Notices

Minimalist trailer set-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 03:42 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekiller
Just to make sure I am understanding. Are you saying that raising the ball height would increase tongue weight?
Yes, as the ball height increases, tongue weight increases. My simple spreadsheet model follows this pattern as well. When the tongue is lifted, some weight is transferred from the trailer's front axle to the rear axle (I did not characterize the weight shift). I don't believe the system CG changes very much, which means the additional weight on the rear axle causes more moment that has to be reacted by the tongue weight.

Here is some of the data I recorded for securing the car in two different places on the trailer. Dots/symbols are data points and black lines are data fits. The blue diamonds have the car placed farther from the ball/hitch than the red squares. I do not recall what height made the trailer level, but that would be good to know. It makes sense that the closer the car is to the ball, the more the tongue weight is.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the analysis. I am a switching from a Touareg TDI to Jeep GC ecodiesel and was wondering how the slightly higher ball height would effect it. This is great news as I was always a little light on tongue weight
Old 04-05-2018, 03:41 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are light on tongue weight you can also just add ballast onto the front of the trailer or move the car forward on the trailer some if there is space.

Quick Reply: Minimalist trailer set-up