Notices

Going solar with trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019 | 08:41 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 292 Posts

Well, all wired up but not so neat. I can tidy this up while at the track this weekend.
Tristar 60 with optional meter panel. I used 4)#10 wires from controller to batteries to keep voltage drop to a minimum. They have a copped lug crimped on the ends.

Another view of that area with the inverter showing. That is fed with welding cable.
Old 05-17-2019 | 08:51 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Pic of very cluster fooked battery pit. This is a high current accident waiting to happen. I have already made plans to make a close by 12 volt panel with copper buss bars to tidy up the pit and make connections easy and safe. Inverter, winch, landing gear, charge from controller all are high current connections and need proper fuse for each.

And a pic of the chest fridge. Can be a freezer too if needed. No more ice and ice packs. No more finding food floating around in ice water.

Old 05-17-2019 | 09:36 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 180 Posts

Nice install! Nothing like the feeling of a solid DIY.

Now go fill two or three of these 2/3 of the way with tap water and freeze them and put them in there and save those batteries!
Old 05-20-2019 | 08:53 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Default Maiden voyage report.

5+ hour Friday drive to New York Safety Track, cloudy day with some rain. Plugged in reef (70 watts @12v) and no battery usage for the trip. Left trailer in paddock and Sat morning whatever battery usage Friday night was topped off by 7:30 AM. I like it. Warmed up a bit Sat but no battery usage until Sat night. I pulled my hot GT3 into the trailer around 5 and closed it up for the night. Sunday started with clouds and rain but battery bank was still topped off by 7:30. Got to 85 degrees Sunday and I lgave my car 30 min to cool after my last session before pulling it in and closing things up. Halfway home I checked inside at a fuel stop and reef was 3 Celsius inside, trailer was friggen hot inside from sun and car. Now 7:45 Monday morning, overcast and low 60s (f) outside. Battery bank at 13.1 volts taking a 36 watt sip from the panels. Reef is 3C (reef does not have F).
So far this is working exactly as I planned. Still cold beer and not spoiled food in the trailer.
Old 05-20-2019 | 09:45 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
5+ hour Friday drive to New York Safety Track, cloudy day with some rain. Plugged in reef (70 watts @12v) and no battery usage for the trip. Left trailer in paddock and Sat morning whatever battery usage Friday night was topped off by 7:30 AM. I like it. Warmed up a bit Sat but no battery usage until Sat night. I pulled my hot GT3 into the trailer around 5 and closed it up for the night. Sunday started with clouds and rain but battery bank was still topped off by 7:30. Got to 85 degrees Sunday and I lgave my car 30 min to cool after my last session before pulling it in and closing things up. Halfway home I checked inside at a fuel stop and reef was 3 Celsius inside, trailer was friggen hot inside from sun and car. Now 7:45 Monday morning, overcast and low 60s (f) outside. Battery bank at 13.1 volts taking a 36 watt sip from the panels. Reef is 3C (reef does not have F).
So far this is working exactly as I planned. Still cold beer and not spoiled food in the trailer.
There is no better feeling than a project well executed.
Old 05-20-2019 | 03:20 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Nice work!

Quick Reply: Going solar with trailer.