Notices

12/120 volt fridge for trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts
Default 12/120 volt fridge for trailer

I bought this unit last week and it had its first test this weekend at Club Motorsports. Drove up Friday, drove home Monday. (Thank you NCR for the event, was freekin awesome)
Amazon Amazon

So all is good so far. Loaded it Friday morning and 4 hours later it was still running from the power supply on the right, but close to shutting off due to battery saver settings in the fridge. Power supply on the left has a 28 amphr gel battery and was good for at least 9 hours. We brought all into our hotel room and plugged the fridge into the wall for the night, charged the battery packs too. Was not that difficult as the Econo Lodge has rooms where I could back my pickup right up to our door and easy to carry in. NO ICE PACKS! Pretty happy so far and because the ride home was longer I plugged the fridge into the pair of Optima 100s in the battery compartment in the trailer. I did that Sunday evening around 6:30 after loading my car (still hot) and all was good until we got home around 1:00 Monday afternoon. Hope to get the 600+ watt solar array set up on the trailer roof over the winter. I did get a 100 watt portable solar charger but did not have a proper connection to run the fridge and charge at the same time.
The unit has a big deep "freezer" compartment that I adjusted the temp to cool down to 34 degrees. The smaller compartment is called the refrigerator compartment. I used that for stuff that just needs to be cool, fruit, pita bread, etc.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

I just use a wheeled 70 qt cooler and raid the ice machines at the hotel nightly and in the am. I also use a mini table top grill with an adapter hose for a 20 lbs propane tank for quick lunches. What do you use?
Old 09-12-2018, 01:24 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for posting - been considering something like this myself!

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Hope to get the 600+ watt solar array set up on the trailer roof over the winter.
600 watts! Thats a lot, what are you going to do with all that power? My experience with solar is it was more about batteries than the panels.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
I just use a wheeled 70 qt cooler and raid the ice machines at the hotel nightly and in the am. I also use a mini table top grill with an adapter hose for a 20 lbs propane tank for quick lunches. What do you use?
I used to use ice from home and hotel but you need a lot and water levels in the cooler was a pita to manage. For about the last 8 years I have been using the blue freezer packs and have a medium fridge in my garage to keep them in until needed. Ice and freezer packs add weight and take up space. This unit looks small but no need for ice or freezer pack space. No water to deal with, and temp stays constant.
I eat a good breakfast and on autocross days or track days I eat little bits throughout the day, and bring fruit like grapes or cherries. And left over meals from where we have dinner the nights before the event.

Originally Posted by pkh
Thanks for posting - been considering something like this myself!
I have 4 flexible peel and stick panels that are about 15 feet long. A bit over 600 watts total. But 600 may be in perfect alignment with sun and these will be stuck on the roof. I need to charge the batteries from the night before and that may include a hot day and putting a hot car in the trailer. Also need to power a 42 inch screen to review sessions/autocross runs, and need to power several fans to keep the trailer cool. And would like to power the systems at our autocross events, no need for a generator.

600 watts! Thats a lot, what are you going to do with all that power? My experience with solar is it was more about batteries than the panels.
I have 2 Optima 100 amphr batteries in the floor for power and want the 600+ watts of solar to charge them as well as power a fan for inside breeze, and maybe to help with power for the autocross events I am part of. At track I want the fans and charging. Also want to view vids of the sessions on the 42" monitor I have inside my trailer, need power for that and to help a laptop.
The solar panels I have are flexible and about 15 feet long. The solid cells weigh a pantload more than the flexible, and the flexible have peel and stick on the back.
This was not my first choice in fridge but it was a last min decision so went with it.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Follow up. Not very hot this weekend and I plugged the unit into the AC in my garage around noon time, pre chill it. Filled it with food and loaded it in the trailer around 4 that afternoon, now on the 12 volt batteries. That was Friday. Got home Saturday evening and just parked it. Around noon Sunday the fridge was still running. Emptied the trailer and hooked up the digital charger. 48% left in battery pack, a bit over 12.4 volts. So far very happy and think that for really hot weather we will just bring a small but sorta tall cooler for water and drinks. Can use ice if needed. No more waterlogged food from melting ice packs. Did not happen a lot, but sucks when it did. I did have plenty of reserve in LI power packs, did not need.
Full solar system happening in November I hope. Got most everything on hand.

Quick Reply: 12/120 volt fridge for trailer