Notices

Living quarter trailers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:06 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Did not come with that option. I'd like to add something down the road, but not sure if I'll go with the Ford kit because the wiring is too short and require an extension kit for a 40' trailer, and I'd like to get a rear view camera that's always on instead of only on when the truck is in Reverse.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the Ram's they sell a box (called a lockpick) you install between the radio and wiring harness to be able to have the rear camera on demand, DVD playback while driving, etc. Maybe someone has something similar for fords.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
As for the truck, definitely go dually. The 350 did OK with the car in the back and water tanks empty, but I was bouncing off the bump stops with the headlights pointed toward the sky most of the time...which led me to this hoss
Nice trailer! With your previous SRW 3500, did you modify the suspension for the extra weight or was it all stock?

Old 07-16-2018, 01:45 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

It was all stock. I could’ve tried air bags, but the rear axle would still be overloaded and the tires likely would’ve as well. I’m sure plenty of people out there tow heavier with a SRW or even a 3/4 ton, but I’d rather err on the side of caution with all that weight behind me, nevermind having my family in the truck with me.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:21 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Ahhh the slippery slope. all things i have done....

I need a bigger trailer
I need a better tow vehicle
I need a better race vehicle
I need a bigger trailer
I need a bigger tow vehicle.

Very nice setup. Enjoy!!!!
Old 08-23-2018, 03:01 AM
mark boschert
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Pace Explorer XT 24 ft car hauler with 2 fold down couches/twin beds, small kitchen, shower/commode combo, microwave, TV with AC, tire racks, tool boxes, and generator box on the tongue which I bought used for $13k. Not sure if they still make it but have seen several 2007-09 in good condition. I tow it with a 2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with no difficulty (~7500 lbs with SPB inside).
Old 08-23-2018, 10:58 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

IMO gooseneck trailers with garage + living quarters dont really solve the problem that well. (Even 50+ ft goosenecks arent long enough to have enough garage space and living space). The setups I have seen work best are motorhomes towing a ~28 ft enclosed trailer, or a toterhome/stacker combo. Racing junk is a great place to find used rigs particularly in the winter. I have seen gently used toterhome/stacker rigs going for 150k which is not bad considering the cost of a new Ford, GMC, Dodge dually.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:33 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Unless you go BIG anything you get to do both jobs (hauling a car and hauling a family) will do neither well. Better off with a slightly smaller than optimal enclosed and a medium sized RV instead of trying to find a trailer + truck.
I have tried toy haulers and various motorhome combinations. I recently downsized from a 2006 39' diesel pusher to a 2018 27' gas chassis. I am currently hauling a 28' car hauler. The pusher was too long for many RV parks and especially state and federal camp sites. The combo on the highway was heavy and tiring to drive. The new motorhome can go to almost any state and federal camping area and any RV park without issue. I have driven the combo to Denver and to Austin, Tx and found it easier to drive than the pusher was. The drawback is there is more engine noise but it is not annoying if I keep the speed under 70. 65 mph seems to be the sweet spot and the trailer tires don't get too hot either. Fuel economy is the same which is a surprise. Operating costs are always less with a gas coach compared to a diesel pusher. A huge issue that people don't consider, is that the engine heat in the pusher makes the master bedroom uncomfortable for 6 or 7 hours after every trip. Not a problem in the winter, but in Az, heat is our enemy 10 months of the year. The gas coach doesn't heat up the bedroom so I can nap immediately after a long drive.
The new gas coaches are finally built the way they should be. My first gas class A in 2002 was a p.o.s. and forced me into a diesel. Had Ford made the earlier F53 chassis this good, I would have kept it and saved a couple hundred thousand.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
Just to close the loop here - brought this home today. 40’ Sundowner, 22’ LQ with a 18’ garage. If I were to have ordered, the garage would’ve been larger and the exterior color not so ugly, but this was local and I could make it happen by WGI next weekend. My wife is thrilled so far, and that’s what really counts!
That's my dream setup there. Congrats!
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 48' Featherlite with about a 26' garage, and a 14' living area (+ queen bed in gooseneck). It has a pullout sofa, kitchen, bath and shower. We have 3 small kids, so it's a little tight with sleeping, but it's really nice to have the family come and have a place to stay and nap. I started with a 24' Featherlite that was insulated and air conditioned, and we camped in it. It's really nice to have the separate areas with a family. There is no perfect solution, no matter how much money you spend...... I've looked at a lot of different options, and this still seems the best for my use. The pluses are what I mentioned above, and having a truck to go to dinner with friends, and I use the truck during the week. The downsides are the length and manuevering and storing. And, you really need a dually towing which is a pain to park vs my old 2500. I lusted after a friend's 44' Featherlite with living quarters, and almost bought it, but a 26' garage is about the bare minimum to have a golf cart, which is huge for having family at the track and self supporting. Couldn't have had that with the 44'. I've had the rig for about 2 years now, and couldn't see doing anything different for a while. I do miss the simplicity of my old rig at times though....

David
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RossP
IMO gooseneck trailers with garage + living quarters dont really solve the problem that well. (Even 50+ ft goosenecks arent long enough to have enough garage space and living space). The setups I have seen work best are motorhomes towing a ~28 ft enclosed trailer, or a toterhome/stacker combo.
It's all a compromise. I very briefly considered a motorhome as the extra living space would be nice, but it's just something else to store and maintain plus it makes gas and food runs at the track a little tougher. My pickup also serves as my DD for the most part, so it's just what works for us right now.

Originally Posted by dwe8922
I have a 48' Featherlite with about a 26' garage, and a 14' living area... There is no perfect solution, no matter how much money you spend..... And, you really need a dually towing which is a pain to park vs my old 2500. I lusted after a friend's 44' Featherlite with living quarters, and almost bought it, but a 26' garage is about the bare minimum to have a golf cart, which is huge for having family at the track and self supporting....I do miss the simplicity of my old rig at times though....
I basically agree with everything you said - just to add a couple of thoughts in case anyone else is considering a similar setup...
-An 18' garage is too small. I initially thought I could keep the trailer at my house and tow with an SRW 350. Neither turned out to be feasible, so I should've gone with a bigger trailer as the garage on my 40 footer is very snug...you did it right with a 26' garage.
-The dually is no harder to park than my SRW 350 was, as I'm parking in the middle of nowhere either way. In fact, in my case the sharper turning radius of the 450 dually makes it significantly easier to park than a 350. Daily driving is no problem - if the mirrors make it, the fender flares will make it
-I too sometimes long for the days of throwing my Craftsman toolkit and compressor into the car and heading off to the track! I think I've made it nearly as complex as I can...

Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 PM
ads4189
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the last couple of years I have run a 48' 5th wheel that has about 28' of garage for a car, golf cart and 2 wheel sets, tools, etc. Sadly my 2002 F-350 dually struggled a little and I had to upgrade to a Freightliner FL-60. A/C at the track is a wonderful thing!

Quick Reply: Living quarter trailers