Notices

TPMS for Trailer - Great Investment

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Ten minutes after reading this entire thread while sitting in Starbucks yesterday morning... sure enough I got a utility knife razor blade stuck in one of my trailer tires. I got out of the truck and heard a very loud hissing. If it had happened out on the open road, I would have been clueless.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Ordered mine today to put on the new Goodyear Endurance tires.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 237 Posts

Jeez you guys are guilting me into buying a unit.
Did you guys get the anti-theft senders as opposed to the larger flow-through senders? The site doesn't recommend the flow-through on trailer tires.
I also read some stuff about rubber vs metal valve stems and possible failure of the rubber ones fro the added weight of the sensor. What are you all running?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:11 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Coochas
Jeez you guys are guilting me into buying a unit.
Did you guys get the anti-theft senders as opposed to the larger flow-through senders? The site doesn't recommend the flow-through on trailer tires.
I also read some stuff about rubber vs metal valve stems and possible failure of the rubber ones fro the added weight of the sensor. What are you all running?
Hi Dave
Bought my new tires today and asked the tire shop to contact the sensor company, which told them that good quality high pressure stems were fine. Metal wasn't necessary.
I bought the external sensors recommended in the original post.
I also bought my new driver's seat today in case you need more fun things to do. I hope it fits my car! Guys at HMS were their always helpful selves. Spent 2 hours helping me choose the right seat for me (original OMP HTE XL seat was too wide for me; the HRC standard seat is more snug and has more halo effect.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Dave
Bought my new tires today and asked the tire shop to contact the sensor company, which told them that good quality high pressure stems were fine. Metal wasn't necessary.
I bought the external sensors recommended in the original post.
I also bought my new driver's seat today in case you need more fun things to do. I hope it fits my car! Guys at HMS were their always helpful selves. Spent 2 hours helping me choose the right seat for me (original OMP HTE XL seat was too wide for me; the HRC standard seat is more snug and has more halo effect.
Thanks Rick!
If the old seat was simply too wide, why not just put on some extra pounds? That's what I've done.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:28 PM
dunlopnick
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for this thread - never thought about TPMS for the new trailer, but getting them now - better safe that sorry...
Old 04-24-2017, 02:33 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just installed my set. Nice and easy.
Looking forward to trying it out Wednesday when I fetch Super Cayman back from SST.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

My set arrived but the friction mount screw is stripped on the suction cup mount. They're sending replacement.
The sensors look like they'll fit under the hubcaps on my Aerovault. New Goose arrives in 2-3 weeks!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:28 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Saturday night heading North on 75 after driving at Sebring I saw a tire come off a trailer, it was a melted warped mess, I bet the owner wished they had a system like this. I tow a small tire trailer and I am thinking about it even though I am running only a tiny amount of the rated weight.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:07 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I LOVE this gadget. Gives me confidence when super hot out thinking tires may be overheating, or you hit a big pothole or bump and find no loss of pressure. Also cool as I just went from 10 ply to 14 ply tires and easy to reset the high and low settings. WELL WORTH THE MONEY.....

Quick Reply: TPMS for Trailer - Great Investment