Notices

L-Track Install Help on Aluminum Trailer Interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 09:08 PM
Vahramhs
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default L-Track Install Help on Aluminum Trailer Interior

Hi all, I picked up a new 24' ATC trailer that I plan to haul our racecars in. It did not come with any E or L track on the walls. I bought some L-track from Mac's to install but I wanted some advice on how to install them on the walls? Has anybody done this after the fact? I can see where the seams are on the walls but that is it. I don't think that would be enough to hold anything? Just looking to secure items like fuel cans, ez-ups, small toolbox, etc. Nothing REALLY heavy but stuff weighing 100#s or so.

I am sure somebody else has done this before?
Old 09-29-2021, 10:22 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

I've seen lots of different innovative ideas. People run the track vertically, horizontally, on the floor, you name it. On the walls, you want to screw into the studs. I think atc trailers are 16", but some trailers are 24" on center. Shouldn't be hard to figure out.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:53 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have personally installed hundreds of feet of the alum airline track from mac. i think they call it versa track.

I counter sink the alum track to fit a screw flush so you can slide the clip past the screw.

I pre drill the studs, do Not use self tappers, they back out. I use the smallest drill bit I can to get the screw to really lock in. I usually install 1/4 screw. I would call ATC and see if they have the stud layout as it varies around the fenders and sometimes makes no sense. Unless you attach to a stud, it is a waste to put a screw in.

If you have the sheet metal trim at the top that is at an angle, remove it to see the stud layout.

Seems like overkill, but I typical remove all they exposed factory self taper screws and install a nice phillips head stainless screws. (except for anchors as stainless breaks too easy)
Old 10-06-2021, 05:46 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I would hesitate to use stainless steel screws into aluminum. Someone here probably knows more than I do, but I think that will lead to electrolysis (aluminum corrosion).
Old 10-07-2021, 04:06 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 651 Posts

There should be frame "studs" inside the aluminum skin. I have a schematic from Haulmark that shows exactly where they are on my trailer (measurement wise center to center). Maybe ATC could provide you with such a drawing if you contacted them?
Old 10-10-2021, 02:43 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Been doing that for 20 years with NO issues, but our gear is west coast based

I think water is required to create electrolysis isnt it?
Old 10-28-2021, 06:40 PM
lazyoldawg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Your should be able to locate the studs easily by pressing in lightly on the walls. ATC is 16" OC.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:06 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 101 Posts

Are the studs made from square tubing or [ channel? How wide and thick?
Old 10-28-2021, 07:26 PM
lazyoldawg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That I don't know. Would say they're at least an inch wide, if not more. Wood studs are 1and 3/4"
Old 11-08-2021, 03:33 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts

And make sure you know the depth of the stud before the screw attempts to penetrate the outside of the trailer. I modified the outside of my featherlite yesterday with a couple of screws that went a little too far in. I ended up using washers with 1 1/4” screws to prevent further exterior dimples. Unfortunately I didn’t start with the washers for the first 8 screws.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:06 PM
Vahramhs
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vahramhs
Hi all, I picked up a new 24' ATC trailer that I plan to haul our racecars in. It did not come with any E or L track on the walls. I bought some L-track from Mac's to install but I wanted some advice on how to install them on the walls? Has anybody done this after the fact? I can see where the seams are on the walls but that is it. I don't think that would be enough to hold anything? Just looking to secure items like fuel cans, ez-ups, small toolbox, etc. Nothing REALLY heavy but stuff weighing 100#s or so.

I am sure somebody else has done this before?
I finally got to this and had my cousin help hang these. I reached out to ATC and after calling about 15 times over multiple days I finally got someone to send me the schematic. Even then it was only one side. I talked to two different guys and they couldn’t have been more annoyed with my request. Pretty poor experience for a simple request for a very expensive product. I guess these days they have so much business it doesn’t matter.

I ended up taking off one of the electrical outlets to get a gauge of how thick the sidewalls and studs are. I used 3/4 inch stainless screws. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Vahramhs:
Fredman6 (05-03-2023), Nickshu (07-14-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 03:44 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks great! I’m wondering if there are any metallurgical experts here that might be able to solve a mystery for me. I had installed my e track in my aluminum trailer and after about 6 months a white residue with a rough surface appeared all over the place around the etrack. My trailer walls are aluminum as it’s not a finished insulated wall. I’m guessing mixing metals is to blame but it’s only on certain strips of the etrack. I tried wiping it down but it looks like a metal reaction so I imagine it’ll continue. Any ideas of what is going on and how to stop it?
Old 07-10-2022, 08:48 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Vahramhs
I finally got to this and had my cousin help hang these. I reached out to ATC and after calling about 15 times over multiple days I finally got someone to send me the schematic. Even then it was only one side. I talked to two different guys and they couldn’t have been more annoyed with my request. Pretty poor experience for a simple request for a very expensive product. I guess these days they have so much business it doesn’t matter.
I'm surprised ATC being a direct competitor to InTech just on the other side of Nappanee, Indiana, doesn't also maintain photos and drawings of every trailer they build like InTech does. I bought my InTech 24 tag trailer used in December 2020 about 6 years after it was built and was able to get a code from InTech customer support that allowed me to log in to the customer portal of their website and download and/or view all the construction photos and drawings of the trailer. I took the trailer back to InTech in August last year for some upgrades and they used the old drawings as a starting point. I got a set of new drawings when they were done.

FWIW, InTech puts 1/8" aluminum backers between the studs anywhere airline or E-track is installed on the walls.
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (07-14-2022)
Old 08-20-2023, 08:19 PM
errance
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi OP, it's been a year since you installed that track. Any issues, or is it holding up well?
I got my 24" ATC with one row of track, and I'm thinking about adding a 2nd row right above the floor in some area.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:41 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
I have personally installed hundreds of feet of the alum airline track from mac. i think they call it versa track.

I counter sink the alum track to fit a screw flush so you can slide the clip past the screw.

I pre drill the studs, do Not use self tappers, they back out. I use the smallest drill bit I can to get the screw to really lock in. I usually install 1/4 screw. I would call ATC and see if they have the stud layout as it varies around the fenders and sometimes makes no sense. Unless you attach to a stud, it is a waste to put a screw in.

If you have the sheet metal trim at the top that is at an angle, remove it to see the stud layout.

Seems like overkill, but I typical remove all they exposed factory self taper screws and install a nice phillips head stainless screws. (except for anchors as stainless breaks too easy)

@stujelly do you reccommend using sheet metal screws to attach the track to the aluminum studs? Or which style screw holds best from your experience?

Quick Reply: L-Track Install Help on Aluminum Trailer Interior