Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Sold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS: 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 04:57 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Year: 1989
Make: Porsche
Model: 944
Cont. Porsche Models: 944 Turbo S
Mileage (numbers only please): 56301
Color: Silver
VIN: WP0AA2957KN151063
Price (no $ sign please): $19980
Private or Dealer Listing: Dealer Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM Cassette

Originally Posted by Signalmtb
What's really amazing is that we're not talking about the real turbo S silberosa they have in inventory for $23k. Can't believe someone hasn't snatched that up.
Somebody probably has; I have a deposit on the car at the moment.

The plaid interior is a 'to each his own' thing. I happen to really like it; black interiors bore me. But some people hate it. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:00 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

Negheads might sell for ya,
Old 10-26-2015, 09:36 PM
FlowFree
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ried
That interior color is a deal breaker for many people. Plaid burgundy?
It would be a deal breaker for me.
Try as I might, I just cannot imagine any time in the 80s when that Silberrosa interior scheme would have been anything less than revolting.
(Or maybe I've succeeded in repressing such memories )

Besides, they made 339 of those cars in that questionable color combination. The real gems are the '88 Turbo S cars in desirable color combinations. They are few and far between, though.
Agree 100%.
I actually specifically want a 1989 951. I know the '88 S' are supposed to be more desirable, but I'm okay without the extra 'S' fanfare.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:39 PM
FlowFree
6th Gear

True I do wish my silberosa was black over tan.
The Black/Linen is my hands down favorite. Classy and timeless.
(provided it's been well-cared for)
As evidenced by how often it is still found on vehicles today.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:03 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FS: 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo

Originally Posted by FlowFree
It would be a deal breaker for me.
Try as I might, I just cannot imagine any time in the 80s when that Silberrosa interior scheme would have been anything less than revolting.
(Or maybe I've succeeded in repressing such memories )Agree 100%.
I actually specifically want a 1989 951. I know the '88 S' are supposed to be more desirable, but I'm okay without the extra 'S' fanfare.
88s owners trotting this old horse out again the real 88s was the silberosa with plaid. Porsche pre-sold these and promised the buyers exclusivity - there was no plan to sell anything more than the silver rose (you can find the porsche literature on line, including the sales literature) and in quantities less than 1000. Promise was broken in no time and then they opened up the options for the rest of 88 and carried it through 89 as the standard model.

The reason there is no S in 1989 is because in 1988 they still had the non-S - ie k26/6 and etc. In 1989 the standard 951 was the 88S. No other choice.

Unfortunately, 88S owners lost the one-year-only, less than 1000 exclusivity promised them and i'd be sore too, even after 27 years. They didn't even get an "S" on the rear badging, or even an "HW" for headlamp wipers. Can you imagine a 2015 Carrera S and 2016 Carrera being separated by headlamp washers? What sort of premium would you put on the 2015 a couple decades later when you could get the same car, one year newer, with slightly dirtier headlamps?

And about those headlamp washers... any surprise they became an option rather than standard in 1989? I suspect it had something to do with the fact that 951 headlamps retracted 70pct of the time and don't get very dirty tucked away like a sleeping bird's beak in its own feathers

That said, the rarest car is the original silberosa with plaid - they didn't make more of these and they are very unique in this regard.

//88s owners I am just yanking your chain and having some fun. I love the 88S (and my 89, even without the shiny headlamps!)

Last edited by raleighBahn; 10-27-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
That said, the rarest car is the original silberosa with plaid - they didn't make more of these and they are very unique in this regard.
Pffft. They made 339 of those monstrosities, and that's just for North America!

I'm taking a more practical stance. After the initial run of silver rose, Porsche made the '88 951S in other colors because that's what people wanted. Plenty of folks probably said "Lovely car, but burgundy plaid? Are you serious?"
Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pffft. They made 339 of those monstrosities, and that's just for North America!

I'm taking a more practical stance. After the initial run of silver rose, Porsche made the '88 951S in other colors because that's what people wanted. Plenty of folks probably said "Lovely car, but burgundy plaid? Are you serious?"
Yes it was most hideous then.... but curiously cool now
Old 10-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Signalmtb
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whereas I'm sure the OP welcomes the bumps, we should take this highjacked convo to the forum
Old 10-28-2015, 10:40 PM
FlowFree
6th Gear

whereas I'm sure the OP welcomes the bumps, we should take this highjacked convo to the forum
Technically this is a dead thread, for a listing that expired a long time ago at the point of the original sale, and - fun fact - it was not the OP who actually revived it... all of which I thoughtfully considered before posting.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:39 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the color combination- 80s quirky.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:46 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price is bang on imho. Don't know why people want to fight over it.. There are plenty of garage queen, super low mileage S2s going for that much or more anyways & they don't have the general mass fanfare of the Turbos. If I had the space & $$$$ on hand at the moment I'd have one of these to go with my S2. Fantastic cars & worth every penny.

Quick Reply: FS: 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo