Notices

Futura vs Trailex

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 10:42 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Futura vs Trailex

I moved my setup to a new Trailex CT-8055. The Futura trailer was great and convenient but sometimes simpler is better. I was dismayed the poor build quality of the Futura. Getting parts is a nightmare and you’re left with ordering parts from New Zealand with hefty shipping rates. You need new latches because they are damaged? $150 shipping from New Zealand. Additionally, the Futura would always stop working due to the battery always dying despite the ‘solar charging’ panel. You have to carry around a charger. Notice anything in this picture from my trip to Road Atlanta last summer… tail light fell off while I was driving.

Anyways, I purchased a CT-8055 and concluded despite the inconvenience of ramps that it’s much better. Will always work and parts are plentiful. Also, big shout out to Chris Hamilton at Track Focused Motorsports. I ordered my Trailex from him, and was very pleased with my transaction. He is located in Texas, and I am in North Carolina. I found out I had to leave on a llast minute deployment and Chris took care of everything while I was gone. Trailer was delivered to my door step on schedule and he made it very convenient for my wife.. Highly recommend.

The following 5 users liked this post by Five12Free:
Martin S. (03-26-2022), Matt Romanowski (03-01-2024), Nickshu (03-06-2022), RossP (03-08-2022), The_Backmarker (02-22-2024)
Old 03-05-2022, 01:49 PM
coss1600
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting to hear the quality on the futura. I do wish I have a futura sometimes because moving the ramp sucks. I am always scared of driving the car up the ramp too
Old 03-05-2022, 06:28 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coss1600
Interesting to hear the quality on the futura. I do wish I have a futura sometimes because moving the ramp sucks. I am always scared of driving the car up the ramp too
Ramps are definitely more difficult. If you’re not okay with driving the car up the ramps, opt for a winch bad winch it up.
The following users liked this post:
WhoDat996tt (02-23-2024)
Old 03-06-2022, 08:21 AM
TRACKD
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I can understand your position here, especially with the older version of the Futura. The new generation of the Futura was outstanding. I had zero issues with my trailer before I sold it to go enclosed. I needed to replace one latch on the battery box on the tongue and Autoquest (my local Futura dealer) had it in stock and replaced it right away. I never had battery issues, the wider deck and new axles were very sleek, and obviously not having to deal with ramps makes it a super quick process to load. I have no affiliation with Futura, I simply wanted to give my experience.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:27 AM
PGTGULF
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Same here, no complaints about my 2019 Futura. Only thing that needed replacement was the battery of the remote.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:56 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

As with anything newer is usually better. I’m sure 90% of folks won’t have issues.

I think they made the solar panel larger on the newer one but the issue remains that it mounts flat versus at angle. A friend of mine had a portable panel he would deploy that he could stand up and move throughout the year.
awrryan (03-12-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 07:27 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by coss1600
Once you see how little of the tire needs to be on the ramp to make it up just fine, you'll realize that as long as you are headed mostly straight and start generally in the right place, it's really hard to mess it up.
The following 2 users liked this post by DTMiller:
Henderjb (04-05-2024), mhm993 (03-15-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:10 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 168 Posts

Nothing against Futura (I've never owned one) but IMO with trailers, simple is better. The more complex your trailer is, the higher the likelihood you will have a malfunction that leaves you high and dry. Ramps are not hard to deal with and are dead reliable. Futura goes up but wont go down? Screwed. Goes down but wont go up? Screwed. To me the advantage of not having to deal with ramps is not worth the headache of a potential malfunction.
The_Backmarker (02-22-2024)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:13 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RossP
Nothing against Futura (I've never owned one) but IMO with trailers, simple is better. The more complex your trailer is, the higher the likelihood you will have a malfunction that leaves you high and dry. Ramps are not hard to deal with and are dead reliable. Futura goes up but wont go down? Screwed. Goes down but wont go up? Screwed. To me the advantage of not having to deal with ramps is not worth the headache of a potential malfunction.
I agree and I’m back to simple. The deciding factor for me to move to the Trailex wasn’t even my trailer breaking down but my friends. His Futura wouldn’t lock into the up position at the track and he was stuck miles away from home with trailer, track car and RV.
The following 2 users liked this post by Five12Free:
RossP (03-08-2022), The_Backmarker (02-22-2024)
Old 03-15-2022, 11:37 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
I moved my setup to a new Trailex CT-8055. The Futura trailer was great and convenient but sometimes simpler is better. I was dismayed the poor build quality of the Futura. Getting parts is a nightmare and you’re left with ordering parts from New Zealand with hefty shipping rates. You need new latches because they are damaged? $150 shipping from New Zealand. Additionally, the Futura would always stop working due to the battery always dying despite the ‘solar charging’ panel. You have to carry around a charger. Notice anything in this picture from my trip to Road Atlanta last summer… tail light fell off while I was driving.

Anyways, I purchased a CT-8055 and concluded despite the inconvenience of ramps that it’s much better. Will always work and parts are plentiful. Also, big shout out to Chris Hamilton at Track Focused Motorsports. I ordered my Trailex from him, and was very pleased with my transaction. He is located in Texas, and I am in North Carolina. I found out I had to leave on a llast minute deployment and Chris took care of everything while I was gone. Trailer was delivered to my door step on schedule and he made it very convenient for my wife.. Highly recommend.

Thank you my friend for an amazing recommendation. It was extremely easy to do business with you and I sincerely appreciate your service to our country!
Five12Free (03-21-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 03:57 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

Ramps are definitely more difficult. If you’re not okay with driving the car up the ramps, opt for a winch bad winch it up.
Opt for a winch with a remote control, makes it easy. I have had the Trailex and the Futura....sold them both and went enclosed, but that's another story. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy another Trailex with a winch, a tire rack and a wind shield. The Trailex ramps are long and skinny...the winch solves that problem. The trailer is very well made (In America), and super light weight and easy to tow.

In my Futura, I never had battery failure problems, but I did have an under-deck cable snap....luckily it happened in my driveway, I had two (2) jacks and was able to jack up the bed to engage the locks on both sides.. I then drove it up to my dealer for repairs.

Another nightmare to look forard to, should you need your trailer tire spare where Futura mounts it, Crazy enough, it's mounted under the deck of trailer, toward the front. Now how in the hell is one to conveniently and safely get access to that spare? You would have to lie on yur back under the trailer, and frst chip off all the mud and road debris off the sparer, unbolt the spare being certain the 50 + Lb. tire didn't fall on your chest. Furura didn't think this out very well.

The vehicle tie downs for the Furura wrap around the wheels. If you have a tight fender lip clearence, as I did, you are toast. I dumped these tie downs after ine first towing adventure.

All the time I had the Futura trailer I found myself rationalizing its shortcomings....never wanting to admit I had been sucked in by the moveable trailer bed and thinking I had eliminated my need for ramps....not true, I still need, albeit small, ramps to get my car on the trailer without rubbing.

Last edited by Martin S.; 03-26-2022 at 04:02 AM.
The_Backmarker (02-22-2024)
Old 10-25-2022, 08:40 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 308 Posts

Car looks really far forward even for a mid engine. How much tongue weight do you have?
Old 10-25-2022, 10:39 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgreer78
Car looks really far forward even for a mid engine. How much tongue weight do you have?
it’s at about 450lbs, within the 10-15%. The CT-8055 is really long. Tons of space behind the car and still a foot or more in front.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:30 PM
revolutioN99
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I loved my Futura trailer also before going enclosed. I have the newest version and one of the first ones in CA to receive it. Since I was one of the first I did have a couple issues which Futura resolved for me but the battery was always an issue for me too. Had to put a charger on it before using it every time.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:55 PM
jkg2101
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a futura super sport - i use traditional ratchet straps, dont have to use the wheel tie downs. Can secure car same as any other trailer. I am looking to sell my open futura (buying their enclosed one) if anyone is interested. Located in New York. I couldnt stand the trailex 11' ramps - lugging them in and out of the trailer body was torture for me. Absolutely delighted with the futura. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Futura vs Trailex