Notices

BMW F15 X5 Platform - Prodigy RF Wireless Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 04:46 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default BMW F15 X5 Platform - Prodigy RF Wireless Brake Controller

Has anyone got this to the Prodigy RF Wireless Brake controller Item # 90250 to work with the BMW X5 F15 platform with the BMW OEM Trailer Equipment? If so, how?
Old 08-13-2017, 11:41 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Replied to your email. Easy to hookup hardwired controller to factory harness. Just plugs in.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2017, 05:53 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Has anyone got this to the Prodigy RF Wireless Brake controller Item # 90250 to work with the BMW X5 F15 platform with the BMW OEM Trailer Equipment? If so, how?

Wireless Tekonsha does not need any hookup to the tow vehicle. Handled unit plugs into 12V lighter and communicates wirelessly to the unit on trailer tongue.

Maybe I dont understand the question.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:25 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
Wireless Tekonsha does not need any hookup to the tow vehicle. Handled unit plugs into 12V lighter and communicates wirelessly to the unit on trailer tongue.

Maybe I dont understand the question.
You don't.

How does it know when you press the brake? How will it transmit that wirelessy to the trailer?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:07 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
You don't.

How does it know when you press the brake? How will it transmit that wirelessy to the trailer?
The handheld unit is in truck. All it really does is allow to adjust the trailer braking strength and acts as an indicator of the trailer's braking intensity (digital readout). This is done wirelessly.
The unit on the trailer has acceleration sensor that proportionately activates the trailer brakes. Handheld not even needed once adjusted, although offers the ability to manually activate brakes in an emergency.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 PM
IProkopiw
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could not get the handheld controller to link to the trailer unit on an Audi Q7. Known problem with European vehicles which apparently do not supply power unless they sense a trailer is attached. Synced my Prodigy RF unit on a friends F350, and has worked on the Audi flawlessly since.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:50 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

I made a test harness to power the trailer that I used to pair it. I've had trouble with the RF's behavior, but I seem to be in the minority. The X5 trailer controller seems to be very aggressive with turning off power to a pin when it senses something wrong. I also had trouble upgrading to LED tail lights, there was not enough current for the X5 to think the lights were working. Without power or brake lights, no brakes on the RF unit. My 1st and 2nd RF units pulse the brakes when the signal light is on.

I moved to the BMW Prodigy P2 last night and picked up the trailer this AM to get ready for a trip. The P2 worked great. The harness plugged right into the factory plug.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I made a test harness to power the trailer that I used to pair it. I've had trouble with the RF's behavior, but I seem to be in the minority. The X5 trailer controller seems to be very aggressive with turning off power to a pin when it senses something wrong. I also had trouble upgrading to LED tail lights, there was not enough current for the X5 to think the lights were working. Without power or brake lights, no brakes on the RF unit. My 1st and 2nd RF units pulse the brakes when the signal light is on.

I moved to the BMW Prodigy P2 last night and picked up the trailer this AM to get ready for a trip. The P2 worked great. The harness plugged right into the factory plug.
Good point on the LEDs !
My 2010 ML did not like the LEDs and had to change out for regular tail lamps.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:28 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 2012 GL450. It didn't recognize the LED lights on my trailer, thus the Prodigy P3 did not work correctly. I used the following adapter from Curt so that the LEDs were recognized by the tow vehicle. Using the Curt adapter, the Prodigy recognized the lights and everything worked fine.

LINK LINK
Old 10-16-2018, 11:11 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I realize this is an old post - but helped me so thought I'd update in case it helps others. I have a new X5. Ordered the BMW wire harness and had installed. Required dealer to program the ECU to read it. Then purchased the Tekonsha Prodigy wireless brake controller from etrailer.com. Installed per instructions and everything works perfect, braking and all the trailer LED lights.

Quick Reply: BMW F15 X5 Platform - Prodigy RF Wireless Brake Controller