Notices

New Timpte trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 01:23 AM
dsadoff
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Nugget How has your trailer been? I am thinking about purchasing one to replace my 20' Aluma and my enclosed 24' ATC.
The following users liked this post:
Vignesdd (10-01-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 12:54 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Still loving mine

It’s been great still going strong… squeaky tho
Old 02-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Casa de Mesa
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
its got airline track mount points on the rail.

Hey all. Just picked up a TIMPTE 720 for hauling my somewhat-new-to-me 2012 Cayman R. For those of you who have used the L-Track system (Logistics Track / Airline Track.), have you had any issues with the strength of either the anchors or L-Track rail in the trailer itself?

I have lots of experience with the typical D-rings you find on enclosed trailers, but this is my first experience with L-Track.

From what I've been able to find, each tie-down point has a break strength of up to 6,000 lb and a working load limit (WLL) of 2,000 lb. I say "up to" because it seems to depend on the type of anchor used and at what angle the strap is attached.

With those figures and using 4 straps to secure the car, I've always operated under the assumption that if one strap fails on either the front or rear, I need the 2nd strap (the one remaining) to be able to carry the WLL of the car. My Cayman R weighs about 3,000 lb wet, with a rollbar, etc. That's 1k # over the WLL of a single L-Track anchor point. Therefore, I'm considering getting one more strap for the F & R of the car and using an additional anchor point, making a total of 6 straps. Or possibly even 4 straps per end (8 straps total).

To complete the picture, I tie down at chassis points/tie downs and use Mac's Custom Tie downs with a WWL of 3,335 lb and break strength of 10k #, something like this: https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/s...chet/p/121007/

The L-Track system is new to me and while I definitely considered it before purchasing the trailer, I clearly didn't think it all the way through...
-Casa
Old 02-04-2024, 11:51 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 100 Posts

I was wondering how strong that track system was. Have you looked into getting D-rings installed? I’m contemplating a Timpte to replace my Aluma Tilt.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:27 AM
Casa de Mesa
6th Gear

Originally Posted by m3bs
I was wondering how strong that track system was. Have you looked into getting D-rings installed? I’m contemplating a Timpte to replace my Aluma Tilt.
Not yet. I'd prefer not to go down that path if I don't have to.

I have a feeling I'm not understanding how these mounting points work, as Futura, TIMPTE and others use this system and promote its ease of use and flexibility with respect to positioning mounting points / D-rings in various locations.

I was hoping to call TIMPTE this week, and/or Macs (they sell an L-track system) to get a better understanding of the engineering behind this system.

The TIMPTE 720 is a hell of a nice trailer though. It's very well made.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:17 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Casa de Mesa
I was hoping to call TIMPTE this week, and/or Macs (they sell an L-track system) to get a better understanding of the engineering behind this system.
I had a good talk with a Timpte rep this week who was able to address all of my concerns, and answer all of the questions that the dealer couldn’t. I’m now trying to work a trade for my Aluma tilt. PM me if you’d like his contact info.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:53 AM
Casa de Mesa
6th Gear

Right on. Appreciate that and will do.

Is that pic of your car in your profile at CMP by chance?
Old 02-10-2024, 10:30 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

That is indeed at CMP.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:52 AM
Casa de Mesa
6th Gear

That is indeed at CMP.
Nice. I know it well.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:07 AM
Biglife
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Came across this thread while researching Timpte & Futura trailers. It's encouraging to see that many here are satisfied with their purchases. I'm on the hunt for a convenient trailer solution to haul my 992 GT3 behind my SUV, which boasts a 7,000 lb tow capacity. I'll occasionally go on lengthy 1,500-mile journeys. Is this a viable option?
Old 02-12-2024, 01:43 PM
markk222
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a good talk with a Timpte rep this week who was able to address all of my concerns, and answer all of the questions that the dealer couldn’t. I’m now trying to work a trade for my Aluma tilt. PM me if you’d like his contact info.
Can I ask if you had any issues with your Aluma tilt? There was one local for sale and I was considering it.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:56 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

The biggest issue I had was vibration while towing. I was unable to resolve it with balancing, or replacement of wheels and tires. Aluma sent me a new set, but that didn’t fix it. I even replaced the new tires they provided with GY Endurance just in case it was related to cheap Westlake tires. Don’t know if it was unique to my trailer or tow vehicle combo, but I haven’t been able to resolve it. There’s another RL member who had similar issues, also unresolved AFAIK. I know others with the same trailer that have no problem…. I’m ready to move on.

Last edited by m3bs; 02-12-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:03 PM
markk222
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

The biggest issue I had was vibration while towing. I was unable to resolve it with balancing, or replacement of wheels and tires. Aluma sent me a new set, but that didn’t fix it. I even replaced the new tires they provided with GY Endurance just in case it was related to cheap Westlake tires. Don’t know if it was unique to my trailer or tow vehicle combo, but I haven’t been able to resolve it. There’s another RL member who had similar issues, also unresolved AFAIK. I know others with the same trailer that have no problem…. I’m ready to move on.
Thanks for the info. What length did you have?
Old 02-12-2024, 03:33 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markk222
Thanks for the info. What length did you have?
8218 Tilt with the low profile loading option, consisting of ramps, rear jackstands and rock shield. It’s available in SC……
Old 02-15-2024, 04:57 PM
Vignesdd
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 17 Posts

i have a 718 Tippet for the last year and i have been very satisfied. Move my cars around and did not incur any issue. It is important to load the car center on the trailer to get the right weight repartition on the trailer. Otherwise love it

Quick Reply: New Timpte trailer