Notices

Title Trailer Angle for deck over trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2023 | 08:25 PM
onthebrink
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Title Trailer Angle for deck over trailer

Hello. New guy here with no knowledge of towing for a 1977 911. I want to use a trailer I have to tow this car, I use this trailer for other things and I'm hoping

The angle is 15 degrees

it would work. Worried the angle of the trailer is too steep.

https://nationwidetrailers.com/view-...lt-Trailer-T8/

Is this trailer to step of an angle? I can build a step up of several 2X8's to lessen the angle.

Has anyone done such a thing?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-15-2023 | 09:18 PM
th964
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

You can use this Trail Ramp Calculator to determine the correct dimensions for a ramp. I use Race Ramps; they are pretty durable and lightweight. After a long track weekend, I appreciate how easy Race Ramps are to position and store.

I have no personal experience with that type of trailer, but I have seen a few folks struggle to drive their car up on that type of trailer when it is wet and/or raining outside.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you do!
Old 12-16-2023 | 12:53 PM
onthebrink
3rd Gear

Thank you for the thoughts and link to the calculator, very helpful.

This particular trailer is certainly not an optimum trailer for this but trying to figure out if its a real option.

Thank you again
The following users liked this post:
th964 (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023 | 01:48 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

That is a steep incline. While ground clearance on these old 911s is fairly forgiving, it will take some torque to get the car up that ramp which means you might go through a clutch every time you load. It will be quite challenging to slip it just right to get the car moving and in the right location. You will also need D rings front and rear. Strapping to the sides of the trailer looks like it would put quite a bit of stress on the car and suspension.
Old 12-16-2023 | 02:00 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,543 Likes on 1,862 Posts

With the correct set of ramps i dont see a problem. There is a plate to mount a winch and just add a warn remote power connector to the rear of your tow vehical. As said a few d-rings and u r set.
Old 12-17-2023 | 02:05 PM
onthebrink
3rd Gear

Thank you all for the replies. I can see some valid points on the clutch for sure. I was thinking if I used a winch to load that maybe this could solve some issues with both safety while loading and now possibly any clutch wear.

Off-topic-Is there a good solution for covering the windshield to avoid rock chips while in transit?

Thank you again for your advice.
Old 12-17-2023 | 09:54 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,543 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by onthebrink
Thank you all for the replies. I can see some valid points on the clutch for sure. I was thinking if I used a winch to load that maybe this could solve some issues with both safety while loading and now possibly any clutch wear.

Off-topic-Is there a good solution for covering the windshield to avoid rock chips while in transit?

Thank you again for your advice.
A panel mounted to the font of the trailer, kinda like a snowobile trailer. Its usually not an issue as u will get many moe chips on the track. U can always get windsheild tear offs.