Notices

My 32' ATC diary

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:02 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts
Default My 32' ATC diary

I recently sold my 40' 5th wheel to "downsize" to a gooseneck. My previous trailer weighed in at 16500 when it was fully loaded!

Name:  hOepAXp.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  850.7 KB

The replacement is a 32' ATC gooseneck. I'm not sure if I'm more excited about freeing up my truck bed or the trailer

I went back and forth between TPC, Haulmark, Featherlite and ATC. Finally ended up with the ATC. It's set up with a 50 amp service, 20 gal air compressor, plumbed for air, 120/240 throughout, and lots of lights and etrack.

Name:  D9Iz9o2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:  2YIiNYn.jpg
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  C7fi2OZ.jpg
Size:  300.7 KB

Spent the weekend moving stuff out of storage and back into the trailer. I picked the worst weekend to do it.
Name:  kOoDNDd.jpg
Size:  541.5 KB

Ran into a bit of a clearance issue with my car. Looks like I'll need to use ramps to get in. I have a set of Race Ramps from my previous trailer that I can reuse, but I think I'll end up building some rear door bumpers and ramps.
Name:  yuE0I7A.jpg
Size:  98.6 KB

All set!
Name:  pniSTkq.jpg
Size:  458.9 KB
Old 07-08-2017, 03:58 PM
ngng
Drifting

Had some issues with my BW turnover ball. Looks like the latch pin was not fully seated at some point and got bent up enough that it wouldn't fully engage. Called BW and asked if they had a replacement latch pin and apparently it's not replaceable. They suggested either buying a new hitch or bending the pin back. I choose the later.

The plan was to drill a slightly larger than 5/8" hole through a rod, then slip that rod over the latch pin.
Name:  TmaPUJe.jpg
Size:  126.6 KB

We found a big *** pipe to slip over the rod to use as leverage. Problem solved.
Name:  me36fUo.jpg
Size:  72.7 KB
Old 07-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Great thread-- subscribed. I'd like to hear about tow speeds and MPG too.

I like that etrack on the walls. Any suggestions where to buy etrack rings?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:13 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Manda Racing
.... Any suggestions where to buy etrack rings?
Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Trailer places, etc, etc, etc
Old 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manda Racing
Great thread-- subscribed. I'd like to hear about tow speeds and MPG too.

I like that etrack on the walls. Any suggestions where to buy etrack rings?
I got 10-11 towing the old rig at 55mph. Anything is better than that I'll update this thread with my MPG as well.

These are the rings I am using:
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by ExMB
Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Trailer places, etc, etc, etc
Just make sure to buy a reputable brand
Old 07-08-2017, 04:22 PM
ngng
Drifting

Has anybody had experience with:
http://www.airtab.com/

They claim ~1MPG in savings.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
Has anybody had experience with:
http://www.airtab.com/

They claim ~1MPG in savings.
Don't waste your money...

{We own more than 200 tractors (Freightliners and Kenworths), not-for-hire, hauling products for our business; so as you can imagine operating costs are extremely important for us. Right after aquisition, fuel is the most important.}

Your mpg is not good, so I am guessing your F-series is gas engine?

What we tell the drivers about FE: Run at around 55-65mph, tire inflation is very important (more the better - as long as you are below the limit), don't accelerate hard, coast to red lights (don't **** off the cars behind you) on down hills run a little faster to get momentum up the hill, use cruise dontrol as much as possible for smooth fueling, don't change lanes if you don't have to, brake smooth, platooning is good (be safe), ...,
Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

I got 10-11 towing the old rig at 55mph. Anything is better than that I'll update this thread with my MPG as well.

These are the rings I am using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055DNYWI
Just make sure to buy a reputable brand
$5.29 at HF before 20% coupon. Its metal that will never be stressed to its rating.

Northern Tool right now also has a 20% off sale going on its e-track and e-track accessories.

Lots of choices if you like amazon. Lots of choices if you like amazon.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz

{We own more than 200 tractors (Freightliners and Kenworths), not-for-hire, hauling products for our business; so as you can imagine operating costs are extremely important for us. Right after aquisition, fuel is the most important.}

What we tell the drivers about FE: Run at around 55-65mph, tire inflation is very important (more the better - as long as you are below the limit), don't accelerate hard, coast to red lights (don't **** off the cars behind you) on down hills run a little faster to get momentum up the hill, use cruise dontrol as much as possible for smooth fueling, don't change lanes if you don't have to, brake smooth, platooning is good (be safe), ...,
LOL u woudl have fired me on my first trip
Old 07-08-2017, 09:21 PM
ngng
Drifting

My truck is the 6.7l diesel, I had thought the MPG was pretty good! Thanks for the input, they seemed kinda gimmicky, but figured I'd ask.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^The 6.7L powerstroke with the 6 speed should get better mileage than that; unless if you are running really heavy, or fast, 4Wd with automatic front hubs, or you have 4.30'sh axle ratio. If you really want to get better fuel next time switch to 2WD and get a custom 3.xx rear axle ratio. With the new 6 speed tranny has a very deep first gear which allows for good acceleration off the line.

I think that you can get another 2-3 mpg better if you try. But I am guessing it does not matter.
GL
Old 07-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL u woudl have fired me on my first trip
I doubt it...You would probably be working Expedited Freight. Those guys run fast and 1000 miles/day and upto 300,000 miles year. (Not our business! )
Old 07-09-2017, 12:31 AM
ngng
Drifting

^The 6.7L powerstroke with the 6 speed should get better mileage than that; unless if you are running really heavy, or fast, 4Wd with automatic front hubs, or you have 4.30'sh axle ratio. If you really want to get better fuel next time switch to 2WD and get a custom 3.xx rear axle ratio. With the new 6 speed tranny has a very deep first gear which allows for good acceleration off the line.

I think that you can get another 2-3 mpg better if you try. But I am guessing it does not matter.
GL
lol that sounds like a lot of work. at that point I should just get a semi with a single axle

truck has a few mods, so that might be why the mpg isn't great ('14 turbo and tune). it has a 3.73 I believe. I do need the 4wd for snow when it's too deep for the audi

Name:  kScmtZj.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  822.4 KB
Old 07-09-2017, 01:17 PM
ngng
Drifting

Spent yesterday researching some electrical components. With my previous RV I had to manually switch between shore, genny, and inverter. It wasn't much work, but it was annoying. I don't want to do that with this trailer. The trailer is already set up to switch between shore and genny power, my goal is to seamlessly add a solar array and inverter to the existing system so I don't have to run the genny all the time.

Here's the route I think I'm going to go:
Name:  AjxAC1P.png
Views: 13
Size:  178.2 KB

A few notes:
- I opted for a PWM charge controller because I the trailer will see maybe three days of continuous discharge. I don't really need the efficiency of a MPPT system during winter, and hell, CA winters aren't really a thing

- I choose 12v over 6v this time around. In my RV I ran 6x 6v flooded batteries with a capacity of almost 700ah. One battery failed, which meant two batteries were useless. I also didn't deeply discharge those batteries. I like the idea of being able to scale my battery bank, if necessary, by adding a single 12v battery.

- Opted for sealed AGM batteries this time around. Previously bought the cheaper flooded batteries and stuck a battery watering kit. I even set up a 5g distilled water tank to auto fill them. It was still a pain.

Quick Reply: My 32' ATC diary