearly flawless (stock seats have so little bolster wear its almost unbelievable). The pictures of the perlon seats seem to show some fading on the driver side bolster that is not visible in “real life.” I will take more pics without a flash as I believe this is just the camera exposing a slightly different shade in that area. They honestly look really great in person, but as indicated above I would be happy to keep them if the buyer wants the car for 69k.

The Extras:

I have every single stock part with two exceptions: I can’t find the orange side markers, and I mangled the oem rear bumper heat shield by cutting it up to accommodate the center exist exhaust. I eventually ditched the piece in favor of the cup adhesive heat shield stuff. However, this is a cheap part as they are all over ebay (same as the regular Carrera part). Here is what you get:

1) Great condition oem wheels (tires are worn). Currently plasti-dipped
2) Great condition oem natural brown seats (sitting in daughter’s closet, not a hot garage)
3) Every single removed interior part: door pulls, shift ****, shifter, oem ecu carpet cover piece, front and rear floor mats, etc.
4) 100% complete oem exhaust system (with clamps, hangers, headers, mufflers, tips, cats, etc…
5) Extra fabspeed 996 gt3 headers (repaired but 100% functional)
6) oem rear bumper
7) all front trunk stuff
8) both keys, all manuals
9) washer bottle for windshield wiper system (currently removed)
10)stock flywheel and clutch (yes, I kept it!)
11) extra front rotors (steel) and pagid track pads (I used these for my track day in 2014 then switched back to the pccb’s before I traded it in)
12) extra carbon fiber shifter (has some cracks that are in the resin surface)

The issues:

I'm a commercial litigation attorney and therefore take my disclosure obligations very seriously! I also have a super guilty conscience and I don't want any prospective buyers to be surprised by anything, so here it goes with the flaws:

1) sun visor mirrors covers lost some sort of internal “spring” that holds them shut and open. I just removed the covers, so the little mirrors are now exposed when you flip down the visor.
2) some small front end and lower wheel well rock chips
3) some curb rash on one oem wheel and one ccw wheel (very minor)
4) Front pads are getting close to needing replacement (there is some squeaking from front)

Not listed anywhere else yet. I would love to sell to a rennlister so I can keep tabs on the car, and would love to avoid the eventual deluge of craigslist/autotrader/ebay tirekickers, lowballers, etc…. I would be happy to accommodate a ppi, pick you up at the airport, do a facetime video walk around/cold start, whatever you like. Thanks in advance for the interest. As indicated above, I’d like to sell sooner rather than later, but I’m not desperate and if my house sells right away, I will most likely pull this listing, but that is a ways off so I think selling the gt3 is the right move now so I’m not a total stress bucket for the next two months. Thanks, Scott.
Attached Images       
Old 06-27-2018, 02:29 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Interior pics next:

Old 06-27-2018, 02:33 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

more pics. The last two show the basically stock configuration (pre bar, seats, etc...).

Old 06-27-2018, 02:47 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Subscribed. GLWS. I can speak to this car, it’s everything depicted above and more. Amazing car, I am very tempted to buy and still am. If any one has questions or once me to check it out I can.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

whoa, killer ad, and best deal i've seen in a long time. GLWS
Old 06-27-2018, 04:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Great Car
Great Seller

Sorry to see you go................ again.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:13 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Great car!
I'd buy it, but then I'd need a house with a bigger garage!
Maybe I could keep it in your new one? LOL

Like I tell my wife - I'd like a bigger garage, but I'd have to sell a car to make it happen!
Old 06-27-2018, 05:20 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Great car!
I'd buy it, but then I'd need a house with a bigger garage!
Maybe I could keep it in your new one? LOL

Like I tell my wife - I'd like a bigger garage, but I'd have to sell a car to make it happen!
ha! Thanks Bill, and thanks to everyone for the kind words. The house thing really snuck up on us. Obligatory futur garage shot below! I will be down to six vehicles with one sold so this is barely adequate!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Nice! Looks like 6 garages with a small house in the middle.
Got the priorities right!
Old 06-27-2018, 08:59 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

GLWS sale. Watched you go in and out of the GT3 world. You'll be back.

Also, I wasn't so fond of the 996 interiors, that is until I laid eyes on this one. What a great looking interior and exterior for that matter.

Great Ad!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:38 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
GLWS sale. Watched you go in and out of the GT3 world. You'll be back.

Also, I wasn't so fond of the 996 interiors, that is until I laid eyes on this one. What a great looking interior and exterior for that matter.

Great Ad!
the natural brown leather looks even better in person. This car is flawless and a joy to drive. Sunday driver, once a week to work and track days in between! Ready to enjoy for many more years and miles!
Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Must look away, too many cars myself. But a nice example for a street/track edition.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Me thinks you need to close the ad' and probably and sell a kidney instead..lol..
Old 06-28-2018, 01:37 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Sell something else. Or put a 4 year loan on the GT3 or something else you own.

You may not get it back again.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:43 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

guys, thanks so much for the kind words. And special thanks to all those who reached out to express an interest. Car was inspected this morning and is sold. New owner is great guy and local, and has given me a right of first refusal if he ever sells it lol! I’m sorry to all those who have sent pms that I have not yet responded to (it’s been a crazy 24 hours). Thanks again. Scott

Quick Reply: Selling my 996 gt3 (can't believe I'm doing this)