Notices

Enclosed Trailer Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 04:01 PM
rastta
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lcrain
I would love to do arrive and drive haha. Need to make some more money first. The race shop that does a lot of the heavy lifting for my M3 has an awesome rig/toter setup that he will fill with customer cars for race weekends. Goals to strive for I guess, more than I can afford pal.
I think he meant that he would once again just drive his car to and at the event. He'd come full circle
Old 12-20-2018, 04:42 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rastta
I think he meant that he would once again just drive his car to and at the event. He'd come full circle
I long for those days, but I think I would miss the added security of the cage/other safety equipment and the confidence that gives me to go a bit faster.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,353 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Keep in mind that when most vehicles post their maximum tow weight the max amount includes the use of a weight distribution hitch. Even if you are not at your max weight a good weight distribution hitch really helps make the ride safer and more enjoyable.

This is the brand I use and I swear by it: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

I used to tow with a 2010 Infiniti QX56. It is a huge SUV but when towing a 27 foot steel trailer I felt like I was going to die. When I put the Equal-I-zer hitch it tamed the beast. That being said even though the Infiniti had a big engine it was not up to the task and neither was the transmission that blew up.

Electric brakes are also a MUST! I once turned the sensitivity all the way down because I was in traffic and when I had to make a panic stop later on when traffic came to a halt I also creamed the car in front of me. Electric brakes make a huge difference in stopping distance.

I now have a 2010 Ford F-350 Diesel. With this big truck, and the weight distribution hitch, I almost forget that I am towing.

Bigger is better - I can never go back.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:51 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

DITTO, all of the above
Old 12-23-2018, 07:09 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WDH, air bags to stabilize the rear end, and look into a small tranny cooler....
Old 12-27-2018, 08:37 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Regarding your question about Diesel - VS- Gas. Here is some info.. I tow a V-Nose 24Ft Enclosed. I don't Drive my Duramax in the winter but I had to Drive to Indiana from Buffalo with it in the winter one time to pick up some production equipment for work.
The Gas 5.3 Chevy LS engine in a 1500 4x4.. 8 MPG …I had to fill up every 100 miles... they shut my credit card off because they thought someone stole it.... almost got stranded.. LOL
The Diesel 2500 Duramax 4x4 with 6"lift and 35's Still get 16 No Issues pulling.. AND I can Roll in overdrive down the highway.
Economy aside, Its just so much nicer not to have to hear the engine screaming and stop so often for fuel... Not that I mind screaming engines but only in my racecar...
I also Live in area of the country with allot of hills.. almost every direction there is some good hills, and I tend to cruise with traffic 70 MPH with the trailer. The Diesel will do that in overdrive with no issues. Duramax, Power stoke, Cummings, Doesn't matter.. I chose the Chevy mainly because of the Allison.. that Trans is Massive and reliable..
Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 AM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Question on a used trailer. A friend is selling the exact trailer I want, a 2015. His has a winch, some nice tracks for additional mounting along the floor and the sides of the interior, lots of lighting, a battery with outlets and a camera system. Recently repacked bearings and new tires. He is asking $17,500. Any insight on price?

A local-ish trailer store has a 2019 listed for $15.6, but it's bare bones. Having them price-out a similar build for comparisons sake.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:59 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lcrain
Question on a used trailer. A friend is selling the exact trailer I want, a 2015. His has a winch, some nice tracks for additional mounting along the floor and the sides of the interior, lots of lighting, a battery with outlets and a camera system. Recently repacked bearings and new tires. He is asking $17,500. Any insight on price?

A local-ish trailer store has a 2019 listed for $15.6, but it's bare bones. Having them price-out a similar build for comparisons sake.
Same brand, same trailer, different year? Otherwise, you're comparing apples to oranges. It's easy to run up 2 grand putting fancy stuff in the trailer. Depends on if you like the layout of the current stuff, what condition the used one is in, and whether you're willing to do the work yourself on the new one to save some money. A decent winch isn't cheap, and neither is retrofitting an electric panel and wiring, especially if you want to tie in the DC battery to run electric when there's no shore power and to keep the battery charged when you do have shore power.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:24 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
Same brand, same trailer, different year? Otherwise, you're comparing apples to oranges. It's easy to run up 2 grand putting fancy stuff in the trailer. Depends on if you like the layout of the current stuff, what condition the used one is in, and whether you're willing to do the work yourself on the new one to save some money. A decent winch isn't cheap, and neither is retrofitting an electric panel and wiring, especially if you want to tie in the DC battery to run electric when there's no shore power and to keep the battery charged when you do have shore power.
I apologize for the bad description. They are both Featherlite 4926 20' trailers. My friends is a 2015, the new one is a 2019. I asked the dealer to price out a winch setup, electric panel/battery setup and some lighting. Imagine that will not be cheap.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:56 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Won't be cheap, but if you have the time and energy to do it yourself, it's not that difficult, especially if it's not finished on the inside. Featherlites are nice trailers, but a tad on the heavy side. What are you towing it with?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:47 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
Won't be cheap, but if you have the time and energy to do it yourself, it's not that difficult, especially if it's not finished on the inside. Featherlites are nice trailers, but a tad on the heavy side. What are you towing it with?
F150 4x4 w/ecoboost. Likely will add some airbags and maybe a weight distributing hitch if I feel I need it.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:11 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a 2006 24 ft Featherlite trailer for sale .Has finished inside with cabinets and a winch.2 tire racks ,heavy duty axels and much moreI pull it with an F150
Old 01-17-2019, 12:25 PM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2013 jimglo 20 foot trailer for sale
very user friendly . lots of storage and access
very light
Old 01-24-2019, 05:31 PM
PBR Racing
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
I have a 2006 24 ft Featherlite trailer for sale .Has finished inside with cabinets and a winch.2 tire racks ,heavy duty axels and much moreI pull it with an F150
Where is it located and what are you asking?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up with a brand new Featherlite 4926-0020 20 ft. enclosed trailer. We did our first race weekend this past weekend, logging 1400 miles or so all in round trip from Dallas to Birmingham to race with WRL at Barber! What an awesome track! The trailer was great and the F-150 did admirably well. I bought a weigh safe hitch and put some air bags in the rear. Truck felt really solid and stable. Looking forward to building out the interior a bit to optimize storage space.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer Advice Needed