Notices

What is the countertop on a 2010 Haulmark Edge made of?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:57 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What is the countertop on a 2010 Haulmark Edge made of?

I was assuming aluminum but a magnet clings to it, so apparently it's not.
I have a query in to HaulMark but they haven't responded.
Does anyone know? I'd like to buff it out but would like to know what I am dealing with first.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2016, 11:01 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be stainless -- depending on the type used some are magnetic and some aren't. I wouldn't think they would have used anything like galvalume on a countertop.

Got a photo?

- Matt
Old 08-26-2016, 01:52 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Rick - I've emailed several questions to Hallmark. never got a response back. best of luck.

Matt = Any suggestions as to what I can use to seal up the fastener-less siding on my edge pro? just seems like it would be good to keep this water tight. thinking silicone, but open to suggestion.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:54 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Rick - I've got an Edge Pro and I'm shocked that the bottom is essentially exposed plywood. is yours the same?

Matt - should we get this undercoated?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:06 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Still no response from HaulMark. Nice first impression.
Underside of trailer floor is plywood, not painted but unsure whether sealed. I too wonder whether should be sealed. That would be fun.
Haven't been able to post a pic but will try again.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:15 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Rick - I needed a part. emailed, called numerous times. took me 3 days to get someone on the phone and once I did, it was a horrible impression. the guy basically said that he had no way of knowing what parts were on my trailer because the factories all did what they wanted. told me he could direct me to pictures of parts so I could select the one that looked like my part. Ive pretty much given up on getting any info from them. If you want to get info on counter, I'd call the parts number often till the guy picks up. he may not have an answer, but I would not expect an email response.

I had the impression that many people were very happy with their Hallmarks, so I'm holding on to that as my comforting thought for the long run. I like the trailer very much, but it's only 2 years old, so I'm hoping it ages well.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:35 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Matt
Thanks for stepping in.
Here's a pic.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2016, 07:39 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Rick - on a whim I took a magnet out to my trailer (2014 hallmark edge pro). turns out my counter is not ferrous. the only thing in there the magnet would stick to is the cover plate for the outlet. also, I looked under the counter and it appears to be the same plywood the deck is made of, with a sheet of Aluminum on top? I would have thought ours would be the same, but I guess not.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Former Vendor

Sorry for the delay in responding, guys -- took a long weekend out of the office.

As far as sealing the sides, the 3M tape they use should take care of that. VHB is pretty hardy stuff, shouldn't let much in unless the tape loses its bond. If you felt like spending the time to do it, I'm sure a thin silicone sealant wouldn't hurt to keep moisture away from the adhesive, however.

As far as undercoating the trailer goes, you can (and should) absolutely have it done, just make sure the prep is done properly and all existing rust removed. There was an issue years ago with Sundowner horse trailers where a coating was applied to the frame that didn't bond properly -- they rusted from the inside out with no visible signs due to the coating sealing moisture and corrosion in with the steel. Bad news, lots of frames were replaced under warranty.

Hope this helps.

- Matt
Old 08-30-2016, 11:19 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cre8fun
Rick - on a whim I took a magnet out to my trailer (2014 hallmark edge pro). turns out my counter is not ferrous. the only thing in there the magnet would stick to is the cover plate for the outlet. also, I looked under the counter and it appears to be the same plywood the deck is made of, with a sheet of Aluminum on top? I would have thought ours would be the same, but I guess not.

That's pretty standard fare for trailer cabinets -- wood substrate with aluminum/stainless wrapped on top. Strong and inexpensive.

- Matt
Old 08-30-2016, 12:01 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trailers of the East Coast
Sorry for the delay in responding, guys -- took a long weekend out of the office.

As far as sealing the sides, the 3M tape they use should take care of that. VHB is pretty hardy stuff, shouldn't let much in unless the tape loses its bond. If you felt like spending the time to do it, I'm sure a thin silicone sealant wouldn't hurt to keep moisture away from the adhesive, however.

As far as undercoating the trailer goes, you can (and should) absolutely have it done, just make sure the prep is done properly and all existing rust removed. There was an issue years ago with Sundowner horse trailers where a coating was applied to the frame that didn't bond properly -- they rusted from the inside out with no visible signs due to the coating sealing moisture and corrosion in with the steel. Bad news, lots of frames were replaced under warranty.

Hope this helps.

- Matt
Thanks for the help Matt!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:44 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hope this helps.

- Matt
Hi Matt
Hope you had a good long weekend. Your insights are a great help.
Did you have any thoughts as to what my 2010 counter is made of based on the pic I finally posted?
Old 08-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Matt
Hope you had a good long weekend. Your insights are a great help.
Did you have any thoughts as to what my 2010 counter is made of based on the pic I finally posted?
Hard to tell for sure, looks like galvaneal or maybe stainless. Doesn't look like aluminum in that photo.

- Matt
Old 08-30-2016, 09:07 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hard to tell for sure, looks like galvaneal or maybe stainless. Doesn't look like aluminum in that photo.

- Matt
Thank you, Matt. Sorry the photo is not more revealing.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll take a look in September

Quick Reply: What is the countertop on a 2010 Haulmark Edge made of?