Notices

New product for those of you with multiple tow vehicles -- IntelliHitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New product for those of you with multiple tow vehicles -- IntelliHitch

Just recently we've started carrying this product, the IntelliHitch. IntelliHitch incorporates a microprocessor controlled brake controller into an adjustable hitch that is easily installed or removed from any vehicle with a Class III, IV, or V receiver (2" or 2.5"). All it requires is the standard 7-pin RV trailer connector -- the hitch does the rest of the work. No RF units to worry about losing connection or failing, and no additional wiring to run.

This will save you from having to install brake controllers on multiple vehicles, especially RVs that may or may not already be set up with one.

Check them out at www.intelli-hitch.com and PM me or drop me an e-mail at mplaster@trailerseast.com if you're interested in one.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How is this better or worse than the Prodigy from Tekonsha? The RF thing just allows you to set the gain for trailer loading and in theory I thought by law you had to have an emergency brake control (through the RF on the Prodigy) available? I use to keep my controller in the console unless I really needed to switch gain settings. I see the 2.5HD only has 15,000 lb limit. Anything bigger? What about tongue weight?

Last edited by Viperbob1; 07-21-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:44 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
How is this better or worse than the Prodigy from Tekonsha? The RF thing just allows you to set the gain for trailer loading and in theory I thought by law you had to have an emergency brake control (through the RF on the Prodigy) available? I use to keep my controller in the console unless I really needed to switch gain settings.
You don't have to adjust anything on the Intellihitch -- it's fully automated and applies proportional braking based on a number of variables including tongue weight and force applied to the hitch during deceleration. It takes the fidgeting and guesswork out of trailer brakes.

To my knowledge, driver operated emergency brake controls are only required by law on commercial vehicles. Even breakaway systems are not required in every state -- check your local regulations before using a system such as this.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

So this seems like a surge brake-like conversion of electric brakes?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
So this seems like a surge brake-like conversion of electric brakes?
Gives you the best of both worlds, in a way. Easy maintenance and better performance of electric brakes with the simplicity of not requiring any vehicle based equipment with the exception of a fully functioning 7-way connector.

If you have one truck and one trailer, this probably isn't the setup for you. If you have 5-6 vehicles you'll possibly tow a trailer with and don't want to mess with putting a brake controller in each one (especially in the event they're not prewired), it's extremely convenient.

- Matt
Old 07-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do they have any weight distribution / sway control options? Cleary it cant work with some of the exisitng ones.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Do they have any weight distribution / sway control options? Cleary it cant work with some of the exisitng ones.
Not currently, although there are trailer manufacturers using it on the trailer side as a coupler device, in which it could feasibly be used with a variety of existing weight distributing/sway control systems.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:17 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a pretty cool hitch! Would you happen to know if ATC is possibly going to add this an an 'oem' coupling option?
Old 07-22-2016, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by shizzle
That's a pretty cool hitch! Would you happen to know if ATC is possibly going to add this an an 'oem' coupling option?
Not at the moment, but I'll get in touch with our rep and see if it's something we can make available to folks who want the option.

- Matt @ TOEC
Old 07-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor

Just an update, ATC is currently working with Intelli-hitch for me to get this set up as an available option across the board on ATC's custom trailers. Will post here with pricing information once I get it.

- Matt

Quick Reply: New product for those of you with multiple tow vehicles -- IntelliHitch