Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

For sale militia? Anyone else with me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 123 Posts

Great idea. I spent some time performing Due Diligence on about a half dozen cars that appeared in the "usual suspects". Of those I learned that a couple had branded titles, one was washed (which I thought was very hard in this day and age).

One seller with a totaled car told me to mind my own business and gloated when he sold it.

There was one happy experience after I pointed out to a seller that he had a mileage discrepancy. This was AFTER receiving getting a clean report BEFORE he bought the car! CarFax had it all wrong and he made them fix it and they complied. That was a happy ending and I received a nice thank you note.

My number one requirement would be a SERIAL NUMBER. NO serial number, NO AD. The 17 digit serials are the easiest to track but you'd be surprised what pops up with older cars due to the market and multiple re-sales in recent history.

Happy to help. "Free time and an inquisitive mind."
Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot
My number one requirement would be a SERIAL NUMBER. NO serial number, NO AD. The 17 digit serials are the easiest to track but you'd be surprised what pops up with older cars due to the market and multiple re-sales in recent history.
Agree
Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Racer X - that thread is from 2009
Old 06-13-2014, 11:05 AM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11

How can we attempt to do this you ask? Minimum post counts before listing a vehicle for sale, minimum post counts before replying to an ad. Ads that clearly state a vehicle as sold and old ads heavily moderated.
The only issue on minimum post counts is that it will restrict (to some extent) the number of cars listed here. Some people will just get frustrated with not being able to post and list it somewhere else. That decreases the number of cars offered on the site and hurts rennlist.

Minimum post counts have an unintended effect. I've seen on other forums where they implemented minimum post counts and you have lots of people with 1 word answers that don't add to the thread just to get their post count up. That clutters the rest of the site and makes it less usable.

Why enact a minimum post count when a lot of new members might not have as much to say early on? I have a wealth of information on muscle cars but I'm just getting into porsches so often I don't have any meaningful posts to add to the conversation. You don't want newbies posting questions that are easily searchable just to get their post count up (also something I've witnessed on other forums).

Just some thoughts...
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

In the social world, a way to separate the chaff from the rye is to allow members to vote up or down on a posting. Voting could be for paid members only. The forum engine would need enhancements to allow this, so probably not likely.

JD is a stand up member and I would defer to his approach too.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:19 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine as well!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Ryan M Hartman
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 29 Posts

You've got my vote! Now do work, son!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:33 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

File your complaints with Steve...
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have my vote. I spend most of my waking hours sitting in front of a computing platform. So I would be willing to assist.

Unfortunately forums suck lemons for ads and the like. The search and other controls are crap as are the picture management aspects of things. In short the software we are using hasn't improved in over a decade and it shows.

Anyway I digress, unless we're going to establish a real vehicle and parts selling portal I would like to applaud and add some suggestions:

1) manage this like a professional service, pretend it had a P&L attached to it. That will shut down the bs politics and what if's that plague this site

2) set down some basic but hard set rules :

a) VIN, NO VIN THEN NO AD. If a VIN isn't available then (yes I know what you are thinking) make it easy for the person to contact us to establish is legit status

b) aN 8 picture minimum; F, R, LH, RH, TOP, INSTRUMENTS, INTERIOR F, INTERIOR R, and strongly encourage a shot of the OPTIONS plate

c) TRUE MILEAGE (XXX, XXX)

d) TITLED (YES/NO)

e) MODIFIED FROM STOCK IN ANY WAY (YES/NO) - provide a list of mods no free text)

f) RUNNING (YES/NO)

g) limit description text to a reasonable amount

3) moderators should also shutdown unnecessary chatter from all of us. We tend to drive things way off topic. This is a for sale ad, not a place to display one's prowess.

4) Questions answered by the seller MUST be added to the original ad and the question stub reply deleted OR THE MODERATOR WILL DELETE THE AD. There is no reason an ad should have 3 or more pages of replies to it

5) establish some principals around what is bad behavior. Just because someone "flips" cars or parts doesn't make them Dr. Nefario. I think we all enjoy making a barn or flea market find that meets is 10x even 100x ROI. It doesn't happen as often as people would think. And let's face it I have yet to meet anyone here that is giving their parts or cars away.

Anyway that is my $0.02 after turning wrenches for 45,selling on ebay for near 20 years and being an avid auction enthusiast and software geek for 35 years. Yeah in case you hadn't figured it out I'm an old guy :-P

Oh look! I've broken my own rules about useless drivel. Somebody delete this post! :-D

Fronkensteen

PS. Did I mention that I am willing to help?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

JD you have my vote! Enough said, how do we as a group make this happen?
Old 06-13-2014, 03:04 PM
dalves11
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Mostly posting to get my post count up. I guess this is what we've come to.

I've been on here almost everyday for the last 9 years and have owned a few Porsches. But I'm shy
Old 06-13-2014, 03:15 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by HallEYA
I hope I don't regret wading into this debate (in a first post no less) but I think a few (many?) members frustration with the Vehicles for Sale section doesn't automatically necessitate wholesale changes and the implementation of minimum quotas (set by whom?) before participating.

I joined RL as a paying member last month. The catalyst was I started actively looking to purchase my first Porsche after years of want. I quickly determined that there was a wealth of information here (as well as a Classifieds area with generally well-sorted p-cars) and I didn't want to free-roll on the backs of others. From a $$$ contribution standpoint, I am equal to OP and others. From an information/usefulness standpoint to the rest of RL I bring exactly zero to the table currently, but the intent is certainly to change that over time.

In the interim, I've PM'd with several members (notably Ed in FL) about potential purchases, and have found those experiences extremely helpful and thoughtful as I try to navigate from newbie looker to newbie owner. The passion of many RLers is impossible to miss: it is also a potential barrier for growth should the community become more insular or restrictive in an attempt to slightly mitigate the frustrations of the veterans of the board.

I'd also end by noting that compared to many other forums (Jeep, BMW, Poker, Ski, Surfing, etc), the signal to noise ratio at RL is the highest I've experienced, present frustrations with Vehicles for Sale included.
Welcome to Rennlist.

OP has my vote, I don't even bother looking in here because it's such a mess.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:20 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Can we ban the "GLWS" only posts?
Old 06-13-2014, 03:47 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree the glws gets repetitive and old but sometimes the car is very nice and a word from standing member can add validity and help seller. Selling a car here in my opinion is a little more work as the buyers are usually very well informed and ask the tough questions.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 741 Posts

Have my vote.

I agree on the GLWS, though guilty of posting those sometimes. I cruise the classifieds out of interest as I'm not looking to purchase another one at the moment.

I think the posts of I hate that colour, those aren't good options, nobody will pay for that, price is too high, price is too low, etc aren't needed. Keep the classifieds clean for sellers and buyers. Maybe if a discussion is to be had around the ad or car to get community feedback, take it over to the respective 964, 997 etc forum and point back to the ad as reference.

Quick Reply: For sale militia? Anyone else with me?